Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need Help Removing Steering Rack, Now I Get IT!!!
ericread
post Aug 2 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #1

The Viper Blue 914

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

HELP!!! I have read and re-read the prior posts on steering rack replacement. I am at the point where the following has been completed:
1. Removed fuel tank.
2. Removed right and left tie rods.
3. Detatched U-Joint directly inside driver compartment.
4. Removed two bolts that attach steering rack to the support.
5. Removed two bolts that attach support bar to body (off the tabs that face the rear of the car (shown at item 6 in the diagram).
6. Removed the two bolts that attach master cylinder to the bulkhead/pedal cluster.
7. Removed the two bolts that hold the steering shaft bearing (over the steering shaft bellows underneath the fuel tank).

Attached Image

Question 1: How do I move the master cylinder out of the way? The short brake line that goes to the tunnel doesn't give the master cylinder a lot of distance to back off, and the support bar (item #1 in the diagram) is in the way when I pull the master cylinder back.

Question 2: How do I actually remove the rack? The steering shaft directly connected to the rack seems to require that I drop the rack directly down. But the bolt tabs on the support bar itself (Item #1 in the diagram), as well as the bolt tabs that run a few inches to the underside of the body (towards the rear or the body) (item # 6 in the diagram) all seem to be in the way? What am I missing???

My thanks.

Eric Read
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 04:29 AM