Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> trans gears swap?, side shift to tail shift
bare 1
post Jul 27 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,019
Region Association: None

So--- my 72 tailshifter just ate one of the bearings in the intermediate plate. Not sure which one but those little triangular pieces sitting on the shifter cover were definatly pieces of an outer race!!! A friend has given me a side shifter of unkown vintage and condition. Providing the sideshifter is workable can I throw the guts in the tailshifter case and be down the road?? I need a cheap fix right now with a good rebuild later on when finances are available.
I'm assuming I have to swap gears on the pinion shaft to keep the R&P wear pattern the same and and use the same shims between the case and intermediate plate so as not to disturb that gear set up. Is this doable without any special tools? Will the different bearing on the pinion shaft throw the R&P out of whack?
This little car has been my commuter rig (80 miles a day)and I would lke to get it back on the road as quickly and cheaply as possible. Thanks for your input.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 27 2008, 08:25 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

The R&P position, thus the shim is based upon the size of the case and the various plates and tail housing.

So, in a nutshell, no.
It can be done...it will last for a while, but the R&P will never be right if you are swapping cases.

Rich
+Quote Post
bare 1
post Jul 27 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,019
Region Association: None

so--- i'm thinking the case,intermediate plate, pinion shaft and tailhousing will all come from the original tailshifter while the gears and bearings will come from the sideshifter. According to what you say I should be ok. If I can get away with just putting the bearings from the side shifter in the tailshifter case that is all I will do. I really can't afford to do much else at this time.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 27 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #4

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Easy:
1- Take the shift rods from the tail shifter and swap into the side shifter stack
2- take the tail cone from the tail shifter and place it on the side shifter box

Done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 28 2008, 08:34 AM
Post #5

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 27 2008, 09:44 PM) *

Easy:
1- Take the shift rods from the tail shifter and swap into the side shifter stack
2- take the tail cone from the tail shifter and place it on the side shifter box

Done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You will have to adjust the shifter rods after switching the parts but its easy to do.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 03:43 PM