Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5 lug Conversion, What would you do?
Suspension Options
What combination would you use?
Use 911 Front Suspension [ 20 ] ** [28.57%]
Use 911 Parts with 914 Koni Shocks and 914 Sway Bar [ 10 ] ** [14.29%]
Use 911 Parts with 911 Koni Shocks and 911 Sway Bar [ 6 ] ** [8.57%]
Use existing front end replace with 911 strut/hub with 914 Koni Shocks, turbo tie-rods, 914 sway bar [ 27 ] ** [38.57%]
Other [ 7 ] ** [10.00%]
Total Votes: 70
Guests cannot vote 
jesiv
post Aug 24 2008, 01:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,975
Region Association: Northern California

Ok I am starting to play. So I purchased the complete suspension from a drilled 5 lug conversion (complete front including rack and rear trailing arms with drilled 5 lug hub). My plan was to buy a sway bar, tubro tie rods, koni adjustable and then replace entire front suspension. I thought I was clear on what I was going to do.

Today I found a great deal on a freshly rebuilt 72 911 front suspension with 911 sway bar and torsion bars. It is a complete suspension minus steering rack and tie rods. So I am thinking I should install the 911 stuff.

Or should I mix and match parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

The 911 brakes sure look nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Also would you get 15 or 16 fuchs? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Regards,

James
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 24 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #2

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have the front end from a '78 SC with a 914 style sway bar. My struts are the 3 1/2 spacing for the calipers though. I run 15s. I really like how my front feels.

+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 24 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #3

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

"Totally" depends on what you want to do with your car.

You can't go wrong with the 72 911 struts. You may simple want to add them to your a-arms for the best ride quality.

While Jon likes how his front end feels, he may be using them for different over purposes than you or most. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 24 2008, 02:03 AM
Post #4

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

NO. Everyone must be doing the same thing as me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Okay, I guess I should add that my car has been set up for short trips and AX. I drive to all the events which is about 60 to 80 miles each way. This car is NOT a daily driver. It could be if I went to my chiropracter every day
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Aug 24 2008, 02:40 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

I voted "Use existing front end replace with 911 strut/hub with 914 Koni Shocks, turbo tie-rods, 914 sway bar"

I had already set up my suspension for auto-x with Yellow Koni gas sport shocks frt & rr, a thru body 19mm adjustable sway bar, 21mm or 22mm T-bars, poly bushings frt & rr.

When I went to 5 lug I used 72 911 struts, hubs and brakes, 4cyl rear hubs drilled for 5 lug with 6cyl rotors and 4cyl calipers. On the frt; I pulled my frt struts out swapped the Koni's to the 911 struts and back together with. On the rear I swapped the hubs and 914/6 rotor for what I had and when back together with it. I would guess I rechecked my corner weights and alignment but it has been too long to remember for sure.

I will note that early 911's and 914's used the same type of sway bars. Thru the body under the fuel tank on a 914 and behind the fuel tank on a 911. Latter (74 I think) 911's used and under body sway bar. I prefer the thru body bars because there are aftermarket adjustable bars available so you can better tune the suspension.

I used mine for auto-x and daily driving. I was a bit stiff and harsh but I did not mind.

Jim
+Quote Post
marks914
post Aug 24 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,912
Region Association: None

I decided to run 82 911 SC struts, hubs, brakes, ball joints with turbo tie rods and a 914 19mm sway bar. I had a ste of 15" phone dials, but now I have some 17" boxter S alloys

Mark

Rides nice, even on Michigan roads, which have to be the worst roads in the country.

(IMG:http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/41449/1236147744057582025S500x500Q85.jpg)

(IMG:http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/30306/1236147814057582025S500x500Q85.jpg)

(IMG:http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/40332/1253350713057582025S500x500Q85.jpg)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 24 2008, 10:14 AM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

I went with my original 4 cylinder front end but replaced the hub and rotor with a crossdrilled SC rotor and a billet hub available in the Classifieds here. Very nice product. Brake calipers can be M calipers from the early 911 but I am going to try something different. You can see them peaking out from behind that Fuch. Aluminum mmmmmm..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
In the rear, I went with PMB rebuilt and modified trailing arms. You can't get easier than that.
Wheels are 16X6 Fuchs..

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 24 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I'm working on this as well. I have early 911 Boge 3" struts that'll get non-vented/solid rotors and use my existing calipers. This way I can install the struts in an afternoon without having to rebleed my brakes. Later I will bolt on vented rotors and stock rebuilt caliper with spacers.

Minimum work: replace struts
Maximum work: replace entire front suspension
Difference at the end of the day: full 911 setup has better torsion bar selection.

I'll stick with the 'measly' 914 torsion bar selection and go for minimum work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
jesiv
post Aug 24 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #9

I see where y'all are coming from. One thing that just occurred to me is that my a-arms do not have utabs (which got me looking at front suspensions to begin with) so I have to replace a-arms.

So seems link complete 911 front suspension is the best and equal effort route?

Opinions...

Thanks for the real life opinions.

Regards,

james
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 24 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #10

PMB Performance

I'm working on this as well. I have early 911 Boge 3" struts that'll get non-vented/solid rotors and use my existing calipers. This way I can install the struts in an afternoon without having to rebleed my brakes. Later I will bolt on vented rotors and stock rebuilt caliper with spacers.

It will work with the solid rotors if you have early 914 calipers, not late (unless by existing calipers you mean existing M-Calipers that came with the early front end; see below).

Also, you will have to change hubs when you add the vented rotors. The vented rotor hub has a 3-4mm face set difference from the solid rotor hub to make up for 1/2 the distance of the new spacers.

What do you mean by stock rebuilt caliper with spacers? 911 M-Caliper?

Personally, I like the 914 torsion bars for... well... the 914. Especially a car that will be spending 80-90% of it's time on the street.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 24 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The U-tabs can be added to any arms, so that's not a problem. I replaced the struts on my car with early 80s Carrera struts and brakes, but I'd just look around and see what you can find with a good price. These parts are all pretty much interchangeable, and there is no real advantage to -4 or -6 arms other than the number of splines on the torsion bars. The same with the crossmember, the aluminum one is not that much different than the early steel ones.
+Quote Post
jmill
post Aug 24 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #12

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Utabs?. Are you talking about the swaybar to a-arm attachment? You can buy those and just weld them on.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 24 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

But if you've already got 911 arms with suitable tabs, then run those. Welding vs. just swapping.

What do you mean by stock rebuilt caliper with spacers?
Front calipers with spacers in between the halfs... Crap, I thought this was going to be easy... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 25 2008, 07:35 AM
Post #14

PMB Performance

Front calipers with spacers in between the halfs...

I guess the question is "what" front calipers. The previous comment in your post make it sounds like you'd be using stock 914 front calipers.

I have early 911 Boge 3" struts that'll get non-vented/solid rotors and use my existing calipers

What I'm trying to say is:

1. You could do that (use 914 calipers on an early 911 front end) but, they would have to be the early 1970-1972.5 variety.

2. If you're talking M-Calipers it would be best to get the ones with the spacers and build those in advance. You could then put them together without the spacers but with the longer fasteners. This way, when you wanted to add vented, simply install the spacers.

3. Your main problem in this would be the hub. I've had the two side by side. The geometry escapes me now but I "think" the later hub has 3-4mm "added" to the rotor mounting sufrace so... no, this won't be easy.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 25 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #15

914 Freak!

I was thinking stock calipers the whole time.

I have the solid rotor hubs and 'some other' hubs. I'll get all the parts back to the shop and do some comparison.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 25 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

You're 100% correct Eric! (of course)

I'll have to run the solid rotor hubs as well. I think I'd better test fit all of this before I go to put it on the car.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 25 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #17

Resident German

Member No.: 179

I went and got a complete 911 frontend from a '84 Carrera ...

Crossmember, A-Arms, Underbody Swaybar, Struts & Shocks, Hubs, Rotors, Calipers ...
The whole Shebang complete and together, direct bolt-in. No need to worry about mis-matching parts plus you get the 3.5" caliper spacing which makes for easier brake upgrades down the road.

I ran with the 911 underbody swaybar for a few weeks and they work great. I went to a through body bar later for adjustability, but for a street car, the underbody bar works just fine.

I also like the slightly heavier torsion bars on the 911 A-Arms.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
jesiv
post Aug 25 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #18

Ok, so based on your experience, if I install 911 suspension... Will 15x6 or 16x6 fuchs just fit... No Problems? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Regards,

James
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 25 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Any 'Porsche' wheels will fit with two caveats: wheel spacers and fender flares. You are now entering the world of Wheel Offsets™
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post Aug 25 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #20

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 25 2008, 07:15 PM) *

You are now entering the world of Wheel Offsets™

AAAAAHHHHhhh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 02:28 AM