Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Mounting a modern AC compressor, smog pump pulley/under the tin
computers4kids
post May 19 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #1

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

I will be adding AC to my project car. I am looking to adding a modern AC compressor, like the Sanden 508 or equivalent to a DPD evaporator.

After doing quite a bit a reading, I've come across pictures of some 914 conversions (upgrade) that use an adapter (purchased/homemade) that allows for the Sanden compressor to bolt directly to the York (stock) mounting plates utililyzing the existing pulleys.

Like the York, you have to hack-up the tin on one side...even saw some that modified the passenger engine shelf. I'm looking for an alternative installation.

Alternative ideas that I've been toying with...

1) I've touched base with a guy in Florida that is developing a compressor that mounts below the tin. Compressor and bracket are ready, condensor coming soon.

2) Anyone ever thought about mounting a modern compressor above the fan housing using the pulleys that come with the smog pump setup (no smog pump of course). Seems if you did this you could avoid cutting the tin, have easy access to the compressor, and when you drop the engine...the compressor could un-bolt and remain in the engine compartment without disconnecting the lines.

3) I've also toyed with mounting a condensor in the wheel well like the 911 aftermarket ones.

Anyway, looking for ideas or wisdom. Sorry, but talking me out of AC is not an option...I want the wife to be able to ride in this project...just too dammmmm hot in Visalia, CA.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 02:55 AM