Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Carb Setting Nightmare, Always better to do it yourself??
vesnyder
post Sep 27 2008, 06:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

I have been having issues with adjusting the carbs on my rebuilt 1911 so I thought I would see what a professional could do. This local mechanic specializes in Porsche's and has recently gotten a dyno so I thought I would have him adjust my Webers. The car was running fine but was rich at higher RPM's as confirmed by his dyno and sensors he was using to adjust. I had 28 mm venturis and 115 mains. It ran good but the rich situation gave me concerns particularly on a rebuilt motor. I went to pick it up after he had the car for several days and he said he was having issues. The car was running like crap, backfiring and missing. He said the carbs were adjusted good but it was either the distributor or the valves??? He had put in 195 mains and 34 mm venturis? Upon further inspection he had a 185 in one of the carbs? WTF? On top of that he charged me $320? I am done with so-called experts. This takes the cake!

BTW I am working with Jogn at AirCooled to fix!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Sep 27 2008, 07:04 PM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

If there is no issues with the engine (condition, timing, etc) the number one problem is always linkage...linkage...LINKAGE.

It MUST open and close at the same rate, smoothly, no bind, no sideload. I haven't seen many linkage set-ups I like and the ones for type 4 suck dog butt so I make my own center pulls from scratch.

Just had to fix up one of my setups that a respected porsche shop (Mantas) totally f'ed up. Nothing wrong with it, but the operator was clueless.

195 mains...WTF....I've done a 2.6l (44 webers) T4 and I don't think it's past 165's
BTW if you look at my main# it's wrong as I reem my mains, so it might say 135 but it's really 155... so # mean nothing to me.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Sep 27 2008, 07:17 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

my linkage on a 2.6l T4

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Zundfolge
post Sep 27 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,994
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

So is $320 the going rate for setting up carbs?

I understand the guy the OP went to is an idiot, but if I could find someone that did a good job to set mine up for that I'd seriously consider it.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 27 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

320.00 for a day on a chassis dyno is fair, BUT he was obviously lost with the venturi and main jetting.

The issue with vents larger than 32mm in a weber 40 is the loss of carburetion... Meaning the huge vent slows the air speed to the point the engine is hard to tune. BIGGER IS NOT BETTER!

Try this
32 vents
130 main
200 air
F11 emulsion
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 28 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #6

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

I agree that 32mm venturis in 40mm carbs would likely improve the top end on your 1911, wiithout compromising a/f quality at idle and midrange. Anything bigger will kill low end performance and efficiency.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SGB
post Sep 28 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #7

just visiting

Member No.: 404

Can't get this kinda qualified advise for mere money. Try Jake's setup. I'll bet it is the one.
+Quote Post
vesnyder
post Sep 28 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,933

Thanks! I was moving in the same direction. What is the "200 Air" recommendation?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 28 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #9

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 27 2008, 09:17 PM) *

my linkage on a 2.6l T4

Nice and pretty.
Got a pic of one in a flat setup?? Not for a beetle??
The cable would not make it there?

I agree that every single one of the linkage setups Sucks...

If the original poster still has issues and cant afford a decent linkage setup, I can offer you this advice.

the CB style cross bar linkage properly setup (as best as you can get it) opens the carbs at different rates.
If you imagine a vertical plane running side to side and you measure the top of the drop link and the bottom on both sides you will notice they are are different angles. Out of the box this is how it sets up.

Start by making sure that side to side you have the drop links parallel...measure from top of one drop link to the top of the other...and bottom to bottom.
Make the parallel first.

Now to fix them so they match in the other direction you need one drop link to mount to the back of the throttle plate and the other to mount to the front.
This varies depending upon what throttle plates you are using..there are quite a few, but non of them fix the problem entirely.

Once you have it close you need to measure what the difference is...so if you are down to 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch you need to move both arms 50% of that difference to make them line up.
Go to the hardware store with the little ball bolt that is mounted to the throttle plate and find one of the little hex rod couplers...its basically a long nut threaded all the way through.
You will also need a tap that matches your ball bolt.
The hex bar couplers are 1/4 20 SAE thread...BUT...you can tap them for the ball cup..it works.
Pick up a few of those, cut them to length, tap them correctly and bolt them onto the throttle plate, then bolt in the ball bolt.

At the end of the day, this is as close as you can get to perfect...you end up being a bit off so you can clear the air cleaner housing, but its alot closer than before.

If you are a picture guy, go to www.356registry.org, look in the technical section and read the article about carb linkage...
This has been an issue since Webers were first bolted on to porsche motors.

Porsche overcame this issue with offset carb manifolds and offet throttle plates on the Solex carbs...really subtle but they step it back just a little bit on both the carbs and the manifold so the end results are the drop links are on the same plane all the way through the cycle.

Rich
+Quote Post
chris914
post Sep 28 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,393
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image
+Quote Post
chris914
post Sep 28 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #11

Attached Image
+Quote Post
gopack
post Sep 28 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #12

CHEESEHEAD in CA, MARK

Member No.: 2,472
Region Association: Northern California

That last one looks like mine. Who makes that one and are there the same types of problems as with the hex bar setups? seems to have worked well when the car was actually being driven!
+Quote Post
chris914
post Sep 28 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #13

It's made by CSP in Germany. Bolt it in, adjust the two arms to equal lengths, and drive away. I had to make the cable bracket and add a return spring.
+Quote Post
mattp
post Sep 28 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,252

I really like the set up but cant seem to find it on net, is it the same set up they are selling in CSP canada for the type 1?
Where did you get it and how much was it?
How / what did you make your cable bracket out of, it looks like a great set up, very simple. Matt
+Quote Post
chris914
post Sep 28 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #15

Thanks, The bracket is made of stainless steel to match the linkage made by CSP. I had the bracket CNC from an AutoCAD file I drew up.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...129%2D941%2D400
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Sep 29 2008, 06:30 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

QUOTE(chris914 @ Sep 28 2008, 10:29 PM) *

Thanks, The bracket is made of stainless steel to match the linkage made by CSP. I had the bracket CNC from an AutoCAD file I drew up.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...129%2D941%2D400

Chris, excellent set up, it's what I've been looking for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Can you post the dimensions of the cable bracket you made?

-- Rob
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 29 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #17

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(vesnyder @ Sep 28 2008, 12:04 PM) *

Thanks! I was moving in the same direction. What is the "200 Air" recommendation?

Air Correction Jet.

A typical Weber jet stack is (top to bottom) Air correction jet, emulsion tube, main jet.

Carbs tend to run increasingly rich as the airflow increases. The air correction jet provides a compensating air bleed to progressively lean the mixture as airflow increases.

If your AFR is decent up to peak torque but fattens up too much after that, a bigger air correction jet is the right call. It's all about balancing all the nonlinearities...

Also - you can't be too quick to blame your wrench just because you have one jet that is marked differently than the others. Just as there are jet reamers that make the holes bigger (without remarking the jet...) there are jet gauges that let you measure the -real- size.

For background - the size of a Solex/Weber/Dellorto (maybe others...) jet is the diameter of the hole in hundredths of a mm. Eg: a 115 jet is 1,15mm DIAMETER. Flow is proportional to the AREA.
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Sep 29 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

When I bought my 40's they came with a similar setup but not as purdy. I've found that when synching the carbs it helps to do it twice. The first time is the normal idle adjust and the linkage disconnected. The second time I put a little tension on the throttle cable to bring the engine up off idle so that it is controlled by the throttle linkage (~2k rpm). I then balance the flow a second time by adjusting the linkage lengths. This works well for my setup. Of course, I recall reading somewhere that this type of center pull system doesn't work because of the heat expansion of the engine. So make sure when you do your adjustments that the engine is good and warm!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 29 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #19

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 29 2008, 12:08 PM) *

It's all about balancing all the nonlinearities...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
I need a new dictionary.

Rich
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 29 2008, 02:37 PM
Post #20

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Rob Watson you paid attention to my engine you would see a very similair linkage set up like the CSP unit.

Yep hook it up and balance flow side to side and leave it alone. I am using Spherical bearing vs. the clip and ball sockets. but pretty much the same.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:18 AM