Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Work resuming on the Turbo... New pics
Mugs914
post Jan 1 2009, 04:37 AM
Post #1

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,452
Region Association: Southwest Region

A little over a year ago I opened Mulligan Racing Development, a race and repair shop here in Vista. As is the norm for this kind of thing, it's taken a lot of time and effort and it's been quite a learning experience. One thing I learned early on was that my Turbo race car project was going to be on hold for a while...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Well, things have come along fairly well, business-wise, and its time to get back to work on the Turbo.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

For those who don't remember, I've been working on a PCA GT-1r 914 for quite a while now. It has a 3.3l turbo and G50-52 'box from a '91 930 and is a semi-tube frame car. As it sits right now, with everything but the oil tank, plumbing, wiring, paint and a few other bits like diffusers and wings, it weighs 1540lbs. I'm hoping to finish up around 1750 lbs. We'll see about that...

The turbo is pretty thirsty and I needed to be able to finish a one-hour enduro without refueling. That meant a pretty big cell (22 gal.), and that meant a re-design of the front chassis. The first pic shows the front chassis tubes without the fuel cell mount. The front crossmember (911 aluminum) bolts to the bottom of the tube frame just ahead of the rack.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 1 2009, 04:41 AM
Post #2

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

There will be a tube that ties the front downtubes together...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 1 2009, 04:45 AM
Post #3

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

This is the basic fuel cell mount. It's bolted in to the chassis so that changes to tank height or size don't require major frame surgery, just a different mount.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 1 2009, 04:47 AM
Post #4

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

Here's the cell in place. For such a monster tank it actually sits pretty low in the car...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 1 2009, 04:49 AM
Post #5

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

'Nuther...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 1 2009, 04:51 AM
Post #6

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

One of the cockpit...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 1 2009, 04:53 AM
Post #7

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

Other side...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 1 2009, 04:54 AM
Post #8

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

And the expensive bits...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 1 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #9

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

$

I'll post more pics as it goes. Hopefully it'll go a little faster!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 3 2009, 01:11 AM
Post #10

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Wow, looking good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 4 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #11

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

good to see you are able to get back on the car and that the shop is working out!

is there an adapter plate for the inverted box? Or how does it bolt up? (AFAIK the G50s are like the earlier transaxles with an asymmetric bolt pattern top to bottom)

crazy how light you suspect it will be when it is done - that is seriously light for a -6 with a late turbo box!
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 4 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #12

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

Thanks!

You're right about the G-50s having the same bolt pattern as all of the previous Porsche boxes. VWs too. In fact we use a cut-off VW bellhousing as a drill pattern.

Instead of an adapter plate to flip the box, I plugged the engine case with threaded aluminum rod and re-drilled and tapped the case. It required a bit of welding on the lower right hole, but it helped keep the weight and overall length down. It's a pretty tight fit as it is!

The weight issue is going to be fun (or frustrating!) to watch. I've worked all along to keep the weight down as much as possible without compromising safety. All of the tubing sizes were chosen based on the loads they had to carry, so many of the chassis tubes are smaller OD and/or thinner wall than the major cage structure. The only original steel left on the car are the central tub, the bits in the front and rear that are required by the PCA rulebook and gutted doors (still with door bars). Like I said it's about 1540 right now with everything in place, but there are still a lot of fiddly bits to go yet. I'm hoping to come in under 1800 dry and I think it's doable, but you know better than most how those last few pounds seem to add up!
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 5 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #13

ahhh, dry weight. I tend to think full running weight which was my error. Makes a bit more sense if you consider many racing 6s run ~ 20qt oil systems (are you going to do this??) with all the line and cooler (5 gals of oil is ~ 35lbs) and say 15gal of fuel is ~90lbs to match other 6 racers I have seen, a gallon fluid in the G50 is 6.8lbs, etc and gets it up to ~1935 lbs which seems reasonable if it is 1800lbs dry.

Should be a cool car! What HP/tq you expecting and what boost level? I like how you mounted the turbo, I have been thinking about relocating my oil coolers and mounting one there in mine in fact!
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 5 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #14

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

Turbo the V-8? Yipes... Sounds like FUN! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

My original weight goal was <1900 running and I think I can still get there, or maybe a touch less if I get fanatical about it! I think that 20 quarts of oil is a bit much. My system is ~15qt. with lines, coolers etc.. The fuel cell can hold 22 gal. but will only be full at the beginning of a one hour enduro. Most often it will only have 12-15 gal.. There is still a bit more sheet metal that needs to be cut out in the fender areas and going to 'glass door skins will shave several pounds, but at this point I'm not quite ready to go URY on the thing!

As for the power, I'm using a '91 3.3 turbo that was rated by the factory at 320hp. at 5700 and 332lb/ft at 4500. According to the guy I got it from it had been modded by Andial into a warmed-up street driver, around 400hp. I've yet to confirm any of that, but the turbo was upgraded so it may be true. Initially I'm going to run it with the CIS, a bigger (than the upgrade) turbo and intercooler, a touch more boost, better exhaust etc., so it will be fairly mild but turn-key reliable. I figure 400-450 isn't beyond reason for a start. Should be a pretty good start in a 1900 lb car.

One thing I've designed for the car is a lot of aero downforce; Front splitter and diffuser, full tunnels under the rear, bi-level rear wing, etc. and I want to have a good reliable engine that I don't have to worry too much about while the chassis is being dialed in. Once the car is sorted I'll start working on making more power. I think with modern engine management and perhaps two turbos that a reliable 600+ hp isn't out of the question.

Hey, nice job on the new gearbox, BTW. That ought to be good enough for the turbo mod... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 5 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #15

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) yeah, that trans has big block written all over it.

I had 525HP at sea level there in CA when at met you... since moving to CO I have lost over 100 of those ponies, and I want them back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Boost is about the only way to fix things at altitude. I may just add a 100-shot nitrous plate as well since I really only want/need the extra power in the stretches that are maybe 1/4 mile long at best. Everywhere else I have more than enough power to overheat any corner. And I don't have to worry about dialing back boost and retuning if I travel to lower altitudes to race here and there. I can just change jets if I stay simple and not use the juice.

400-450HP in 1900lbs should be a rocket! I was 5lbs/HP and at 400HP you would have beaten that, 450HP puts you in the 4.2 lb/HP range which will be crazy, crazy fast. Sub 3-sec 0-60s if you can hook it up!
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jan 5 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Nice setup. Why didn't you put the fuel cell in the passenger floor board and just build a partition to keep the cell separate from the cockpit. This would keep fuel distribution better through out the race.
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 6 2009, 01:53 AM
Post #17

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

Yeah Brett, that was my first thought too, but for several reasons I decided I wanted room for a second seat. I instruct quite a bit and thought it would be nice to be able to carry a victim... er I mean student. Besides, it's nice to be able to give friends, family and potential clients a first hand look at what we do out there.

I think at some point I might move the cell to the passenger side. It really wouldn't be difficult. Sure woud be fun to see the eyebrows go up when you opened the passenger door and plugged in the dump can during a pit stop!
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jan 6 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

I was thinking a dry break right in the door. That would be even better. No sense in wasting time opening a door.

Wouldn't the look on your vic... errr passenger's face been even better when halfway around the track you tell them they are sitting on the fuel cell?

BTW are you driving the #22 ex-Baker car now? I see it in your avatar.
+Quote Post
Mugs914
post Jan 6 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #19

"Hey, yellow IS faster!"

QUOTE(Brett W @ Jan 6 2009, 06:46 AM) *

Wouldn't the look on your vic... errr passenger's face been even better when halfway around the track you tell them they are sitting on the fuel cell?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
The sudden realization of why his butt was up at window-level...

BTW are you driving the #22 ex-Baker car now? I see it in your avatar.

Yep, on occasion. It's owned by a good friend of mine and I've been working on it for a long time now. He's had some lean times business wise so it hasn't been run since the PCA Club Race last March, but things are looking up and we're hoping to have it at the Monterey Historics this year.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jan 7 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

That car has always been one of my favorite teeners. When you can get more pictures of it please share.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 02:06 PM