Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What AUTO-X Tire do you use? Wheels too!, Tires for AUTO-X and Racing
Justinp71
post May 22 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

Do you guys think that its fair that all other 914-6's run in SM2?

Last weekend most SM2 cars were about 4-5 second faster than I was, but they are alot more seasoned than me...I think with carbs I would have been alot more competitive.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jhadler
post May 22 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #22

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 22 2008, 10:26 AM) *

Do you guys think that its fair that all other 914-6's run in SM2?

Last weekend most SM2 cars were about 4-5 second faster than I was, but they are alot more seasoned than me...I think with carbs I would have been alot more competitive.

Not to be blunt, but... RTR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The way the rules are written is that if you have a motor in the car that the car was not originally offered with. You automatically move to front of the class. Doesn't matter that you did a mild engine swap, an engine swap is an engine swap. Any 914-6 that isn't running the stock 2.0L six motor will find itself in with the trailer-riding-fire-breathing-monsters. Because if you made the investment to swap an entire engine, you obviously could have also made the investment elsewhere too. SM2, FP, XP, DM, EM are all places a 914 can play right now with a non-factory engine. Greg Fordhal's amazing 914-6 is a work of art (and a small fortune at that), and is still competitive to this day!

It's the slippery slope issue. If you allow one seemingly mild mod on one car, that same allowance could open the door for significant advantages on other cars. Unlike PCA classing, that only has to deal with one make of car, SCCA has to incorporate ALL of them. Some cars will be better classed than others, some will better be able to exploit the rules in a given class. That's actually something I really like about the SCCA, not only are you competing against all makes and models, but you really need to think about what you can do within the rules to improve your car. The SCCA rules are FAAAR from ideal, but I think given that they have so many makes and models to have to deal with, and so many places for pretty much any car under the sun to compete in, they do a pretty good job overall. Don't get me started on specifics though...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Racer
post May 22 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Factory 4-bolt fuchs with 205-50-15 RA1s. Its more fun to beat the "hoosier" crowd on these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Michael N
post May 22 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #24

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

14" Fuchs with Yokohama AVS ES100's 205/60HR14. I am always the slowest. Terrible driver on crappy tires. Sometimes my shadow beats me to the timer.
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 23 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #25

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

V710s 205/50R15s on 7x15 cookies Front 225/50R15s on 7x15 rears. Fronts fit perfectly under sock fenders. Rears are under puled flares and spacers to keep them from rubbing on the inner fender. I run no spacers up front, and 1" per side out back.

I used to run 205/50s R15s on 6.5" Minilites, required a 1/4 spacer out back.

Those AVS's I use as street tires, yes they do suck, looking at replacing them with Nittos so I can run to the events and if it rains I have something that moves water.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post May 25 2008, 01:57 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(914forme @ May 23 2008, 08:32 PM) *

V710s 205/50R15s on 7x15 cookies Front 225/50R15s on 7x15 rears. Fronts fit perfectly under sock fenders. Rears are under puled flares and spacers to keep them from rubbing on the inner fender. I run no spacers up front, and 1" per side out back.

I used to run 205/50s R15s on 6.5" Minilites, required a 1/4 spacer out back.

Those AVS's I use as street tires, yes they do suck, looking at replacing them with Nittos so I can run to the events and if it rains I have something that moves water.

Why not run 225's in the front? I normally get understeer as it is.

Do the cookie cutters require that you run a spacer in the rear? I have 15x8 fuchs in the rear now and they fit w/o any spacers...I guess the two rims have different back spacing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 25 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #27

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

205s are what I had evil bay deal, to cheap to pass up. Buy one get 3 free deal. No understeer for me. I can induce oversteer at will, pretty much, on these courses. They are high speed so you can use your momentum in the tight stuff to kick the rear out. Go in hard, turn, lift, smash the throttle. This technique can also produce nice spins, with cones flying every wear if you get it wrong.

I have found each 914 slightly different, mine had the chassis stiffing kit welded in back in the early 80s. So take 14 gauges of space plus weld beads out and there you have the issue. I get inner sidewall rub out back on long wide sweepers. And the local clubs loves them so I go better safe than sorry. So the fenders got pulled, and now I run with minimum 1" per side. Cheap insurance against a black flag for smoking. Unless I run PCA, I am usually the only air-cooled Porsche in the field. So them water pumper guys A - think we all leak oil, and B. that smoke out of the back end of my car is oil smoke. Wave the flag (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) Kills to many good runs!!!

Once these 710s wear out, I might go to slicks still have my eyes on the Hanooks. But in reality it is what ever I get a deal on that day, I am paying the $$$ out.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 06:20 PM