Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seat Upholstery, How many yards...
Aircooledfool
post Aug 28 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,858
Region Association: None

I received a sample of a red tartan fabric from SMS Auto Fabric and while it is not an exact match of the original, it looks pretty good! Anyone know how many yards of fabric are needed to cover a seat insert?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sww914
post Aug 28 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

I'm sorry that I don't know off of the top of my head, but I do know that 1 yard of upholstery fabric or vinyl is 54" X 36". Both of my parents are upholsterers, I will typically measure all the pieces and try to fit them on an imaginary 54" wide X ? area to figure out how many yards I need.
Don't forget to include enough for the seams, and vinyl stretches lengthwise so you'll need to cut some parts that may fit crosswise lengthwise instead so that you can use the stretch to your advantage, and fabric has a nap like carpet so you'll need to match the nap between insert pieces or it will look like different colors.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Aug 28 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you are doing the centers and bottom of the seat you can probably scrape by with a little more than one yard. I would get two in case of goof ups. Will you do the door panels too? Dash face?

I just finished (mostly) redoing my interior from scratch. Frustrating but rewarding.
+Quote Post
Aircooledfool
post Aug 29 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,858

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 29 2008, 12:04 AM) *

If you are doing the centers and bottom of the seat you can probably scrape by with a little more than one yard. I would get two in case of goof ups. Will you do the door panels too? Dash face?

I just finished (mostly) redoing my interior from scratch. Frustrating but rewarding.

Redoing the entire interior but the plaid is for the seats only. Thanks for inupt!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 12:18 AM