Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Targa top squeeks going down the road, Is this just normal flex of the body?
davesclassicvws
post May 15 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #1

davesclassicvws

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,917
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ok, Here's what I want to know. I recently rebuilt a Targa top for 914 which included new seals all the way around. I noticed this squeek before the rebuild but thought the new seals would eliminate this .

As I have thought about this and read more on this forum, here's what I've come up with, the back half of the 914 is essentially held on by the floor, so the stress points are just behind the doors.

As the car is going down the road and travels over bumps the body is flexing and this is reverbiated through the targa top, thus the seals are squeeking from the flexing.

My question is this: How common is this? Is this an indication of compromised longs? or is this normal with all 914's? Does adding a engman kit eleviate this problem in any way?

As far as I can tell the Targa top does not have any capacity to tighten onto the car body. The new seals should be providing as tight a seal as possible.

I'm curious if the engman kit will reduse this flex and if its really worth it on a car that's not going to go on the track. I just enoy driving the car around town on the weekends.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 08:51 PM