Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru conversion
Chris914n6
post Mar 27 2003, 03:08 PM
Post #1

Jackstands are my life.

Group: Members
Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Been thinking the Subaru WRX engines would be a perfect conversion powerplant. I did some research (mostly after the Nissan 6 conversion) and can put together a complete package for just under $4,000.
Cost includes a JDM 230hp engine, pre-programed ECU and harness, Kennedy adaptor, radiator w/ fans & shrouding, K&N, and engine mount. Muffler, cat and water guage not included.
The ECU can be tuned upto 300hp safely for non-smog cars.
Weight would be about 50 lbs more than stock.
You can keep some trunk space.
Uses stock drivetrain.
Should require no sheet metal cutting but I haven't built one yet.
I can say 220hp makes for a FUN 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

Interested??

Chris
914n6
http://nissan6.914resources.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Mar 27 2003, 04:27 PM
Post #2

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 27 2003, 01:08 PM)
Interested??

Building one. Except I'm using the twin turbo version of the WRX motor they put in their Liberty sedan. I have the engine, programmable controller, and Kennedy adapter kit. $4k is a decent estimate to get the engine in the car but you would be wise to add another $2k for a 5-lug conversion and wheels. That's just my opinion until I get the car actually driving.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 27 2003, 07:29 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

No sheet metal cutting?

Location of radiator?

I'm sure you'd get a few interested people, but getting an interested party that actually has the money and the skill to do the swap is going to be tough.

Of course you'll have to build one yourself to prove it unless you find a willing person to help finance the project.

When it comes to conversions of any type, I don't think one needs to add a 5-lug suspension and wheels to the equation....these items are not always necessities, mostly they are just items that one "wants"
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Mar 28 2003, 12:16 AM
Post #4

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think that combo would be great, especially the twin turbo for the hP. I've often wished I had my Subaru Outback Sport 2.0 in the 914. It scoots pretty darned good. You got a good idea going there me thinks.
bruce
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Mar 28 2003, 12:24 AM
Post #5

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 27 2003, 05:29 PM)
When it comes to conversions of any type, I don't think one needs to add a 5-lug suspension and wheels to the equation....these items are not always necessities, mostly they are just items that one "wants"

I guess what I was trying to imply was that having 300+ HP with stock 914 brakes and skinny tires would not be the wisest setup to have. I'm doing the 5 lug conversion as a minimum.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Mar 28 2003, 02:14 AM
Post #6

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 27 2003, 05:29 PM)
No sheet metal cutting?

Location of radiator?

Oops, I had my mind in the engine bay, both my -6 and Chevys require cutting/clearancing.
Radiator would be the stealth setup I'm currently using, so ya, a few holes there.

I ran a stock 2.0FI for years with 205s, BMW front calipers and a T, the weight should only be 50lbs more so I don't see a major issue there, just use good pads.

Jon- even the 225s on the -6 don't get good traction with 220tq in second... which is first lol
Please keep us up to date on the install and you're welcome to pick my brain.

I was thinking of putting the motor in the San Jose chassis (Hi Jeff) and hitting NASA track events, but that is a ways off... unless it decides to pay for itself.

Chris
+Quote Post
914Timo
post Mar 28 2003, 03:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 137
Region Association: Europe

Chris, very nice conversion. I like it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

I noticed you have moved the transmission forward. Any problems with that ??

Those Boxter wheels look good too !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
breakerbox
post Apr 9 2003, 04:11 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 552

914 subaru conversion
this guy did a conversion. Is there a better way of putting the raiator without cutting or minimal cutting of sheetmetal? and how does it effect the aerodynamics of the car with the radiator on the nose, where does the air go? It seems like it would make the front of the car ligter since the air gets stuck in the trunk may be have a slope on the hood like the ford gt40? so the air enters the the front and escapes from the top of the front hood, that might give some downforce too, what do you guys think?
kinda like this:
(IMG:http://www.elpasotimes.com/03CarPreview/images/GT40.jpg)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:40 AM