Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 guys - Overheating Fuel Pump in the Front Trunk.., Where do you mount it?
cobra94563
post Sep 16 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #21

Chris

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,696

Thanks tony and computors4kids - I'll check the draw and see what where it's at. So if it's at 2amps, should be fine thru the wire I have (i think 16-18).

Yeah, the pump gets so hot, it's hard to believe they were designed to normally operate at that temp.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Sep 16 2008, 01:00 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

How about the fuel filter ? My pump and filter is in the engine bay, and gets hot as well. the fuel filter was rite up against the engine sheet metal, once moved , the problem was less frequent, but as of yesterday, it messed with me again, the car doesn't overheat , neither. I was told maybe I need bigger fuel lines ? It sounds like the fuel pump is starving, I have a Mallory 60.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Sep 16 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 16 2008, 04:30 AM) *

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Sep 16 2008, 12:30 AM) *

Can one of you guys tell me why you don't use a SBC pump that is mounted on the block?? I thought it was due to the pump not fitting due to the engine mount and bar, but I find it hard to believe that is the case...

Am I wrong ???

Thom
If your using a electric water pump you can use the stock SBC block mounted mechinacal fuel pump. Otherwise either the waterpump or alternator are in the way.

Bob

Thanks Bob !!!
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Sep 16 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I have a Holley red on my SBC car. Mounted in the front for about 10 miles. Its was way too loud mounted there. I moved it to the rear and mounted it in rubber where the stock fuel filter was. You can not hear it run now. Been working great for over 15k miles.

Bob
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Nov 21 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #25

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

For my 2c, I would agree that you shoud FIRST check out the pump to be sure there is not a problem with shorted windings that could create the heat.

Then, look at mounting the pump back in the engine bay as I did: I ran my fuel line down the right-side chassis box section and mounted the pump low on the right side. It has been working faithfully for 6 years.

While I throwing out cheap advice: take the header tank and catch bottle out of the trunk, plumb directly to the engine bay and mount the header tank as high as you can (above the engine) in the rear. I have a small header tank back on the right side of the engine, some 4-5 inches above the water outlet, but still fitting UNDER the engine cover. I filled the car with water and coolant, let the air AUTOMATICALLY extract the air from the system, filled to 1/2 full tank level and have not touched the water in several years! THIS is the right way to use a header tank as there is a 3/8" tube run from the thermostat housing to the top part of the header tank and this is how the AIR separates from the water. It is so easy!!

Best of luck,
Terry

QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Sep 15 2008, 08:02 AM) *

I have an overheating fuel pump in the front trunk. I think it overheats because of the heat coming off the radiator and screws up the pump enough to so I loose fuel pressure down to 1psi.

The pump is a new holley red w/a holley regulator. The pump gets so hot you cannot keep you hand on it. I iced it down a bit and my pressure immediately comes back up. I considered the heat could be from the pump, but the wiper motors also get too hot to touch.

So where do you mount your pump (if not in the front trunk)?
Or what kind of pump do you have (if in the front trunk)?
..or maybe I have to cut more openings..? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 11:43 AM