Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New use for WD-40, Do not try this at home
914Sixer
post Jul 1 2008, 07:24 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yesterday I was painting some parts that required that the paint be heated up to adhere properly. I was using a heat gun on the high setting (1200 degrees). The heat gun started to fall and like a FOOL I went to catch it. I the pain was INTENSE and immediate. I grabbed a can of WD-40 and soaked 3 fingers and the plam of my hand. My thinking was the old wives tale of putting butter on a burn. I was fully expecting to go to the emergency room to have my hand treated.

The WD-40 soaked in and started to relieve the pain. The pain came back a second time so I repeated the soaking. My hand required a third treatment. To my amazement I saw no blistering and the pain had subsided. The area was tender to the touch and red but that was all. I came inside to the house to clean up in case a trip to the doctor was in order but still no blistering.

The picture is of my hand this morning. The skin is tight on 3 fingers and my palm but you can not tell they were burned.

Ripley's believe it or not?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davep
post Jul 1 2008, 07:27 AM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Lucky sod. Good thinking, but I don't know why it worked.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 1 2008, 07:54 AM
Post #3

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Was it cool when you sprayed it? If you immediately apply cold to a burn (1* or 2*) you will slow down the reaction that causes the skin to blister, hurt, turn red. I would still expect it to slough off some if you killed any skin, but it will likely be less. If it wasnt due to the cooling effects of the WD40, then I dont know what happened.

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jul 1 2008, 08:00 AM
Post #4

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I use WD40 and spray it on cutting blades and drill bits to keep them cool and sharp. Works great, especially when you don't have cutting oil handy. Maybe it does have a cooling property to it?
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 1 2008, 08:12 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

In response to Dr Evil, the WD-40 was not cool. It was about 80 degrees in the garage and I grabed it off the shelf. I am still baffled about the whole thing. My mother sent an email all about the uses of WD-40 but I thought it was urban legend stuff. Maybe there is some truth in it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TeenerTim
post Jul 1 2008, 08:23 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,253
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just be glad it was only a heat gun. My mother's uncle was cutting tree limbs with a chain saw when the same thing happened. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/new_shocked.gif) Needless to saw he lost his fingers.
+Quote Post
swl
post Jul 1 2008, 08:51 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,550

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 1 2008, 06:12 AM) *

In response to Dr Evil, the WD-40 was not cool. It was about 80 degrees in the garage and I grabed it off the shelf. I am still baffled about the whole thing. My mother sent an email all about the uses of WD-40 but I thought it was urban legend stuff. Maybe there is some truth in it.

engage boy scientist mode:

When compressed gas (the propellant) expands it is cold - like a refrigerator. Even if the can was 80* the cooling effect of the expansion would make the spray quite cool. Couple that with the oils ability to transfer the heat away from your skin and Mikes theory seems reasonable.

boy scientist mode off:

There are some pretty stunning burn creams out there. My wife did the boiling oil trick to her thumb once and we had to take her to emerg. The stuff they put on was amazing but the dressing did not cover a small area at the margins. That which was covered never bothered her. The little strip that remained blistered and was really painful. Maybe the WD40 has some similar properties.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jul 1 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #8

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 1 2008, 06:24 AM) *

Yesterday I was painting some parts that required that the paint be heated up to adhere properly. I was using a heat gun on the high setting (1200 degrees). The heat gun started to fall and like a FOOL I went to catch it. I the pain was INTENSE and immediate. I grabbed a can of WD-40 and soaked 3 fingers and the plam of my hand. My thinking was the old wives tale of putting butter on a burn. I was fully expecting to go to the emergency room to have my hand treated.

The WD-40 soaked in and started to relieve the pain. The pain came back a second time so I repeated the soaking. My hand required a third treatment. To my amazement I saw no blistering and the pain had subsided. The area was tender to the touch and red but that was all. I came inside to the house to clean up in case a trip to the doctor was in order but still no blistering.

The picture is of my hand this morning. The skin is tight on 3 fingers and my palm but you can not tell they were burned.

Ripley's believe it or not?

Fish oils ..Its not listed on the label but its in there and it works for just such things ...... thats all i know
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 1 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #9

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 1 2008, 07:12 AM) *

The WD40 was cool. At 80 degrees it was probably a 100 degrees cooler than the burning flesh. That bald kid should go to med school... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 1 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #10

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

thats pretty amazing!
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Jul 1 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,469

Great news to hear that your hand is doing so well...

But to preserve the scientific integrity of this experiment, we need a control group to see if WD40 worked better than immediate ice water would have.

Therefore, we need you to replicate the experience with your other hand and ice water immersion and let us know the results. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
736conver
post Jul 1 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736

Fish oils ..Its not listed on the label but its in there and it works for just such things ...... thats all i know

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Fish oils
I remember my dad telling me about using wd-40 on burns. Never had to do it but always remembered.
+Quote Post
dbgriffith75
post Jul 1 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #13

TheGrif

Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'll need to keep this in mind next time I'm playing with fire.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Jul 1 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,322
Region Association: South East States

We should also have a volunteer try Windex. Or was I the only person who saw that movie?
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jul 1 2008, 02:37 PM
Post #15

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 1 2008, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 1 2008, 07:12 AM) *

The WD40 was cool. At 80 degrees it was probably a 100 degrees cooler than the burning flesh. That bald kid should go to med school... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I bet he'd make a good doctor someday if he did (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Jul 1 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #16

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Jul 1 2008, 12:26 PM) *

We should also have a volunteer try Windex. Or was I the only person who saw that movie?

I was actually going to say that a friend suggested I try it and it worked. I was expecting it to sting like a Mo Fo but it immediately took the sting away. Totally surprised. She said it was the ammonia.
+Quote Post
rufio0205
post Jul 1 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,099
Region Association: South East States

I was always told for minor to medium intense burns such as grabbing a glass pyrex dish straight out of the oven...for instance....skin to skin contact was best because it brings the temperature of your finger back down to normal body temperature...thus not shocking..thus not having a reaction such as a blister....could be myth...but in my simple experience 3 weeks ago...it worked well enough
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jul 1 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 4,138

Wow, I never thought of treating a burn like that. You see my solution is to yell out as many obsenities as possible as loud as I can, followed by kicking the s#!t out of what ever burned me, always worked for me!
+Quote Post
swl
post Jul 1 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 4,550

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 1 2008, 04:23 PM) *

Wow, I never thought of treating a burn like that. You see my solution is to yell out as many obsenities as possible as loud as I can, followed by kicking the s#!t out of what ever burned me, always worked for me!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

The univeral cure all!
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 1 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #20

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 1 2008, 06:23 PM) *

Reminds me of a scene from Deliverance.

The city boys catch a redneck pounding on a piece of steel - surprised him! Hits his hand with a hammer! He yells lots of nasty words & runs outside to kick the crap out of an old rusted Dodge.

They ask him if he's Ok - says it's Ok.

Great to have something to kick the crap out of, but I don't think my wife would feel the same, since her's is the only non-Porsche in the garage....and it's new.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 12:27 PM