Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> IGNITION SWITCH REMOVAL ...HELP!, 1970 stranded in TJ body shop
mike373
post Jun 30 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,536

OK guys.... I went to pickup my ride from the body shop in Tijuana.. Car looks great. Went to turn the key and heard, snap crakle pop. The tumbler assembly came out and the little pot metal cup inside is shattered. Tried turning the switch with a screw driver with no luck.... The tumbler carrier is shattered. I spent the next 2 hours taking apart the steering column and dash. Removed the steering wheel, turn signal switch assembly, and ignition switch cover. Pulled on the ignition switch assembly, and it rattles around but seems to be hanging on something. Do I have to take out the snap ring and undo the allen screws?? THIS IS A 1970...so the pelican article does not apply.

I have a 73 ignition switch assembly with new key.... but I have come to learn that the 70 has wires attached to the damn switch. Anyone have wiring diagrams. My damn car is stranded in TJ..... and I need to get it outa there ASAP!!!!

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 30 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Buy a new switch, take it down there and put it in. You need to turn the key to release the steering lock, remove the 2 screws holding the little cover in place over the lock assembly, and pull the assembly out. Then you need a small jeweler's screwdriver to remove the screw holding the switch in place, pull the old one out and insert the new one. Install the screw, feed the wires through, put it all back together, and splice the wiring as necessary. The part number is 311 905 865A. VW part. Might be able to get it at the VW dealer in Tijuana, if you're lucky. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
markb
post Jun 30 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #3

914less :(

Member No.: 180

Follow the link in my signature. About halfway down the page you'll find how to take apart the early switch. Once you have the tumbler out, you should be able to use a screwdriver to start the car.
+Quote Post
mike373
post Jun 30 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(markb @ Jun 30 2008, 04:39 PM) *

Follow the link in my signature. About halfway down the page you'll find how to take apart the early switch. Once you have the tumbler out, you should be able to use a screwdriver to start the car.

Mark....

The little part that you JB welded is broken up into little bits inside the rest of the cylinder. I can turn the steering wheel... so it is not locked. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow morning. I just want to get the thing to start so I can get it home to san diego. They want it out of the shop so I dont have time to order a part. Should I pull the snap ring and top bearing in the steering column and take out the allen head screws? Would that help free it up??

Thanks,
Mike
+Quote Post
markb
post Jun 30 2008, 07:26 PM
Post #5

You should be able to remove the broken bits and use a screwdriver in the square hole to start the car.
+Quote Post
mike373
post Jun 30 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #6

If the switch is shot too..... What wires can I tie together to get ignition...and what wires can I touch together to activate the starter? I have carbs, but am still using the relay board for fuel pump, etc. I just want to get it out of the TJ bodyshop.!!!.. I can fix it properly later.

Thanks,
Mike
+Quote Post
dale 914
post Jul 1 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,200
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mike373 @ Jun 30 2008, 10:16 PM) *

If the switch is shot too..... What wires can I tie together to get ignition...and what wires can I touch together to activate the starter? I have carbs, but am still using the relay board for fuel pump, etc. I just want to get it out of the TJ bodyshop.!!!.. I can fix it properly later.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,
when you work through this, I would be very interested in getting the name / address / phone of the body shop you used. I need a bunch of modest body repairs to be done. Did you have any upholstery repairs done, I need that too.

Thanks.
Dale
+Quote Post
mike373
post Jul 2 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #8

Got the car home yesterday. Turned out that broken metal bits lodged themselves in the steering lock mechanism, so the locking pin could not retract all the way. I pulled the stearing column and top bearing so I could access the steering lock pin. Ground the locking pin down with a grinder, pulled the assembly, and pulled the ignition switch out. Turns out the ignition switch is in great shap, so just used a screwdriver to start the car. I will post pics soon.

QUESTION: Will a 72 ignition assembly fit the 70 (metal style, with attached wires) ignition switch??

Mike
+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 3 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #9

Simple answer....no. I CAN be done, but I've had to do a bunch of trial & error to get it "right", and it never was truly right. I probably have any used parts you need to fix it to stock, just let me know.
+Quote Post
mike373
post Jul 3 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(markb @ Jul 3 2008, 01:05 PM) *

Simple answer....no. I CAN be done, but I've had to do a bunch of trial & error to get it "right", and it never was truly right. I probably have any used parts you need to fix it to stock, just let me know.

Mark....

That would be great man. Im looking for a 70 ignition housing assembly. My metal ignition switch is fine, and I'm would like to keep the original tumbler mechanism so I can use the same key. I also would need that flat circular piece that is prone to cracking.... The part that you spread jb weld on. Call me if you like 858-361-4003

Thanks,
Mike
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 09:54 AM