Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Are my distributor springs mis-matched?
Rav914
post Jan 3 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #1

All-weather fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,669
Region Association: None

I've been having a terrible time setting my timing. I put the light on it and saw it was all over the place and it goes full advance with the slightest throttle increase. So I decided to take it apart and see if the internals are gummed up. The can was good and holds a vacuum. Everything looked good; then I noticed the spring are different. Is that right? Seems to me it shouldn't be.

Dizzy is a '70 D-Jet. Bosch # 0 231 174 001, VW 022 905 205 F

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 3)
Cap'n Krusty
post Jan 3 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

What you show is correct. Be sure they're installed in the correct locations. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post Jan 3 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,925
Region Association: North East States

I noticed the same in a 1.7 distributor I took apart. Because of the elongated loop, the weights are essentially pushing against only one spring initially. This allows for a faster advance off idle. Once the second spring "bottoms out" in its loop, the rate of advance with increasing RPM decreases, because the centrifugal force now has to overcome two springs.

I put one such spring in my 2.0 to see if that earlier advance would help my throttle response off idle. If it did, it wasn't very dramatic.

Jim
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Jan 3 2009, 10:59 PM
Post #4

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669
Region Association: None

Thanks Cap'n and Jim. Great explanation of how they work. Makes sense. Also I think they were installed wrong (if it was reworked sometime in the past). If I put them on the way I took it off, the plate could spin to full advance and just barely come in contact with the elongated spring. When I swapped positions, the plate would begin to stretch the elongated spring halfway through its arc of travel.

Now I've cleaned off the plates, contact points, case, etc.

We'll see.......
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 03:42 PM