Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT Who do you side with?, Campus Police Offer Shoots Intoxicated..
Who Do You Side With?
Who Do You Side With?
The Police Officer [ 20 ] ** [71.43%]
The Family [ 8 ] ** [28.57%]
Total Votes: 28
Guests cannot vote 
Elliot_Cannon
post Feb 9 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #21

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

First year Ball State police officer. Drunk college student. A recipe for disaster. How much training did this first year officer get? Was he a rentacop for the college? A municipal cop? Did the kid lunge at him or stumble as drunks sometimes do. Did he call for back up for this possible break in? Was he trained to assume that a burglar will be armed and he should fear for his life when confronting one therefore should always call for help? Did he drive a Porsche? I'm always reluctant to take sides in a case like this, not knowing all the facts. And lets face it that lawyer may say he is interested in making this world a better place but 30% of 100 Mil is very attractive and I think we know were his interests lie. A very tragic incident for everyone involved that usually boils down to a lack of intelligence and training.
Cheers, Elliot
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 9 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #22

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

I think there is a feeling underneith these comments that the officer was scared by the situation and reacted to that. I agree that he probably was and that was probably what motivated the shooting.

Everyone is human, and all that, and everyone makes mistakes, but frankly anyone who is freaked out by a drunk guy 12 feet away should not be holding a gun, and should not be holding a badge. I don't think this guy has the balls to be out on-call. I assume he was by himself and the incident occoured at night?

A more appropriate response would have been to push the guy over (I was nearly attacked by a drunk guy outside a night-club in england. I pushed him out the way. He spent so much time trying to balance again that I was able to get clear. I am, btw, a big wuss.)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 9 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #23

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 9 2004, 03:16 PM)
in the dark and with the "perp" running at him, the chances of missing his moving legs is greatly increased, (hitting an innoccent bystander directly or by bouncing off the pavement )

if you're running straight towards me, i promise you i won't have any problems hitting your legs from 100 or even 200 feet!
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Feb 9 2004, 05:25 PM
Post #24

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 9 2004, 03:22 PM)
in the dark and with the "perp" running at him, the chances of missing his moving legs is greatly increased, (hitting an innoccent bystander directly or by bouncing off the pavement )

if you're running straight towards me, i promise you i won't have any problems hitting your legs from 100 or even 200 feet!

I don't think I have ever seen a drunk run. I tried to run once when I was drunk. It wasn't pretty.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Feb 9 2004, 05:27 PM
Post #25

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 9 2004, 01:59 PM)

your legal system is FUCKED UP.

Im sueing you for $400 million for saying that. It hurt my feelings (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 9 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 9 2004, 03:22 PM)

Yeah - you stand aside and stick your foot out.
+Quote Post
Rgreen914
post Feb 9 2004, 05:40 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 1,266

One of the other things research about "shoot-outs" teaches us, is that in these situations, accuracy falls dramatically! I personally know of an experienced officer who emptied two guns at a moving suspect, at a distance of much less than 12 feet, and did not hit him once! And remember, the report indicates that this shooting happened at about 3:30 in the morning. Shooting at night with minimal lighting also decreases accuracy considerably; this I know from having experienced many "night shoots" on a departmental range. Assuming this officer was responding to the call with at least minimal information, and at night, he most likely had a flashlight in one hand. Even with street lighting, it would have been a less than ideal situation for "target acquisition". Factor in the flashlight in one hand, minimal overhead lighting, and the sudden lunging of the student; now how would you have responded if you had been that officer? On top of that, chances are that the univeristy police force may have a minimal ongoing training schedule/budget; I would guess that their officers go through some regional academy or maybe "piggyback" a larger agency's academy class with their few, new hired officers. I seriously doubt this first year officer ever envisioned this scenario on the campus and was simply overwhelmed by the circumstances.
+Quote Post
415PB
post Feb 9 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #28

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 996

Rgreen914, which department you from?
+Quote Post
robby750
post Feb 9 2004, 05:50 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 521
Region Association: South East States

I can't vote on this because I don't have all the facts. The only people that can give a fair opinion are members of a jury. I have been a cop for 25 years and have learned that there are 2 sides to every story and the facts are somewhere in between. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Rgreen914
post Feb 9 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #30

415PB

I retired from the California Department of Corrections, Parole Division; last 14 years spent as a field Parole Agent, before that, six years spent behind "walls", very high, armed-coverage walls!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 9 2004, 05:56 PM
Post #31

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(fiid @ Feb 9 2004, 03:28 PM)

huh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
415PB
post Feb 9 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #32

So you were the one relocating those damn parolees to Desert Hot Springs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) PM on the way.....
+Quote Post
PatW
post Feb 9 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #33

Wassup?

Member No.: 317

Why is it as of late, we expect more of the police than we do of our politicians.?

Ya sure. The event could have been avoided but, now we should throw him in Jail for doing his Job?. I'm sure the officer feels bad enough already. I never would want to be a cop. Make one bad mistake and you are dead or your carrer is runied.

Pat
+Quote Post
Rgreen914
post Feb 9 2004, 06:04 PM
Post #34

415PB

Had to send them somewhere...I got into trouble 'cause I used to send too many to "the gray-bar hotel"!
+Quote Post
Rgreen914
post Feb 9 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #35

415PB

Actually, I think they go to the desert for their health...or maybe it's for their lab experiments...meth labs!
+Quote Post
415PB
post Feb 9 2004, 06:09 PM
Post #36

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Well we have too many out here as it is. Most of them end up goin back anyhow.

Rod
+Quote Post
415PB
post Feb 9 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(Rgreen914 @ Feb 9 2004, 04:08 PM)
415PB

Actually, I think they go to the desert for their health...or maybe it's for their lab experiments...meth labs!

Yep, Riverside County and San Bernardino County....Meth capitols of the world..
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 9 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 9 2004, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE(fiid @ Feb 9 2004, 03:28 PM)

huh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

You have a drunk guy running at you. The easiest way to hit him is to stand slightly aside and stick your foot out. Gravity takes care of the rest.

I'm not saying that's what the officer should have done, btw.
+Quote Post
need4speed
post Feb 9 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 564

QUOTE(PatW @ Feb 9 2004, 04:01 PM)
Why is it as of late, we expect more of the police than we do of our politicians.?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

We let our politicians get away with FAR too much. (Clinton's bj aside). Lately, I've felt we need a 4th branch of government JUST to handle the independent investigations.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Feb 9 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #40

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

From the facts as presented:

It was dark and the officer was responding to a call where the home owner stated someone was breaking in. The kid lunged at the officer after being told to freeze.

Sorry, natural selection at it's finest. The officer had no time to react to determine the kid was drunk or even a kid at the time or a student. All he would have had time to determine was that someone was breaking the law by the attempted break-in and he used deadly force to stop that person attacking himself.

They might win the lawsuit.

Life isn't TV or a cartoon. If someone points a gun at you, expect that they might use it.

Several years ago I went to a gun range with a buddy that had bought a .357 magnum (ala Dirty Harry). He loaded it and placed it on the counter. Ran a standard 9.5" X 11" target out 15' on the wire. Then told me to pick the gun up and shoot all 6 as fast as I can. I hit the wire and the very edge of the paper. The rest of the shots went into the buts and a ceiling light. I can hit a running target at 400+ yds, but for close range I prefer 12 gage semiauto with SSG's

BTW on last nights LA news they busted a meth lab in Beverly Hills.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 05:03 PM