Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

32 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 24 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting a 1971 IMSA 914 Restoration, A privateer run 914 with Sebring and Daytona history
Jetsetsurfshop
post Sep 27 2014, 07:28 AM
Post #421

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

Hey John,
I had seen your build before. WOW. Keep posting the picks. I hope you don't mind me stealing some front oil cooler ideas! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Shane
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Sep 27 2014, 09:17 AM
Post #422

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414

I am fired up to get this thing done!

Last winter fell victim to 14 weeks of visitors... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

This winter there will be a ban on visitors until the car is done.

And maybe then some.

John
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Oct 28 2014, 08:23 PM
Post #423

From Wreck to Rockin

Been working on the rocker panels.

Pictures later, thought I had uploaded them...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 28 2014, 08:56 PM
Post #424

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Sep 27 2014, 11:17 AM) *

I am fired up to get this thing done!

Last winter fell victim to 14 weeks of visitors... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

This winter there will be a ban on visitors until the car is done.

And maybe then some.

John

You and me both! I need to get 914 Stuff Done!

I may do a Fuel Line Install Party at my Place - Bring the other half over for the day. We can get George's Wife, I'll talk Janie Gaglione into coming as one of the sets of Fuel Lines is for his LE, so it can me more than a Guy Thing (we might eat better too!) Snakeman just moved to Tampa. With no TR, at least lets get together
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jan 12 2015, 10:02 PM
Post #425

From Wreck to Rockin

TC: I would like to come over some time for a build party, I think I missed the last one you had by not checking the world often enough.

I am trying to decide how to plumb the oil system and have two alternatives I would like people to comment on. The first one is similar to how the car was plumbed when I got it. Oil comes from the engine through the heater tube in the driver side long, out by the driver's left foot and into the little reinforcing box section and then into the front trunk. I don't like the idea of the hot oil being right under the driver's left foot. It also means the oil filter has to be plumbed after the thermostat and cooler due to tight confines on the driver's side. Oil returns to the engine from the bottom of the oil tank through a -16 line running through the passenger long.

Here is how it is plumbed now:

Attached Image

An alternate approach would be to put both the sending and return oil lines in the passenger side heater tube. The -12 and -16 lines will just fit I am pretty sure. I was able to stuff both in there about half way without really trying too hard. Worst case I take the heater tube out to make more room? The advantage here is that the hot oil line is on the other side of the car from the driver. It also allows the oil filter to be added before the thermostat and oil cooler instead of after (if that matters).

Here is how this would work:

Attached Image

There are also three -12 AN fittings on the top of the oil tank. One for input of oil from the cooler, one to an overflow tank with a breather, and not sure what the third fitting would be used for?

I still need to find a console for an oil filter that takes -12 AN fittings. The ones I have found from Summit Racing, etc. seem really expensive for a simple console. Any ideas there on what part to use?

Any comments would be appreciated. I have some photos of what this looks like using the first approach I will post tomorrow.

Thanks,

John

+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 13 2015, 05:55 AM
Post #426

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 12 2015, 11:02 PM) *

TC: I would like to come over some time for a build party, I think I missed the last one you had by not checking the world often enough.

So did just about everybody else! 3 of us just sat around and drank Beer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Maybe in Feb or March - I need to put the engine & tranny in the racecar
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Jan 13 2015, 09:24 AM
Post #427

Member No.: 6,985
Region Association: None

I like your alternate layout better. Both to keep oil lines away from you the driver, and also because it filters the oil before going to the cooler. If you ever blow a motor, you don't want to pollute the cooler - even after cleaning a polluted cooler, you can never be 100% sure it's totally clean. Note that if you make this change in layout, you might want to do a cleaning on your cooler just for the heck of it, since it will now be after your filter, so anything that might be in there now will dump into your tank (and your engine unless you have a second filter in the system). For 911 motors, I like to put a second filter on the engine in place of the stock oil cooler, but I think you might be using a 4, so perhaps not relevant in your case.

The third fitting you mention - is it on top of the tank? If so, it could be for a vent hose from the engine. It's good to put that vent to the tank instead of the catch can, otherwise you'll be emptying your catch can all the time.

Scott
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Jan 13 2015, 09:25 AM
Post #428

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

I just read all of this build thread. You have the skills of a madman to take on this project!! Such dedication to detail and getting it right. Please pat yourself on the back for all your efforts that you have completed on this project. I know you talked about your seat if you have not bought one yet please look at this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8r5ZyHvGw It might not “look” vintage but a halo seat is worth the price. I have one now installed in my vintage race car. Keep going I know you have the internal struggle to not fix something as that’s the way it was “built” and you need to leave it as is. Keep pushing forward on this fabulous project. It certainly a labor of love.
Mark
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jan 13 2015, 11:02 AM
Post #429

QUOTE(MJHanna @ Jan 13 2015, 07:25 AM) *

I just read all of this build thread. You have the skills of a madman to take on this project!! Such dedication to detail and getting it right. Please pat yourself on the back for all your efforts that you have completed on this project. I know you talked about your seat if you have not bought one yet please look at this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8r5ZyHvGw It might not “look” vintage but a halo seat is worth the price. I have one now installed in my vintage race car. Keep going I know you have the internal struggle to not fix something as that’s the way it was “built” and you need to leave it as is. Keep pushing forward on this fabulous project. It certainly a labor of love.
Mark
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I know a lot of us have been dead on the track before. Watched plenty of "crash videos" That video was really tough to watch.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Jan 13 2015, 04:03 PM
Post #430

Gotta be hard to watch a car coming at you like that and know you can't do a damned thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jan 13 2015, 06:07 PM
Post #431

From Wreck to Rockin

Thanks for all the positive comments!

I bought a HANS plus a Kirkey seat with much larger shoulder level bolsters and hip bolsters than that poor 911 driver was using. I think you would still be banged up but maybe not move around as much in the impact. I initially looked at a more vintage looking seat but I think most people in vintage racing are going for safety first, as I think they should.

John
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jan 13 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #432

From Wreck to Rockin

Here are some pictures of the current set up (the first diagram). Note that I do not have an oil filter or overflow/breather tank yet and am hoping someone will suggest some appropriate parts that would work.

The oil comes from the engine through the driver long and into the boxed section by the driver's left foot. I would close up most of the hole in the long, and make a cover to enclose the oil line, but I still don't like this setup.

Attached Image

This is an overview of the front trunk with the oil tank, fuel cell and oil cooler shroud.

Attached Image

View with the fuel cell removed.

Attached Image

Removing the service cover in the cooler shroud I made out of sheet metal. It has nuts welded on the backs so it can be bolted together and I powder coated it once it all fit right.

Attached Image

Oil line coming from the engine is the lower one, then the thermostat, then you can see the new Setrab oil cooler, and the return line to the oil tank.

Attached Image

Return line has a bulkhead fitting and a 90 elbow because the -12 line is not flexible enough to make a 90 degree turn in the space available.
Attached Image

Two unused oil tank fittings on top. One will go to the breather/overflow tank, and I like the suggestion that the other can go the engine as a breather. Where does this connect on a /6 engine? You can also see the oil input line on the side of the tank.

Attached Image

Oil return line to the engine is a -16 AN and comes from the bottom of the tank and goes into the passenger long. Again, I will close up most of the hole in the long and enclose the bottom of the tank and the return line with some panels.

Attached Image

My thought at this point is to switch to the alternative diagram setup. I will see if both lines fit through the long without squeezing them, it will be close.

I still need to pick an oil filter console and a breather/overflow tank.

I like the idea of having more than one filter, maybe an Oberg filter for the line going to the engine?

Any suggestions appreciated!

John

+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jan 14 2015, 12:57 AM
Post #433

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Have you checked the online catalogue at
Pegasus Racing ?
I've been sourcing lots of parts from there.
Marty
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jan 14 2015, 07:24 AM
Post #434

Hey John,
I was able to get 2 -12 lines in the passenger heater tube. I'm also not a fan of that oil line next to the drivers feet. I have my first event coming up next weekend. I plan on running my car hard to look for potential problems. But those lines look pretty safe in there.
I bought most of my oil cooler parts from BAT (out of Tampa). They had all kinds of thing there. Maybe they'll have a fix for your oil filter mount.
Car looks insane. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Hope your getting a lot done up there. Can't wait to see it on the track. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Shane
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Jan 14 2015, 06:00 PM
Post #435

Member No.: 1,179

John,

Glad to see you are back at it!
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jan 15 2015, 11:31 AM
Post #436

From Wreck to Rockin

No one thought it was funny that I was wearing lederhosen while working on my car?

Geez, in the old days of 2007 when I joined this crazy group, people would psychoanalyze all the little details in the background of any picture people posted... I expected some choice remarks.

Either people are getting way more polite than 914 owners should be or you all expect weird behavior from me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

John
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Jan 15 2015, 11:33 AM
Post #437

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 13 2015, 09:34 PM) *

Note that I do not have an oil filter or overflow/breather tank yet and am hoping someone will suggest some appropriate parts that would work.

I like Canton and Oberg filters. There are others like Peterson too that are good. Make sure to pick one that flows well, and be careful of lower flowing ones that have bypasses like stock filters do, which can allow unfiltered oil past.

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 13 2015, 09:34 PM) *

I like the idea of having more than one filter, maybe an Oberg filter for the line going to the engine?

Don't put a filter in the feed line from the tank to the engine. That is a suction line, not a pressure line. A filter there will at least restrict flow and possibly starve the engine for oil. If you want a second filter, a common place to put one is in place of the stock oil cooler that the older air cooled 911s have. The factory used to put filters there on its race engines using a special filter console. Those are super rare, but I believe it was the 993 that had something similar as stock. I have heard that those bolt onto the older 911 motors and can be a good option. You can put a Canton or other quality spin-on replacement filter instead of the disposable filter. For my 914 I built a custom one before I knew about the 993 option.

+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jan 15 2015, 03:03 PM
Post #438

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 15 2015, 09:31 AM) *

No one thought it was funny that I was wearing lederhosen while working on my car?

Geez, in the old days of 2007 when I joined this crazy group, people would psychoanalyze all the little details in the background of any picture people posted... I expected some choice remarks.

Either people are getting way more polite than 914 owners should be or you all expect weird behavior from me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

John

The Birkenstocks where what I had a problem with. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jan 15 2015, 03:18 PM
Post #439

From Wreck to Rockin

That is more like it....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Jan 15 2015, 10:04 PM
Post #440

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 15 2015, 01:18 PM) *

That is more like it....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Well at least you werent wearing Crocs. Friends don't let friends wear Crocs.
+Quote Post

32 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 05:26 PM