Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heater Controls and Fresh Air box assembly, Front cowl
arkitect
post Apr 17 2016, 10:54 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

I found a solution to my cable problem. Replaced the brittle old wire with some new galvanized 16ga wire. Was able to bend the s shape bend at the control. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
draganc
post Dec 30 2016, 05:55 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

Achtung achtung, here comes ze rant: you mofo-ker, who ever designed this f-ing blower/air box, yes I'm talk about you Klaus-Dieter or Hans or Helmut, I hope you never ever get one "...of those tasty Sauerkraut sandwiches..." again!!!!

What da funk is wrong with people design sheit likes this? This must be the worse German engineering EVER!
+Quote Post
morsmanlaw
post Mar 17 2017, 08:05 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 16,308
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Nov 22 2010, 07:34 AM) *

Loosen up the two cowl support brackets and remove the bolts to let the cowl flex a little when installing the fresh air blower assm. It makes it easier to install...

Not sure if you will get this reply, but your post from over 6 years ago was of great help in my being able to get the box back in.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Mar 17 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 13,287

I just did this job today. Been dreading it for a while now.

it would have helped if I had seen this thread before I started, but I did some of the same tricks that worked for others.

first the plastic grill was a little too big and was holding the seal out too far. so I sanded it on all four sides until the rubber seal fit nicely.

I thought about loosening the wiper assembly but got it in without having to do that.

Had it in and out a couple three times because the seal kept getting pushed out of place. ended up slathering liquid hand soap on the seal to help it slide in past the wiper bar and cowl.

Ended up ovaling the mounting holes a little with a file (sorry Darren, But I gave up fighting it) and using a block of wood and a pry bar to get the second bolt started. All the while holding my breath hoping that I wouldn't bust the housing.....

Then came trying to connect the cable underneath the blower ... another adventure.

But it was successful. and then I walked away from it.... Glad that's done.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 28 2017, 07:47 AM
Post #45

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(draganc @ Dec 30 2016, 07:55 PM) *

Achtung achtung, here comes ze rant: you mofo-ker, who ever designed this f-ing blower/air box, yes I'm talk about you Klaus-Dieter or Hans or Helmut, I hope you never ever get one "...of those tasty Sauerkraut sandwiches..." again!!!!

What da funk is wrong with people design sheit likes this? This must be the worse German engineering EVER!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

I have been working on my connections on the slider mechanism and the indicator lights, but still only one speed- so I will pull the fan and try a different on I have- this thread should help get it all back together I hope!
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 5 2017, 09:09 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

I'm laughing here, always wondered how much bier some of these engineers were having while designing this stuff...

But why I'm here...I remember as I was cruising around I remember seeing someone selling a kit of plates that over the holes in the under-dash when you remove the fresh air blower. I'm going to do this on the race car, since I'm running open-top anyway...I can't for the LIFE of me find those again. Coulda been ebay, maybe amazon, maybe one of our standard vendors? Just can't find it again.

Halp?
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Dec 5 2017, 10:05 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 16,470
Region Association: Southern California

I bought the Maddog set. Fit great. He's a vendor here. Website is Maddogs motor sports. Under 914 accessories.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 5 2017, 10:28 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

That's the one! Can't even imagine where I saw that...thanks!
+Quote Post
JFG
post Feb 21 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

I've just completed this pig of a job.

I used the link below to identify which cable went where as I couldn't get a clear picture from the link on page 1

http://hartpenn.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/

Those little 7mm clamping bolts are like jelly!
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Oct 22 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 15,673

QUOTE(mcbrems @ Mar 18 2011, 03:03 PM) *

Much gratitude. I used this tutorial extensively during a complete reinstall of my blower and flappers. I do have some additions and a clarification, though.

The shortest control cable connects the middle dash panel slider to the driver flapper rear top link.
The medium length dash control cable connects the top dash panel slider to the fresh air blower flaps.

My clarification is regarding the longest control cable, which connects the red bottom dash lever to the driver side flapper front linkage, which channels hot air either to the floor, or to the defroster/dash vent.

With the red slider all the way to the right for maximum defrost, the driver flapper valve should be channeling all hot air from the up-tube to the defroster nozzle. The only configuration that delivers that result is when the control cable is connected to the driver flapper box front bottom link. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) This is the one instance that differs from the above tutorial. Connecting the cross-link cable from the driver front top link to the passenger flapper box rear linkage will then make sure the same action is copied on the passenger side.

I just completed a full mock-up on the bench and confirm the comments just above:
The cable commenting from the drivers side TOP front connection goes to the passenger side rear connection, & the bottom control cable from the red dash slider goes to the Bottom front drivers side flapper box.
Barefoot

Here's a link to my blower/flapper reinstall:
http://914electric.wordpress.com/2011/03/18/take-the-heat/

Cheers,
MarkB
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Oct 22 2018, 06:58 PM
Post #51

QUOTE(arkitect @ Apr 6 2016, 01:28 AM) *

I added some notes to a couple of picts for additional info.

Dave

One correction:
The TOP of front left (drivers side) cable goes to the rear of the right (passengers side) box.
You're correct that bottom control (RED) from the dash slider goes to the bottom front of the left (drivers side)
Just mocked up the whole system on the bench to figure how to do the routing
Barefoot
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Oct 22 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #52

delete
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:30 AM