Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914/6 conversion oil line routing
rfuerst911sc
post Aug 31 2008, 07:31 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

O.K. I'm making progress on my conversion and I'm ready to start installing the oil tank. I have the DW Design aluminum tank and I've cut out the inner fender to accommodate the tank but haven't mounted it yet. I have a few questions on the oil line routing. The forward oil line ( the one under the relay board ) I think I have to cut a hole in the sheet metal to route the line to the engine or thermostat is that right? Has anyone ever used the hole for the engine tray drain lines? I know this is not as direct as a forward hole but it's already drilled and I'm not running a engine tray so the hole isn't being used. And the bottom line from the tank can I see some pics of the routing and possibly the installation of a " tee " for draining the tank? Actually any pics of either oil line would be a great help. I do plan on running a front oil cooler so I will be useing a firewall mounted thermostat, so any pics of that would help also. Thanks guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 29)
GeorgeRud
post Sep 1 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The Mocal thermostat also works well mounted to the rear firewall. You can run the one line from the engine case passenger side to the thermostat, then the male attachment threads on the thermostat (same side) can have another line run to the bottom of the oil tank. The other (outer) fittings on the cooler can be used to run lines to the front mounted oil cooler along the passenger side longitudinal.

Worked well for me. Use at least -12 line or larger. I'd recommend the braided line if your running it outside of the longs.
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Sep 2 2008, 06:47 AM
Post #22

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003

Here is a pic of my "T" for draining the oil. Someone said that sometimes the oil valve fails. I've used them (the type in the pic) for years and have had no problem. There is no real oil pressure in that line, so that wouldn't be a problem. The only way I can see how it would fail is if it was hit from bottoming out the car.
If you didn't want to use a drain valve, just insert a double male connector and loosen one of the hoses.
As far as getting the lines to a front cooler, I am running the "in" line through the passenger side longitudnal side and the "return" line in the driver's side. I used 12an stainless hose and slid the hoses through a oversize garden type hose for protection. In the past I ran the lines along the driver's side on the outside and around the left front fender and into the trunk that way. I just thought that it was exposing the lines too much (side impact & front tire blowing out and taking out lines) so I decided to run the lines in the old heat tubes to the front............Hope this helps............

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Sep 2 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Sep 2 2008, 04:47 AM) *

Here is a pic of my "T" for draining the oil. Someone said that sometimes the oil valve fails. I've used them (the type in the pic) for years and have had no problem. There is no real oil pressure in that line, so that wouldn't be a problem. The only way I can see how it would fail is if it was hit from bottoming out the car.
If you didn't want to use a drain valve, just insert a double male connector and loosen one of the hoses.
As far as getting the lines to a front cooler, I am running the "in" line through the passenger side longitudnal side and the "return" line in the driver's side. I used 12an stainless hose and slid the hoses through a oversize garden type hose for protection. In the past I ran the lines along the driver's side on the outside and around the left front fender and into the trunk that way. I just thought that it was exposing the lines too much (side impact & front tire blowing out and taking out lines) so I decided to run the lines in the old heat tubes to the front............Hope this helps............

I'm confused by this pic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Where is the engine mounted cooler in the pic? This is the drivers side right? In regards to a T I was thinking of installing the T on the bottom of the oil tank. Instead of a " valve " I was thinking of just having a " cap " to remove to drain the tank. I do however like the way you did this I just need to get this right in my head (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 2 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #24

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Sep 2 2008, 02:35 PM) *

I'm confused by this pic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Where is the engine mounted cooler in the pic?

The 3.6L motor doesn't have an engine mounted cooler ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Sep 2 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #25

In the pic the engine oil cooler is attached to the solid steel line making the 90 degree bend going toward the engine. The pic was taken from the driver's side. You can hardly see the line from the bottom of the tank in the left side. It is a 3.0 engine using the original 914-6 engine oil cooler. I loosen the hose on either side of the drain valve and point it down to drain and then back in the position it is now when I'm done. It works quite well.
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Sep 2 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #26

Here's a pic of what a friend did for the oil drain. It looks like what you want to do.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Sep 2 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Sep 2 2008, 04:30 PM) *

Here's a pic of what a friend did for the oil drain. It looks like what you want to do.

We're getting closer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I was thinking of installing a T actually at the tank. The bottom of the T would have a AN style cap and the " side " of the T would be where the hose attaches and then goes to the cooler. So to drain the tank you just remove the cap and let it drain. Now what I don't know is there enough room to do this? Is a AN T available that will screw onto the DW Design tank without additional adapter fittings? If the answer is no then what is in this pic is the next best approach in my opinion. Thanks to all that have posted replies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Sep 3 2008, 05:03 AM
Post #28

Using the 914-6 style oil tank I think you won't have the room to do what you say.
The best to do is add in a drain "T" like the pic of the yellow 914. It is pretty much what I did with the drain vavle with mine. Instead of un-screwing a cap, I just flip the vavle handle to drain.
The way Porsche did it on my orignal 914-6 was to un-screw a union from the oil tank to cooler hose to drain. The union was just about half way from the tank and the cooler.
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Sep 3 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #29

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

I'm going to take the opportunity to remove the tank for inspection of the tank and behind when I drop the oil. Big chance of the steel tank and the body behind being damaged by rot
+Quote Post
naro914
post Sep 3 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #30

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

just fyi, I ran my oil lines down inside the rockers, though I do not have heat....so if you're not going to have heat, you can run them down the ductwork inside the rockers. If you do have heat ...well..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 11:13 AM