Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hey Raby....
dbgriffith75
post Nov 3 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #1

TheGrif

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I was just reading through this recent post....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=89572

...and I have some questions for you on the advice you gave 73-914kid... and I'm wondering where you were when I was reubuilding the engine in my teener (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I haven't seen a "perfect" stock cam come from a TIV engine in the past 15 years.. Post pics of it and DO NOT RE-USE IT! the cam is the second part installed into the engine and the most critical wear item of a TIV engine. If the cam goes south it's the second to last part you'll remove and replace and a full tear down is required. re-using a cam is like a very nasty game of Russian Roulette.

Question: What's the harm in re-using a cam if it's within specs? And I'm sure you're now going to sodomize me for this, but no one told me otherwise at the time; but when I rebuilt the engine for my teener I did re-use the cam. Now, I didn't just slap it together. After it was out I measured it, checked the tolerances and even had my shop guys take a look at it for me. They weren't Type IV experts by any means but they had some experience with them and told me the cam was in good shape to be used. PLUS- the engine had been rebuilt just prior to the PO parking the car for 10 years before I'd gotten ahold of it. The PO told me that he only put about 1000 miles on the engine before he parked it. So given that the cam was relatively new before being parked, what problems could I be looking at?

If you do the job correctly there isn't a lot of parts that you'll be able to reuse...

Like what? Please tell me pushrods, lifters, connecting rods, pistons, cylinders, wrist pins, valves, valve guides, rocker arms & shafts, pushrod tube retainer springs, oil pump, oil sump, oil pressure relief valve, oil cooler, and... well, okay, that's pretty much all I can think of.

I'm sure that's not the complete list, but those are all parts I re-used when rebuilding my engine. Again, I didn't just clean them up and slap it all together and hope for the best. I checked tolerances and condition on all of it and it all appeared to be in good shape.

The obvious such as bearings and gaskets and the like were replaced; and I know I replaced anything that I wasn't confident in re-using; but again I ask you what's the harm in re-using the parts if they're within acceptable specifications and condition?

Then again maybe these parts are kind of an exception to your rules given the fact that they only had 1000 miles on them before being parked for 10 years before I got a hold of them.

I'm just trying to make sure I didn't build a dud here... and if you tell me I did, I'm going to be very upset... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But seriously, I'm not trying to blame you or anybody else here on the 'World for not warning me about these things. It was my own fault for not asking.

So what's your verdict Mr. Raby? Did I rebuild this engine for nothing? Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 09:53 AM