Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heater Controls and Fresh Air box assembly, Front cowl
cary
post Oct 27 2014, 08:06 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 27 2014, 04:21 AM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 27 2014, 12:44 AM) *

FU air box blower thing. You are a huge pain in the ass!!!

(90 minutes... 1 of 2 bolts installed)

-Steve

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Yeah, I've never felt like this about anything I've attempted on my 'teener.

Not laughing at you, more in sympathy, but this gave me a good laugh this morning. Good luck, hope you get it done.

I was going to write something last night too. What a PIA.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jack20
post Apr 10 2015, 05:57 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 18,099
Region Association: Northern California

Took me nearly 2 hours to get one bolt in and then the nut fell into the box on the other...had to start over. An hour and a half later ,nothing.
Why is this thing so difficult to install? Any tricks??
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Apr 10 2015, 09:50 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(jack20 @ Apr 10 2015, 07:57 PM) *

Took me nearly 2 hours to get one bolt in and then the nut fell into the box on the other...had to start over. An hour and a half later ,nothing.
Why is this thing so difficult to install? Any tricks??

Not sure this has been mentioned.... I found it necessary to loosen all of the wiper drive arm holding hardware so that the wiper arms could "float" in the wiper drive post holes. This little bit of movement of the wiper assembly really helped getting the blower box in.
+Quote Post
jack20
post Apr 11 2015, 12:13 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,099
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks! I'll try anything...
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 11 2015, 01:14 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 27 2014, 04:21 AM) *

-Steve

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Yeah, I've never felt like this about anything I've attempted on my 'teener.

Not laughing at you, more in sympathy, but this gave me a good laugh this morning. Good luck, hope you get it done.

I have the friggin horror story of all that I have had with my car with that friggen thing.

After 6 six years of sitting on a replacement I finally got around to it. After two weekends of cleaning, gas tank rehab and multiple cuts from the cables ect. got it together.

Worked one time and then the little clip that holds the fan lever cable broke......

Still pissed off about it. Piss on it...I'll open the window. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 11 2015, 01:16 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Tricks:

Lots of patience.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Apr 11 2015, 01:53 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 11 2015, 09:16 PM) *

Tricks:

Lots of patience.

I ran out of patience....couldnt get the box to slide in without the new top seal sliding out of its position due to it being a hair or two too large. Had to slide in the passenger end first and then force the drivers side in then jam the whole assembly upwards with a crowbar while a friend entered the screws from the side.....

f#ciking pita..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 11 2015, 03:02 PM
Post #28

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

One trick I learned after doing this a *FEW* times was to get a good set of snap ring pliers and remove the spring clips securing the lower to upper section of the box.
Carefull...! After 30+ years that plastic/Bakelite is VERY fragile.
Once separated it makes it a bit easier to remove install and maneuver the parts around.
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Apr 5 2016, 11:28 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

I added some notes to a couple of picts for additional info.

Dave

Attached File  Heater___Ventilation_control.pdf ( 33.13k ) Number of downloads: 562

Attached File  Heater___Ventilation_control_2.pdf ( 84.24k ) Number of downloads: 547
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 6 2016, 01:52 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 28 2014, 12:21 AM) *

-Steve

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) its a crap job,to be honest mine isn't completely back together,tryed to screw the control levers back on to the back dash and realized I didn't have 3 hands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Wee tip,had one cable binding up on one lever ...really firm when fully open,removed cable and found it tight when not attached to both ends.
Had a VW golf bonnent release cable lying around so cut that to length and fitted it .....smooth as,these cables have nylon liners and seem to work better than the stock ones.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Apr 6 2016, 06:12 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 11,426

I need to find two cables to complete my project. I had one with the end broke off, tried to rebend the s curve end on the control side back in...the wire is so brittle, it just breaks off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Dave
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Apr 6 2016, 06:26 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Apr 11 2015, 07:53 PM) *

Tricks:

Lots of patience.

I ran out of patience....couldnt get the box to slide in without the new top seal sliding out of its position due to it being a hair or two too large. Had to slide in the passenger end first and then force the drivers side in then jam the whole assembly upwards with a crowbar while a friend entered the screws from the side.....

Yep, had the same issue. Bought a new seal and grille for the top from 914rubber, and had a real fight getting it in. I found it easier to glue the seal onto the grille with a little superglue then use liquid soap on the sides and top to get it to slide in. Otherwise it all jams up and everything falls out of place.
The new seals need compressing to get the bolts in from each side so in the end I had to use a softwood lever under the box to force it upwards enough to get the two bolts in each side (risking breaking the plastic box).
Not an easy job working alone.
Maybe Mark from 914rubber can chip in with some advice? It's almost as if the new top seals need to be a softer rubber compound or slightly more like a foam rubber to still expand and seal, but make it much easier to compress????
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 6 2016, 04:40 PM
Post #33

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(arkitect @ Apr 6 2016, 05:12 AM) *

I need to find two cables to complete my project. I had one with the end broke off, tried to rebend the s curve end on the control side back in...the wire is so brittle, it just breaks off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Dave

I think I have a set left over from my conversion. You talking about those 3 cables about 18" long?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Apr 7 2016, 07:19 AM
Post #34

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

One week a few years ago I restored my box. It took a week to reinstall it. So I'm deathly afraid of even thinking about touching it again. Some of you talented people should come up with a modern metal box. You'll be rich (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
SA-914
post Apr 7 2016, 07:49 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE(Darren C @ Apr 6 2016, 07:26 AM) *

Tricks:

Lots of patience.

Yep, had the same issue. Bought a new seal and grille for the top from 914rubber, and had a real fight getting it in. I found it easier to glue the seal onto the grille with a little superglue then use liquid soap on the sides and top to get it to slide in. Otherwise it all jams up and everything falls out of place.
The new seals need compressing to get the bolts in from each side so in the end I had to use a softwood lever under the box to force it upwards enough to get the two bolts in each side (risking breaking the plastic box).
Maybe Mark from 914rubber can chip in with some advice? It's almost as if the new top seals need to be a softer rubber compound or slightly more like a foam rubber to still expand and seal, but make it much easier to compress????

New grill also was to big for my box, so I cut some off all four sides. I too had problems compressing the new seal. One bolts goes in easy. The second needed a board under the box to compress the gasket enough to get the second bolt on.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
NS914
post Apr 7 2016, 10:10 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 10,455
Region Association: Canada

Thanks for bringing this post back...I have saved it as I will into this in two weeks if I get all of my wiring complete. Grant
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Apr 7 2016, 11:24 AM
Post #37

GeoJoe

Member No.: 11,329
Region Association: North East States

What needs to be added to this procedure is that you should have two air boxes on hand....one to install and the other to take your aggression out on. Since I started with only one, I had to get anther after the uncontrollable urge to destroy the thing came over me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
3d914
post Apr 7 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,191

QUOTE(rgolia @ Apr 7 2016, 10:24 AM) *

What needs to be added to this procedure is that you should have two air boxes on hand....one to install and the other to take your aggression out on. Since I started with only one, I had to get anther after the uncontrollable urge to destroy the thing came over me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 7 2016, 01:22 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Darren C @ Apr 7 2016, 01:26 AM) *

Tricks:

Lots of patience.

Did mine the same way,my cowl seal was original and in great condition I hate to think what it would be like compressing a new one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 7 2016, 01:28 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE(arkitect @ Apr 7 2016, 01:12 AM) *

Dave

Dave the other good thing about the Golf hood release cable is the wire is softer and bends easily to fit the levers,its also more flexible and this helps when refitting.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:37 AM