Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help me sort out my engine, My combo is not working and needs to be revised
Phoenix914
post May 19 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,322
Region Association: South East States

I recently had my 914 emissions tested and it failed. Yes, in Delaware all cars newer than 1969 have to pass emissions. Anyway, this failure brought to my attention that the combination of engine specs and fuel injection are causing this problem. I had an enlightening conversation with Jake Raby about what I had and he basically said that the reason for the emissions problem is that the cam I have is too radical for D-jet. He said he was surprised it ran at all. It does, but has no guts after 4k RPM.

So here is what I have:

The engine was rebuilt 20 years ago after some sort of catastrophic failure. It was originally a 2.0, and is now a 2056. The cam is listed on the paperwork as 272 degree. Jake said this is pretty radical for a 2056. The original owner told me he used to have dual carbs on the car, but decided to put the D-jet back on because of emissions. Ha!

I was already planning to do some upgrades to the valve train because it is seriously noisy. The rocker arm springs must be getting shoved around too much by that cam. Solid rocker spacers and possibly 911 adjusters/1.7 rockers were on my to-do list anyway. So what I need to decide is which way to go with reconfiguring this combo. I could pull off the D-jet and throw some gnarly Webers on, or possibly an updated injection system. Or, I could crack open the case and replace the cam with something milder that will work with D-jet.

This is just a daily driver type car. I want something that works, is fairly reliable, and won't require too much tinkering. At least, not any more than one would expect for a 35 year-old car. I also want to keep the budget for this operation at a minimum.

What to do...? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:19 AM