Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 SHO - who dunit?, I'm going to do it - 3.2L V6 SHO
Crazyhippy
post May 7 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #21

Insert witty comment here...

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,493
Region Association: None

My last boat... The SHO does not sound even close...

Youtube Video link

Just under 8K rpm there... turned 9300 at will when propped right (ran 117MPH and ran out of room)

BJH
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 7 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #22

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 7 2008, 06:57 AM) *

IMHO, 220 hp isn't enough of a gain to bother with. Your adding hp but the negitive effect is the high roll center change. I'd do a Subi before a Sho. cool intake though.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
No question it is a great motor. But when it is a lot easier to install a 300hp boxer that is lighter and keeps the CG way lower, I can't think of a reason to do it. Except that it hasn't been done yet.... Hmm. Ok, DO IT!
+Quote Post
Ferg
post May 7 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

another SHO fan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Eric, didn't know you were the club prez (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Anyhow, being the son of a Ford Dealer in MI, I drove one of every generation as a demo. Looking back the very first one with a five speed was my favorite.

I remember a Lotus S1 with a SHO swap, I thought that was a very cool swap.

Ferg
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 7 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #24

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Looking back the very first one with a five speed was my favorite.

That was mine. It was VERY fast. I hit "over" 145mph coming back from Flint to Lansing one night. For some reason it easily walked all over the other SHO's, even chipped and Borla examples (many caravans to Detroit, Atlanta, etc.). It ws the first SHO at the dealership in Arlington Heights. Came with a leather drivers seat... weird.

The Indiana State Police couldn't catch me once. I slowed to 90 out of respect for the MSP (mom worked there) and it took him 4 miles into Michigan before I even saw the lights to pull over... he was kinda mad. ($50.00 fine and plea in abeyence)

I had a 93 Auto as well... not nearly as fun.

My all time favorite SHO mechanic went to a Ford dealer in MI... GR I think. Mike something...??
+Quote Post
dinomium
post May 7 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #25

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 74
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

One of the Grassroots 2007 challenge cars was a SHO 914~

From grm forum

dem boyz be bout haf crazy!
+Quote Post
orange914
post May 8 2008, 12:49 AM
Post #26

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(LvSteveH @ May 6 2008, 11:45 PM) *

The Ford SHO was a taurus with a high performance motor built by Yamaha. One of the most beautiful intakes ever on a production car. It is reported to be capable of reving to 10,000 rpms without breaking a sweat. Keeping the belts on would probably be a problem if you had the guts to try (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Here's a couple pics to show the height. I doubt a dry sump pan would be enough. It looks like the crankshaft centerline to the top of the intake is too far to fit in a 914 engine bay.

back when ford was developing the motor it would puke out the alternator guts spinning it so fast and the only way they could granade it at high rpms was to run it dry. i remember driving it when it first hit the showroom, that thing pulled (smooth as silk) all the way thru the band

insanely beautiful intake, it has 2 powdercoated sets of intake runners... one for bottom end than switches over for upper rpm

GO 4 IT!
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post May 8 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #27

Unregistered

I need to get one of those SHO things and get rid of my doggy daily driver ... Can you believe that my daily driver is uses a quart of oil every 2500 miles and it only has 315,000 miles! In addition, it only has a measily 256 horsepower (wouldn't you expect more from a 3.5 liter engine back in 1987?).

Where do you get one of those SHO things?

Eddie
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post May 8 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #28

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

i use to own a ford - i mean knew a guy that owned a ford festiva - yeah - that's it

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789789

jay leno has a sho powered ford festiva
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post May 8 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 3,061

The SHO's were assembled in the Atlanta Ford plant. One day I say in the local paper a crate motor with an independant wireing harness and computer. A friend bought it ( he had 2 sho sedans) and installed it in a 4 door Jag. He told me the rev limiter was set at 8000 but Yamaha said it could go to12000.
+Quote Post
shelby/914
post May 8 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 4,655

There was one at the Shelby convention last summer at Miller.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
3d914
post May 10 2008, 09:42 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

Here's a part of an article about the 3.0L SHO engine. Note it indicates this is a compact V6 engine.

In the mid 1980s, Ford Motor Company worked with Yamaha Motor Corporation to develop a compact 60° DOHC V6 engine for transverse application. This engine intended was to power a mid-engine sports car, but that project (known internally as GN34) was cancelled. Instead, Ford decided to place the engine, dubbed the Super High Output (or SHO) into the front wheel drive Ford Taurus sedan.

The SHO engines share a common bell housing pattern with the following Ford engines: the 2.3/2.5 L FWD HSC I4, the 3.0L FWD/RWD Vulcan V6, and the 3.8 FWD Canadian Essex V6.

Due to the engine's unusual and aesthetically pleasing appearance as well as its compatibility with common Ford RWD transmissions, such as the AOD and T-5, it is sometimes transplanted into other vehicles. The distinctive intake manifold is bilaterally symmetrical, so it can be rotated 180 degrees (making it face "backwards" on the engine, relative to its original installation orientation) to ease the engine's transition from transverse to longitudinal mounting.

It sure would be nice to find a source of detailed info like cross-sections, cut-aways, etc. It would make these custom applications less like trail & error.

ENjoy!
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 10 2008, 09:53 AM
Post #32

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20

QUOTE(Eddie914 @ May 8 2008, 06:59 PM) *

I need to get one of those SHO things and get rid of my doggy daily driver ... Can you believe that my daily driver is uses a quart of oil every 2500 miles and it only has 315,000 miles! In addition, it only has a measily 256 horsepower (wouldn't you expect more from a 3.5 liter engine back in 1987?).

Where do you get one of those SHO things?

Eddie
And what would that be? The "doggy daily driver" that is?

I do like those SHO motors. 'Specially with a 5 speed. Years ago when they were still recent, I did a test drive with one up I-70 into the mountains. Fuchin screamin all the way... almost got a ticket. I considered buying an SHO a few years back for a DD.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 10 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #33

PMB Performance

jay leno has a sho powered ford festiva

I believe those are called SHOguns.

I had SHO(s) as daily drivers for 8 years. Proof that you can easily fall in love with an engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
3d914
post May 11 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #34

Since there was so much interest as to the fit of the SHO V6, I'll copy my engine bay posts from my progress thread over here. I've been getting measurements for the transmission and the cross-section of the engine bay. From this I feel I can get a good idea of engine fit. I've entered all the data into CAD and here is what I have so far.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1210536955.jpg)

The different colors should be obvious as to what they represent with the exception of the two blue lines. Those are the front-to-back limits of the SHO V6 engine relative to the forward face of the tranny - or in this case the adapter plate in front of the tranny. The upper part of the heads/intake over-hangs to the rear. I don't have the various heights yet.

I have a local contact that I'll be following up with to get some accurate dimensions of the engine. Once these are plugged in and I do a back view, I'll have a decent idea of what interferences I may have.

Keep you posted.
+Quote Post
3d914
post May 14 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #35

OK,

First let me say a big THANK YOU to Tom ( a local SHO rail owner) for allowing me access to his shop to get the necessary dimensions. Tom's been using SHO motors in his rails for years and has amassed a great deal of data and insight into these engines - including turbos & super-chargers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Here's how it came out. The engine of choice for a longitudinal mount would be the 3.2L used in the automatics. One main reason is that the 3.2 has a single auto-tensioning serpentine belt, whereas the 3.0L has two and require manual adjustment and more space.

Take a look at the final best-fit I can come up with.
Magenta - engine bay and body parts.
Red - 901 Tranny
Green - 24" dia wheel/tire
Blue - engine outline

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1210819592.jpg)

Here's a few things I have to consider:
  1. The centerline for the crank is just below the seam where the oil pan and block mate. This leaves the stock oil pan in place with no mods and out of harms way.
  2. The 901 transaxle will need to be brought foward and down 1" in each direction. Its likely this will move backward as the adapter plate and clutch may require more depth than I allowed.
  3. The angled part of the trunk will have to be removed and re-aligned up to match the adjacent vertical wall. That way an extra rib can be added to the trunk and it can still be sealed properly, with space for luggage.
  4. The firewall at the seats will have to be modified. I don't mind eliminating this as I was going to do a custom back-pad anyway, and I never have my seat all the way back.
  5. The center section of the forward part of the trunk lid will have to be cut to accommodate the intake & throttle body. The TB can be rotated vertically and air could be fed via a custom ram scoop. I'd even considering adjusting the engine height upward slightly so that the intake manifold can be exposed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
  6. THe only other BIG downer on the whole deal is the weight. Fully dressed, this engine comes in at 500 lbs. That is first hand info, not second hand speculation.

Now the tough part. Do I proceed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 14 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #36

PMB Performance

Pretty Please? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post May 15 2008, 07:09 AM
Post #37

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Here is Jay's ShoGun. #3 of seven, made by Chuck Beck. Jay's has nitrious.

T.C.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
3d914
post May 15 2008, 01:13 PM
Post #38

Well its obvious I wouldn't be the first, as there is a link further up by Dino. The guy doing this one appears to have it installed transversely.

So I might be the first if I go longitudinal. The real killer for me is the weight. Any idea what some of the V8 engine weigh in at?

Still undecided.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post May 15 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #39

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

I'd estimate an iron headed carbed SBC at around 550 lbs and an aluminum headed SBC around 500 lbs

An LS series all aluminum motor down around 450 lbs

I think the 500lbs estimate might be a little heavy for the SHO motor, but it's no light weight. It's all iron and has a pretty substantial top end.

The neat things about a SHO conversion would definitely be the rev range and it should get pretty good fuel economy. From a financial standpoint it should be able to work pretty well with the 914 trans, so that's a bonus.
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 15 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #40

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I read the Buick/Rover 215 with aluminum heads weights 318lbs. Seems like a good choice for the v8 route. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
But then you wouldn't have the one-of-a-kind we want to see you build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:00 PM