Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Verdict on Auto-x rear wings and the 914s, Aero-aids on slow speed events.
914forme
post May 25 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #1

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Okay all you guys that run them, did they solve the nagging issues that you where trying to solve.

Here is mine, we are running at a figure 8 track with oval this year. So at some point in time, I run up onto the banked oval, for a semi high speed sweeper. Car is stable as it can be on the oval, I keep on the gas and fly. Other sections they toss in a high speed sweeper with distraction cones, on the figure 8 side of things. These my rear starts to slip out so I have to back off, catch, go again. It pisses me off that I leave time on the table in a simple part of the course. I am thinking a little Aero help might might be in order. Since I run in coupe configuration, my lid is bolted down. I am thinking of adding vortex generators on the roof, and a big JP style spoiler out back. And a set of under body front diffusers with a chin splitter.

So how is it truly working out for you guys? Car classing is not an issue, I'll deal with the rules. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post May 25 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #2

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

First are you wanting a wing or a spoiler? Big difference. JP has a big spoiler, I have a big wing.

Do they work? Yes.

Try a spoiler first and I would try several things before I'd go to a wing. Rear tire air pressure, change rear springs, change front sway bar setting, etc.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post May 25 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Hey 914forme congrats on your 914th post! Sorry no valuable information to contibute.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 26 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #4

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

My opportunities for high speed stuff are limited so a factual comparison of before & after is shakey at best.

We did have 2, 3rd gear sections last Sunday at Packwood.
They were "guts" sections...how fast can you go. I never reached the limits nor did Brit, near as I could tell. Prior to this, the last section like these found me going backwards with both feet in...but that was 2 seasons ago.
The rear end stayed planted on this last occasion. This may be at least partially due to semi-fresh tiars......but the back end never wiggled. It was a constant acceleration through out these transition sections.......that was the guts part, how hard OTG can you and the rear tires deal with....one of them "traction circle" mysteries that make AX fun.

I do believe both Paul & I have an advantage as there are fewer obstructions to getting air onto our aero devices. That said, if you've reached the end of your tether with chassis/suspension development a spoiler is a lot less complicated than a wing.
The RB limits me to a 10 inch tall spoiler or a 8 sq/ft wing.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 26 2008, 01:05 AM
Post #5

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A local 914 in our area that is a national winner has one like JP's car. It does have the windshield and have been told that there is a big difference without it. This is a $200k 914 with one of the best race engineers setting it up. I would venture to say you would profit from it but look to see what you rules say you can do. If I do it I will be moved out of my class.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post May 27 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #6

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

The big money 914 is probably in F prepared and is force to run a spoiler out back. Works good for 280Z cars not as well for 914's

Sm and X prepared get to have wings. Mine is nowhere near the size allowed. Paul's might be a smidge big don't know.

Fast 60 MPH + transition stuff the wing definately helps. Obviously the faster you go the better it works.

Track work???? no question it works.
+Quote Post
URY914
post May 27 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #7

****************************************************************************************************

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 27 2008, 10:56 AM) *

Paul's might be a smidge big don't know.

Are we still talking about my wing?
+Quote Post
URY914
post May 27 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #8

I added a Gurney Flap over the weekend. It's bigger now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 27 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #9

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 27 2008, 10:56 AM) *

The big money 914 is probably in F prepared and is force to run a spoiler out back. Works good for 280Z cars not as well for 914's

Sm and X prepared get to have wings. Mine is nowhere near the size allowed. Paul's might be a smidge big don't know.

Fast 60 MPH + transition stuff the wing definately helps. Obviously the faster you go the better it works.

Track work???? no question it works.

Yeah... the beast runs in FP. Doesn't work as well as a wing but it does work.

Again, you need to figure out what class you want to run in before you do these things to your car.
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 27 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #10

Thanks i got some work to do, had the same sweeper this weekend. I got it closer by adding the LSD tranny into the picture and adding some extra camber. But it was still a little loose in that section, every thing else was really good.

I could use more HP, but that is a different issue. These long open sections are killing me! That 2.0L only revs so fast, and tossing extra nuts to feed the squirrels is not cheap either. My squirrels unionized, whats sad is they then outsourced their positions to mice, but I can't do anything about, dang contract. And pointing a gun at them is called extortion.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post May 27 2008, 02:34 PM
Post #11

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Make the car lighter. it will go faster. Although I am not sure what Paul's problem is, he should be WAY faster.

I broke up the union and built my 2098cc. It pushes pretty good. Still having labor relation probelms I have send a message to Raby for a 2316-210 this morning. That'll fix it.

+Quote Post
URY914
post May 27 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #12

I only need to be fast enough to win, and that I am.
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 27 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #13

Joe, nice engine pick, been thinking about that one myself. Jake told me I needed one hell of a 901 to take that engine with out abuse, scatter, and shrapnel.

Not sure what all Jake wants to do with the 901, but I am sure he has some trick up his sleeve.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:29 PM