Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> customizing side shift rod on conversion motor, Can't seem to get all five gears and reverse
computers4kids
post Aug 9 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #1

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

The chevy motor that I have put in my car has a custom oil pan that protrudes on the sides quite a bit which inteferes with the stock side shifter rod.
Attached Image
The bow in the rod hits the oil pan and prevents the rotation that is required to get all the gears. I've have unsuccessfully cut and altered the shift rod to clear the pan...can't seem to get it to get all the gears including reverse. Yes, I've also adjusted the shifter in the cabin.

Anyway, I'm thinking about ditching the custom oil pan for a stock one so I won't have to deal with rod hitting. I have another un-altered shift rod that I can put in there with the stock oil pan and all should be good (still have to add 1 1/4 inch in length)...like I did originally in this pic. I've welded and bent this rod so much I need to start over with a fresh rod.
Attached Image

Here is my question: It's pretty much a straight shot with a stock oil pan from the shaft that exits the car and the transmission...no heat exchangers etc in the way that the factory had to bend the rod around (similar to a straight shot like the tailshifter rods). If I take a straight piece of rod and add the correct ends on it I'm thinking the shifting would be cleaner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) or am I wasting my time?

Is the best way to deterimine the correct total length to make a shift rod is by putting the transmission in neutral and the cabin shifter in the neutral postion and make the rod that length? I'm assuming with a straight rod that should rotate and correctly engage all the gears.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Aug 9 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #2

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

here is mine - ala ROOT : )

works fine so far.

jim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Aug 9 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #3

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 9 2008, 08:19 AM) *

here is mine - ala ROOT : )

works fine so far.

jim

Thanks Jim. Your engine bar seems to be higher than mine. I believe my rod will clear the bar on top. Did you start with a sideshifter bar...it looks more like a tailshift rod...very straight?
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Aug 9 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #4

Love these little cars!

Boy, I'm glad I didn't wait for any responses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Anyway, replaced the oil pan with a stock one with bling and stock side shift rod...everything fit great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 10 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Like you found out a stock shift rod works fine with a sbc stock oil pan . If you don't mind doing some adjustment you do not even have to add any length to it.
Heres a picture of the shift rod I made for my LS1 914. Borgeson joints on each end. The shift rod is straight 1/2" drill rod with the cut out for clearance for the oil filter. Just got it back from the plater with some other things.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:36 AM