Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> drilling 4 to 5 lug rotors...how accurate?
computers4kids
post Oct 3 2008, 09:01 AM
Post #1

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

I had a machine shop redrill my new zimmerman rear 4lug rotors to 5lug. The holes are slightly off and the rotors will not sit flush--they hang-up on the studs. I opened the holes up a bit and it is much better. Unfortunately, they need even more opening which I'm concerned because to do this will make some of the holes loose around the studs. Is this safe?

Choices, do I open the holes up so the rotor will slip around the studs even though some of the studs will be sloppy knowing the wheel studs once torqued will hold things correctly?
or
Do I just go out and buy a set of 914-6 rear rotors and cut my losses? If so does someone have a source near Visalia, CA that I can get fast...I want to put my 5 lug conversion together this weekend? Pelican won't ship for 5 days.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 3 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Positioning of the holes CAN be as accurate as you want, IF the machinist is up to it. There IS NO EXCUSE for misalignment, as the tools they would use for this are common to any good machine shop doing this kind of work.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
dbgriffith75
post Oct 3 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #3

TheGrif

Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Positioning of the holes CAN be as accurate as you want, IF the machinist is up to it. There IS NO EXCUSE for misalignment, as the tools they would use for this are common to any good machine shop doing this kind of work.

The Cap'n

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Nothing more to it.
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 3 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #4

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

You may be able to open up the interfering holes just enough. Make sure you use the screws to fasten the rotor to the hub; critical to try and center the rotor correctly. Bolt on the wheel as usual. Positioning of the rotor by use of the screws will go a long way in ensuring the rotor is centered, and the wheel bolts clamp it in place.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Oct 3 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 839
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(davep @ Oct 3 2008, 10:44 AM) *

Make sure you use the screws to fasten the rotor to the hub, critical to try and center the rotor correctly. Positioning of the rotor by use of the screws will go a long way in ensuring the rotor is centered.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 3 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

I thought the rotor was centered by the clearance of the inside of the rotor to the hub, not the bolt holes.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Oct 3 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 839
Region Association: Northern California

There are no centering features on the rear hubs, only the two flat-head screws.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 3 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #8

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Jeeeze! what kind of machine shop were they? I did mine myself on my drill press. It was easy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 3 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #9

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 3 2008, 12:35 PM) *

I thought the rotor was centered by the clearance of the inside of the rotor to the hub, not the bolt holes.

It is very close, but I would trust the screws to double-check the positioning. Personally, I'd want to spin it and check the runout to triple-check.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Oct 3 2008, 08:23 PM
Post #10

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

Thanks for all the replies. I was going to go ahead and open them-up to fit and use the two little screws to ensure the rotor is centered...then bolt it all up. However, even though the fitment won't be seen and won't effect how the brakes work, I'll know it's there and bother the hell out of me. After thinking aout it at work today, I just went ahead and ordered some new 914-6 rotors...I'm kind of a perfectionist. Maybe I would of re-considered after reading all the replies when I got home....but oh well. It happens...I guess.

+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 4 2008, 01:56 AM
Post #11

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I would almost bet it's not the studs/holes.

Look for a ridge on the inside of the 914-6 or 914 rotors. This is something new in the Zimmermans and they don't like to sit on a 914 hub without grinding down that ridge.

It's inside the rotor on the wall of the hat right down where it would mate with the hub.
+Quote Post
melnyk
post Oct 4 2008, 08:14 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 9,359

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 4 2008, 03:56 AM) *

I would almost bet it's not the studs/holes.

Look for a ridge on the inside of the 914-6 or 914 rotors. This is something new in the Zimmermans and they don't like to sit on a 914 hub without grinding down that ridge.

It's inside the rotor on the wall of the hat right down where it would mate with the hub.

i had this issue on my 4 lug rotors. i also couldnt get the grease cap fully on the fronts. the new cone they have on the fronts to hold the wheel is nice but it prevents the cap from going on enough and in turn i had to take off my center caps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:33 AM