Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Brake Upgrade Success!
Eddie914
post Jan 22 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Thanks for all the helpful advice I received from everyone on the board!

I recently purchased a '71 914/6 2.7. The car was a 1.7 converted by the PO. Pretty rough but with a bunch of nice parts.

The original 914 rear brakes were seized solidly. A friend donated a set of freshly rebuilt of '79 911SC rear brakes (thanks Harry!) which upon initial inspection did not fit!

The 5 lug conversion to the original rear hubs stretched the metal enough that the outer diameter of the hub was greater than the inner diameter of the 911SC brake rotor. A little grinding fixed that ... but then there was minimal clearance (like 0.001") between the friction surface of the rotor and the caliper mounting tab on the swingarm. A 5mm wheel spacer between the hub and rotor provided nearly perfect spacing. Adding a 0.050" washer between the 911SC caliper and the 914 mounting brackets centered the calipers perfect.

Ate Super Blue Brake Fluid and Porterfield R4 brake pads finished off the installation. The rubber brake lines were also swelled shut so a set of Stainless Steel braided brake lines were installed at the same time. I have not had a chance to get the pads bedded in and all the air out of the lines but initial impressions are pretty good. When I get the car licensed, I'll be able to drive more than just around the neighborhood!

Now the $39 question ... The 914 now has 911SC calipers and rotors front and rear, with matched Porterfield R4 pads. Should I remove and/or replace the stock brake proportioning valve? The car will primarily be a track car but will be street legal (sort of) and oc

Thanks Again!

Eddie

'71 914 2.7
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:20 PM