Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fresh air blower issue, Only two speeds work
brownaar
post May 29 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,813
Region Association: None

It's a small issue, but one I'm trying to remedy. My fresh air blower only works on medium and high.(Could be worse, i guess) I'm trying to figure out where the problem may be. The blower motor obviously works. I think the switch assembly is okay, because if I rearrange the wires the two speeds still work but at different switch positions. I have voltage on the two wires for high and medium(white and white/green) when the key is on, but not to the remaining white/yellow wire. The only thing I don't know much about is the "bimetallic switch" in the blower motor housing.(Shown on "blown-up" blower motor housing in Electrical factory service manual) Is this what actually controls the blower motor speed and is that where my problem is? Anyone know if this single piece is available by itself?
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brownaar
post May 30 2008, 08:29 AM
Post #2

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
Anyone? Anyone?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 30 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

clean the heater control switch in the dashboard...its filthy and sometimes the plastic melts over the contacts.

Rich
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 30 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Make sure there are three wires( there are white with different colored striping) attached on the right of the blower switch. It helps if the radio is out.
Sometimes, one gets knoked loose during radio R/R. If all three are hooked up, switch them around to see if it's a bad contact. Been there.

+Quote Post
brownaar
post May 30 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Thanks guys. I have cleaned the switch contacts previously. I really don't think it's the switch. If I switch say the white/yellow and white/green, then medium speed comes on with the first position instead of the second position, so all three switch positions seem to be working. The motor and the relay at the fuse panel seem to be okay. The relay is a standard relay and not complex enough to control the three separate speeds. The "bimetallic switch" is the one thing I have no clue about. Is there anything else in the circuit I am missing?
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 30 2008, 07:20 AM) *

Make sure there are three wires( there are white with different colored striping) attached on the right of the blower switch. It helps if the radio is out.
Sometimes, one gets knoked loose during radio R/R. If all three are hooked up, switch them around to see if it's a bad contact. Been there.

+Quote Post
904svo
post May 30 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #6

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

On mine item #13 is two wire wound resistors which are for low and medium speed
on the blower motor. You may have a bad connection to where the resistors are
mounted to the plug in connector.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:18 PM