Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Got an original radio?, Please post info
Tom_T
post Jan 20 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #41

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(smg914 @ May 18 2009, 10:27 AM) *

The COA from the same car.

Thanx Steve,

IRRC the dealers also carried a "radio ready kit" with the same items from Porsche (VW-Porsche?), that they could install at the dealership for a customer. I've also seen the antennas installed on both L & R fenders.

So how can you tell whether it was a "kit" done at the dealer, or the factory prepped option? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

... & plz don't tell me the COA, because they're useless, as you can see from my experience below! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Also - it's interesting on this COA, that they have #11 as "Black", which I've seen on several other COAs online, as well as at the actual Porsche+Audi (USA) dealer booklet pages posted online for interior color & material options for 72 & 74 914s which called it #11 Black (& #31 Beige on the latter).

Last year PCNA sent me 2 COA's erroneously calling the #31 as "Black", while mine is clearly "Beige", then the manager got nasty & told me I was wrong! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
... her boss took it over & I'm supposedly getting a corrected one soon.....we'll see! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 20 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #42

TMI....

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 16 2009, 03:10 AM) *

Here's what I believe was the original dealer installed AM/FM Radio & 8-Track Mono/Stereo unit that was in my `73 2L when I bought it in Dec. `75 (sold new & 1st registered 11/9/72 & built 9/72).

It appears to be a VW brand by the stamp on top, & since there is no other Motorola, Blaupunkt, etc. brand id. on it.

If anyone else knows more about this unit - I'd appreciate any details, manufacturer, etc., etc.

It will go back in the car when I'm done with the body/paint & mechanical work.

RADIO FACE - 8-TRACK DOOR CLOSED:

4 Amber Lights in Center indicated which Track 1-4 & 1 @ Right on/off for which side A-B - 2 x 4 = 8 Tracks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

...more pix continued on next post....

I found out from an old time radio guy in PA, that this was made by Motorola for VOA (VW of America) & was model #VW4412 but not mfgd. until early 1974, so this could've been a late install/add or an 2nd radio replacement by the PO/OO before I got the car in 12/75. So it is both period correct & correct for my 914, & will be going back in after my 914's resto & a little tune-up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

In either case, it was made for the 914's & VW's of that period & came with 2 faceplates - this one for 914s & another for VWs. They were sold at Porsche+Audi & VW dealerships for installation with either the factory radio ready option or dealer "kit" noted above.

(not sure why the radio pic isn't showing on my screen, the the attachment shows on the "edit" screen, maybe just my screwy computer - FYI original post with the pic is on pg. 2 of this topic thread, if you can't see it above.)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 20 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #43

TMI....

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 20 2010, 12:27 PM) *

So I appear to have a Blaupunkt Frankfurt US *Mono* (?) AM/FM but am in need of a know or adjuster ...Any resources for these parts or perhaps a known good reference for repair?

Is that a "knob or adjuster" (vs. "know" at your post above)?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If so, I occasionally see them as misc. parts in the classifieds here, TheSamba (both under Porsche & VW, since the 70-76 dash knob styles were the same on VW's & 914s then), etc. - as well as on evil-bay.

I found the old time radio guy in Pennsylvania from his ad on Samba, which I mentioned above, & he may have parts too. He reccommended finding a local radio shop familiar with older auto radios, but he may also work on them + shipping 2 ways. Here's his link:

http://www.elliottsradio.com/cubecart/

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 20 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #44

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 4 2008, 04:14 PM) *

My 1970 914-6 (#673) came from the factory with a Blaupunkt Frankfurt (USA)

T.C.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jan 20 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Was lucky enough to find a NOS radio installion kit on Ebay this past Summer. If you need any litterature scanned let me know.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 20 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #46

TMI....

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 20 2010, 06:56 PM) *

Was lucky enough to find a NOS radio installion kit on Ebay this past Summer. If you need any litterature scanned let me know.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
ooooooooh!! ... I wondered who got that one!

... but no antenna??

It should look like mine below with the narrow clip on a swivel to fit in the underside of the narrow radius of the 914 front fender (vs. wider 911/912 fenders, which had a wider clip IIRC), and the asymmetrical chrome trim dome over the top cap of the antenna base ...

Attached Image
Attached Image

BTW folks, to mount it properly, the chrome trim dome is made to adjust the antenna to sit vertically by having the deeper end of the asymmetrical bottom to the outside of the fender (i.e.: long part down & out to outer side of fender).

I've seen people mount them with that dome giving the antenna a rake rearward, which is not only incorrect for the 914s, but also risks having the lower receptacle below the fender into which the antenna retracts, get caught on your tires as you steer & break off &/or damage your fender sheetmetal!!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 28 2010, 03:48 AM
Post #47

TMI....

Here's a great source of sample pix of vintage auto radios for VWs & Porsches, etc.

http://www.oldtimerradio.com/auto.html
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jan 28 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #48

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

My '72 came with no radio & black plastic "blanks" behind the speaker grills.

Mail ordered a Frankfurt and correct speakers a month after taking delivery from a place in Virginia (name escapes me).

And, as most know, I've never drilled the fender for an antenna.
Pat
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 28 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #49

TMI....

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 28 2010, 07:47 PM) *

My '72 came with no radio & black plastic "blanks" behind the speaker grills.

Mail ordered a Frankfurt and correct speakers a month after taking delivery from a place in Virginia (name escapes me).

And, as most know, I've never drilled the fender for an antenna.
Pat

Pat, I think they have one like yours pictured on the link I posted above, but it may list it for another VW or Porsche, etc.

Was your windscreen antenna the thin wires embedded in the tape you applied on the windshield inner surface?

Hey - looks like good weather after all for the weekend out here, so I hope to get the rockers off & see if it's good or bad news under there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

By the way, the metal rivets on the top of my rockers look exactly like the ones holding the VWwerk VIN plate in the front trunk R Light-bucket & same size rivets too. I'm thinking mine on the rockers are still OE, & I'll know for sure when I pull those rockers (off this subject, but I'll post a metal rivet topic later when I know more).

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 03:10 AM