Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What are the odds?, Freak incident at the race track today ...
SirAndy
post May 31 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

we've been running here at PIR in portland all weekend and today we had a rather unusual incident on the track.

after qualifying yesterday we got on grid 2nd for the race today. everything went great, we were leading the race, tom was consistently running low 124s and pulling away from the competition by a 1/4 second each lap.

this was a 20 minute race and we shared the track with another (faster) rungroup, mostly 911 Cup Cars.

in lap 8, tom came up on a cup car on the back straight and was about to pass him when he suddenly lost all power to the car. the electrical just shut off and the engine died. tom rolled off the track and onto the green and waited to be towed after the end of the race.

back in the paddock we looked over the car and noticed large rubber markings on the front hood and drivers side fender.

turns out, a big chunk of tire rubber came off the cup car and hit the wire loop for the kill-switch and shut off the car!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

opened the front hood, flipped the switch back and the car came back to live!

i looked through the in car video and there's a frame where you can clearly see the rubber chunks flying through the air right before they hit the kill switch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

we were on our way to win this race and we got taken out by some piece of tire rubber.
what are the odds of that happening?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) Andy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
SirAndy   What are the odds?   May 31 2008, 07:36 PM
RoadGlue   Holy crap, that sucks Andy! Talk about bad luc...   May 31 2008, 07:48 PM
r_towle   Sounds like a fluke, but it also it a learning exp...   May 31 2008, 07:50 PM
SirAndy   I bet you have already redesigned the kill switch...   May 31 2008, 07:54 PM
r_towle   Where the hell is the switch??? Mine was up at the...   May 31 2008, 07:57 PM
SirAndy   Where the hell is the switch??? Mine was up at th...   May 31 2008, 08:02 PM
r_towle   cant see it, but duct tape sounds like the right i...   May 31 2008, 08:06 PM
SirAndy   cant see it, but duct tape sounds like the right ...   May 31 2008, 08:16 PM
r_towle   I was looking on the front bumper.... How about a...   May 31 2008, 08:29 PM
bryanc   Mine is similar.... wire hoop to a switch on the i...   May 31 2008, 09:30 PM
r_towle   I saw a car today with a similar version, but bett...   Jun 1 2008, 03:14 PM
Lavanaut   Hey Andy is this Tom that sold his oh-so-sweet sil...   Jun 1 2008, 06:44 PM
SirAndy   Hey Andy is this Tom that sold his oh-so-sweet si...   Jun 2 2008, 01:50 PM
championgt1   Freak accident quick fix. We saw the car in action...   Jun 1 2008, 11:32 PM
SirAndy   Andy, how did you guys do on Sunday? well, we ha...   Jun 2 2008, 01:52 PM
ericread   Andy, how did you guys do on Sunday? well, we h...   Jun 2 2008, 01:57 PM
rhodyguy   for those that have never been to PIR, those tires...   Jun 2 2008, 12:24 AM
helios   It was something else watching Tom divebomb some o...   Jun 2 2008, 04:35 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 11:30 AM