Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mounting a modern AC compressor, smog pump pulley/under the tin
computers4kids
post May 19 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #1

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

I will be adding AC to my project car. I am looking to adding a modern AC compressor, like the Sanden 508 or equivalent to a DPD evaporator.

After doing quite a bit a reading, I've come across pictures of some 914 conversions (upgrade) that use an adapter (purchased/homemade) that allows for the Sanden compressor to bolt directly to the York (stock) mounting plates utililyzing the existing pulleys.

Like the York, you have to hack-up the tin on one side...even saw some that modified the passenger engine shelf. I'm looking for an alternative installation.

Alternative ideas that I've been toying with...

1) I've touched base with a guy in Florida that is developing a compressor that mounts below the tin. Compressor and bracket are ready, condensor coming soon.

2) Anyone ever thought about mounting a modern compressor above the fan housing using the pulleys that come with the smog pump setup (no smog pump of course). Seems if you did this you could avoid cutting the tin, have easy access to the compressor, and when you drop the engine...the compressor could un-bolt and remain in the engine compartment without disconnecting the lines.

3) I've also toyed with mounting a condensor in the wheel well like the 911 aftermarket ones.

Anyway, looking for ideas or wisdom. Sorry, but talking me out of AC is not an option...I want the wife to be able to ride in this project...just too dammmmm hot in Visalia, CA.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jcd914
post May 20 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

There was a company that sold a rotary compressor kit for the VW bus with TIV engines. Mounting was the same place as the York's so it would probably work on a 914. Would probably require cutting the sheet metal. I always thought a rotary compressor would be a big improvement over the york. York vibrates too much. I was thinking of it for my VW bus. Bus has been gone a while now and I'm not sure I could do AC in a 914 but living Sacramento I understand the desire.

The air pump drive would not be strong enough for the AC, it has a rubber coupling that tears. You could probably fabricate something but I think I would lean toward the York mounting location. Using the AC drive pulley behind the fan would be lest prone to vibration problems and has the strength to drive the compressor. Maybe there are smaller rotary compressors that would fit better.

The fender mounted condenser in the 911 was not enough on its own and required an additional condenser on the engine lid.

Good Luck
Jim
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 20 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #3

Love these little cars!

Thanks Jim for the tips. Hmm...I wonder if a rotary would be too much for a fabricated smog pump pulley. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post May 20 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

I don't believe the Sanden is a rotary pump it is a wobble plate design. Still a good pump and doesn't take much power to drive it. Once I have my /6 conversion done I may try to fit a Sanden to it but I'll have to fit it down below not on top like a 911. Good luck with yours.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 20 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #5

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

In my professional opinion, there is NO WAY a smog pump drive would handle the required torque, and if it could, the side loading (caused by the required belt tension) an extra 3 inches + from the end of the crank would spell disaster, albeit a ways down the road. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post May 22 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,925
Region Association: North East States

Wondered about this for quite a while myself. How was the 912E AC compressor driven? Here are two pictures- one with no belt, but the yellow one clearly has a belt that apparently goes to a pulley that is outboard from the smog pulley????
Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
904svo
post May 22 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #7

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

The 912E was driven off the smog pump, the problem was the side load would distort the metal bracket and cause the bearings to go bad. This was due to the load the York compressor but on it this problem can be corrected with a Denso
10P08 or the larger Sandon SD508 they only take about a 1 1/2 HP to operate
instead of the 5-7 HP for the York which was a single piston type.

+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 23 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #8

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ May 22 2008, 05:33 PM) *

Wondered about this for quite a while myself. How was the 912E AC compressor driven? Here are two pictures- one with no belt, but the yellow one clearly has a belt that apparently goes to a pulley that is outboard from the smog pulley????
Attached ImageAttached Image

QUOTE(904svo @ May 22 2008, 08:36 PM) *

The 912E was driven off the smog pump, the problem was the side load would distort the metal bracket and cause the bearings to go bad. This was due to the load the York compressor but on it this problem can be corrected with a Denso
10P08 or the larger Sandon SD508 they only take about a 1 1/2 HP to operate
instead of the 5-7 HP for the York which was a single piston type.

Thanks for the research and comments...they really having me thinking. I bought the SD508 and bracket and hope to figure-out how I will mount them this weekend. The motor is ready to go back in the car of my project once I finish the AC install. Sounds like I need to lurk around the 912 forums for more info and some diff. ideas for the brackets. This type of mounting just seems so much better to me than the dealer method, which requires a piece of the shelf to be cut (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) I going to have to have a six pack if I have to cut the shelf...being clear of mind would be just to hard to bare.

OK...going into LURK mode.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien_2.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 23 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #9

Love these little cars!

Just after a few minutes of lurking, guess who I found to have a type 4 motor with a top mounted AC in their 912 and proud of it???...no other than our famous engine guru...Jake Raby...can't wait to pick his brain.
Back to lurking...
+Quote Post
Brando
post May 23 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #10

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Here's how I would do it without trimming sheetmetal:

• Fab a stronger bracket that bolts in place of the old smog pump pulley.
• Fab a solid pulley that bolts to the front of the fan in place of the old smog pump pulley, made of newer and stronger materials (this lets you bring the drive end of the pulley out far enough for the compressor.
• Mount the newer compressor far on the side where it normally goes.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:20 AM