Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Double relay, L-jet fuel injection
zonedoubt
post Aug 4 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #1

Canadian Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 696
Region Association: Canada

After putting my fuel injection back together, I went to start the engine up. Nothing. I couldn't hear the fuel pump running when moving the AFM air flap, so I figured it must be the fuel pump circuit at fault.

I connected 12V to the pump and it works fine. Disconnected the engine harness at the double relay and gave 12V to the pump wire. No problem. So it must be the relay (I thought these things never fail). I bench tested the double relay and found that the fuel pump side wasn't working. I cracked the case open and this is what I found:

Attached Image
Attached Image

The switch contact has broken off. I can't that I've ever seen that happen to a relay (although I also can't say I've looked at too many relays). I guess 30+ years of use fatigued the thin metal.

Looking at the electrical schematic and inspecting the inside of the double relay, it appears that this unit is nothing more than two standard relays plus a couple diodes. Being a CSOB, I'm thinking of wiring it up as such using some of the spare Bosch relays in my box o'parts rather than shelling out $90 for a stupid pair of relays. Has anyone done this before?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
orange914
post Aug 4 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #2

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Aug 4 2008, 08:24 PM) *

So it must be the relay (I thought these things never fail).

i had an intermittant no start on my 05 taurus. ford had it numerous times and just scratched their heads... no hard failures and/or codes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (what shall we do??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tooth.gif) ) long story short i suspected a fuel issue and had the f.p. relay changed. thats all it was (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 4 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

If you go to your local VW parts house, the same part is much less than Porsche sells it for. But be careful! There are a couple of double relays out there, and one will have a power lead in the wrong place. if that happens, the fuel pump won't energize.

New relays are plastic and require trimming the outside of the plugs (just the plastic) to make them fit.

I thought about using 2 standard relays, but it seemed more trouble than it was worth.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Aug 5 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #4

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Aug 4 2008, 08:24 PM) *

After putting my fuel injection back together, I went to start the engine up. Nothing. I couldn't hear the fuel pump running when moving the AFM air flap, so I figured it must be the fuel pump circuit at fault.

I connected 12V to the pump and it works fine. Disconnected the engine harness at the double relay and gave 12V to the pump wire. No problem. So it must be the relay (I thought these things never fail). I bench tested the double relay and found that the fuel pump side wasn't working. I cracked the case open and this is what I found:

Attached Image
Attached Image

The switch contact has broken off. I can't that I've ever seen that happen to a relay (although I also can't say I've looked at too many relays). I guess 30+ years of use fatigued the thin metal.

Looking at the electrical schematic and inspecting the inside of the double relay, it appears that this unit is nothing more than two standard relays plus a couple diodes. Being a CSOB, I'm thinking of wiring it up as such using some of the spare Bosch relays in my box o'parts rather than shelling out $90 for a stupid pair of relays. Has anyone done this before?

I believe I have one of these in my parts box...$25 shipped. I'll send it to you and if it works...send some $.
PM if interested
+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post Aug 5 2008, 11:30 AM
Post #5

Canadian Member

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Aug 5 2008, 07:46 AM) *

I believe I have one of these in my parts box...$25 shipped. I'll send it to you and if it works...send some $.
PM if interested

Thanks for the offer. But I think I'm going to pony up and just buy the new one.

Clay is right it's not worth the hassle to wire one up from standard relays (how to mount it? etc).
+Quote Post
type47
post Aug 5 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #6

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

looks like an "easy" repair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) just a wire or solder bridge....
+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post Aug 5 2008, 02:01 PM
Post #7

Canadian Member

QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 5 2008, 11:46 AM) *

looks like an "easy" repair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) just a wire or solder bridge....

I thought so too, but it's right at the point where the switch contact plate bends. I don't think a solder repair would last long. Plus the contact itself is pretty poor.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Aug 5 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #8

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Any chance someone with more electrical experience can make something up with sold state relays and the diodes necessary?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 09:05 PM