Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Carb/Timing Question, I am really not good at this stuff
Joe Ricard
post Aug 26 2008, 06:20 AM
Post #21

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

Yea I have had a 2.0L engine for many years. Low compression SSI 009 40IDF. and I was never able to run less than a 130 Main jet.

ran a 1911 cc motor for awhile and it was so screwed out of tune it needed a 135 main. (absolutely un-tunable).

my 2098cc with high compression 10.3:1 and 40 IDF's only requires a 135 main.

the 2316-210 is going to start with a 140 and we'll go from there.
The engine size in this thread is what 2.4L ?????? not sure how that is obtained with a 78.5mm crank.

Reading main jet richness is tough because the idle jets will significantly mask what's going on.

I have a wide band A/F meter and I know exactly what going on when. These things are accurate enough and quick enough to watch the carb tranisition through all the circuits.

Guess I get my dander up when people are repeating what they read on the net with little or no real experience tuning.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 26 2008, 08:16 AM
Post #22

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I guess after rebuilding three motors you are the Guru.
I wish you were into aircooled cars way back when I got my first one...you would have set me straight....

Never use an 009 an a type 4 motor. BTDT...its just not the right advance curve.
The 050 is closer and works alot better.
I stick with the stock 2.0 distributor and never have issues. Just dont run the vacuum advance, its not needed.
the distributor is a big part of having a tunable motor...

3 people, myself included are repeating real world experience running dual webers.

I had a stroked 2.4 with 98mm cylinders, its an old combo that was around back when Mahle made aluminum 98 mm cylinders for the type 4 motor....it was pretty common 15 or so years back.
Works out to 2368 (circa 2.4) and ran on 40mm webers to meet SCCA rules at the time.
Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 01:21 PM