Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 914 won't turn over.
jeffff
post May 27 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,107
Region Association: None

Hello, my name is Jeff and I'm the proud owner of a 73 914, 2.0 liter. I've had the car for awhile now and it has been nothing but fun and an absolute joy to own and drive.

I've been driving the car consistantly since the snow has melted and it has given me no problems........until now.

After driving the car all weekend I go to start the car yesterday, and nothing, it will not turn over. It is NOT the battery, it's new, I boosted it just to make sure. I have power everywhere....gauges, radio, lights etc.

Assuming it's an electrical issue I removed the fuse box to get a better look. While trying to start it I receive a "clicking" noise from the relay (black round one), far left, drivers side. I swapped out that relay for another one, it did not help.

I'm stumped. Occasionally I've had to "turn the key hard" to get it to turn over. I'm thinking that this once occasional problem has become a permanent problem, but I could be wrong.

I was thinking of possibly removing the steering colomn cover to gain access to the ignition switch. It could be the problem. Is this difficult to do?

Hopefully my issue is just a 914 idiosyncrassy and was hoping to get some advice or suggestions from you guys.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Jeff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post May 27 2008, 04:18 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

get a volt meter and get under the car and have some one turn the key to start while you check to see if there is 12volts at the small wire at the top of the starter solnoid, if no then you can start checking into the ignition switch.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 27 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

If you want them to turn over you have to start training them when they are really young. The best that you can hope for at this late date is that it will sit and stay and balance well on jackstands... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

There is a plastic part inside the ignition switch that will go bad from time to time. Replacing it is not that difficult but it does require a bit of disassembly... I would bet on that. It is white plastic with plug spades sticking out of it. The electrical plug from the harness plugs into it. Available from many sources...

People will talk smack about George at Automobile Atlanta but his 700 tech tips book is totally on the money... You would have found that answer in it...
+Quote Post
736conver
post May 27 2008, 04:20 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736

Sounds like multiple problems.

One you have a ignition switch going bad. Doesnt sound like the starting problem though. None the less get it fixed

Two you either have a bad battery or bad power connections. How are your grounds.

Just because the battery is new doesnt mean its still good. have it load tested at your FLAPS.
+Quote Post
jeffff
post May 27 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #5

I'm almost positive that it's not the battery. Remember I boosted the car just to make sure. I drove it all weekend, started it dozens of times with no issues.

The ignition switch sounds like it could be the problem. How difficult is the ignition switch to remove?

Here goes embarassing question number 1.........what side of the car is the starter on?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 27 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jeffff @ May 27 2008, 03:29 PM) *

I'm almost positive that it's not the battery. Remember I boosted the car just to make sure. I drove it all weekend, started it dozens of times with no issues.

The ignition switch sounds like it could be the problem. How difficult is the ignition switch to remove?

Here goes embarassing question number 1.........what side of the car is the starter on?

Starter is on the driver side. You can reach it without jacking the car with a little dexterity.

Drop your lower dash to replace the ignition switch. You should be able to see the process to disassemble from there. Been there, done that twice... (different 914's)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post May 27 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #7

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

My 914 won't turn over.

You can train it with one of these. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jeffff
post May 27 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #8

Drop the lower dash...I'm confused. Isn't the igntion switch in the steering column? Shouldn't I be able to take the cover off the steering column to access the switch. Maybe what I think the ignition switch is and what it actually is, are 2 different things.

Is there any way to essentially "hotwire" the car to see if it is indeed the ignition switch.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 27 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #9

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

1. Place the car in neutral
2. Turn the key to the ON possition
3. Climb under the car and Jump the starter with a screw driver

If the car turns over and starts you need to check your Ignition Switch.
If it turns over but no spark it is your Ignition Switch
If nothing happens the solinoid could be bad.

Does your fuel pump run when the key is switched on?

Yes the switch is in the column.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 27 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #10

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Well, The lower dash pad blocks some of the access to the switch. The lower pad is easy to take off.

Just grab under the dash like in the movies and twist two wires together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No, hotwiring is more difficult than actually finding what is wrong.
+Quote Post
swl
post May 27 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

Welcome aboard Jeff.

You could try the 'screwdriver' trick if you are comfortable with a little sparking and drama. Do a search for '+screwdriver +trick' - basicly you use a screwdriver to short the power from the main power feed to the starter (big red wire) to the solenoid control (yellow wire). That eliminates all the wiring from the battery to the ignition switch to the relay panel and on to the starter.

Myself - I prefer to use a voltmeter like Troy suggested.

Where are you located Jeff - maybe someone can give you a hand.
+Quote Post
jeffff
post May 27 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #12

OK I jumped the car with a screwdriver.........It just sparked & buzzed, must be a bad solenoid.

I'm gonna try the "hit it with a hammer" technique, see if that works. I'm assuming the starter has to come off to remove the soleniod.
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 27 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #13

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I would bet it is the ignition switch. They crack and cause this symptom. Especially when you mentioned having to "turn they key hard."

While a multimeter is more civilized than the screwdriver trick, the latter is a one-man super quick test. Don't worry about the position of the key - leave it off. But DO make sure the car is in neutral and ebraked or blocked.

I'll bet a beer the screwdriver trick will crank it (not that you'll crank it - just one quick stab to see if it tries). You could have that answer in ten seconds! Git-r-done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jeffff
post May 27 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Rand @ May 27 2008, 03:35 PM) *

I'll bet a beer the screwdriver trick will crank it (not that you'll crank it - just one quick stab to see if it tries). You could have that answer in ten seconds! Git-r-done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Post above, I tryed it. Sounds like it's the solenoid
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 27 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #15

Cross Member

lol.... I saw your post after I entered mine. You snuck one in ahead of me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jeffff
post May 27 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #16

You owe me a beer!! Starter's gotta come off right?
+Quote Post
jeffff
post May 27 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #17

OOPS I did it wrong, It's turning over just fine. It has to be the ignition switch. Damn I was hoping it was the soleniod.
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 27 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #18

Cross Member

Ok, come on down, beer on me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
You wouldn't happen to have a remote switch like this? (Or the parts to rig one up?)
(IMG:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/35400-35499/35448.gif)
Makes for a little more civilized way of testing.

I would do one final bit of testing before pulling the starter.

(IMG:http://4nets.com/baldwinpowersports/images/starterscrewdriver.jpg)

In the pic above, red arrow to green arrow - I assume that's where you ran the screwdriver. Make sure you got a good solid connection there. If only for a second. If that check was a little weak it will buzz and spark and make you flinch. Has to be a rock solid short to try and crank.

You could check red to blue... that would make the starter spin without engaging the flywheel.

So, assuming that all checks out, then I'm with you on the solenoid ---- PROVIDING you have made sure your connections are good and clean - including the braided ground strap between the transmission and the trunk floor.

At that point, sounds like a starter swap is in order.
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 27 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #19

Cross Member

Dammit, you did it again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) No, you owe ME a beer!! I guess I have to come up there now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 27 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #20

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

If you jumped between the spade terminal (yellow wire) and the hot terminal (top post on solenoid) and all you got was a buzz ... the solenoid is bad and YES, the starter has to be removed.

Jump the two big terminals on the solenoid and the starter motor should whirr (it won't engage the flywheel ... the motor will just spin). If it doesn't the starter motor is trash.

****Damnit, you guys post to fast*****
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 08:01 PM