Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I got an engine for the 914, But it's probably not what you expect...
soloracer
post Feb 6 2004, 09:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 538

Last year I bought a Toyota 3SGTE engine out of an MR2 Turbo and was planning on installing it in the car. Then I started wondering if I should stay all Porsche so when a buyer appeared for the 3SGTE I sold it. For a month I looked around for an engine - even bid on a couple on e-bay - preferring to go with a 3.6.
I checked with Brad on prices for engines and he returned a call.
(Thanks Brad - I know you are really busy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) ).

I was just about give Brad a call back when another friend mentioned he had found a twin turbo Mazda 20B 3 rotor engine in Canada for $3000 Canadian ($2200 US) which is almost 1/2 of what they go for normally. Naturally I was interested so I called the guy up and ended up making a deal on it. That was last week and it should be here sometime next week. I phoned Hobart Kennedy - a very patient man - with Kennedy Engineering regarding an adapter plate and he told me they make one but that they were about a month behind schedule due to the sandrail market getting hot recently. I ended up ordering the adapter plate and flywheel ($430 US) and told him I would most likely end up getting a pressure plate and clutch from him as well.

The ignition on a 3 rotor engine is a little more difficult than the two rotor and my engine management system won't control it so I am looking at buying a Haltech E11 which many in the RX7 community have used on 20b's. A multi-talented friend of mine has offered to build the subframe, install the engine & transmission, install the E11 and get it running if I give him my old (never used) Haltech E6k. I'm thinking of taking him up on it.

The 20B makes 300 hp/300 ft-lbs torque in stock form and by running the turbo's in parallel plus increasing the boost 400-500 is easily in reach. More than that will require a big single which I may do at some time but not for a long time to be sure. I'm thinking that 400 hp will be more than enough for the transmission and driver to handle for a few years to come. Can anyone see any obvious problems or concerns with doing this swap?

The 3 rotor is a light weight engine and I have friends in the rotary community who can rebuild it for under $2000 Canadian if it ever needs to be done. Plus it makes cool noises in stock form - something like a mating between a Ferrari and a Buick Grande National.

Here is a video of a 3 rotor in a Delorean plus a sound clip of a big turbo 3 rotor on a dyno for you to enjoy.

I can't wait to get it in my car!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

20B Delorean Video

20B on the Dyno
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
soloracer   I got an engine for the 914   Feb 6 2004, 09:58 PM
aufaber   Sounds cool.. Not a huge fan of the sound of the 2...   Feb 6 2004, 10:05 PM
LS6/914   HEAT!! Being a x Mazda certified rotary te...   Feb 6 2004, 10:09 PM
soloracer   Four problems that I thought of right away were: r...   Feb 6 2004, 10:39 PM
soloracer   Here is a dyno (rwhp) comparison between a 20b at ...   Feb 6 2004, 10:48 PM
fiid   That will be one wicked car. If I knew ANYTHING a...   Feb 7 2004, 07:00 AM
maf914   What Mazda came with a three rotor? I thought all...   Feb 7 2004, 07:21 AM
watsonrx13   If you're concerned about cooling the car you ...   Feb 7 2004, 07:38 AM
BIGKAT_83   ...   Feb 7 2004, 07:42 AM
soloracer     Feb 7 2004, 10:49 AM
soloracer   ...   Feb 7 2004, 11:12 AM
reverie   I've been a member of www.rx7club.com/forum fo...   Mar 1 2004, 08:45 PM
soloracer   Reverie: I am also a member of the rx7club forum....   Mar 1 2004, 09:08 PM
Bleyseng   My son has been on that list forever (still is -RX...   Mar 1 2004, 09:19 PM
LS6/914   For the Lotus 7 that I "assembled" with a 13b I us...   Mar 1 2004, 09:26 PM
Freedom   you have to think if you want to do it you can... ...   Mar 2 2004, 12:09 AM
Quilmes  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:58 PM