Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 9:14 Breakfast, To start the WCC event
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 20 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

So here is what I have so far for the 9:14 Breakfast:

Friday June 4, 9:14 am.

This gathering starts off our 914 WCC 2004. It will be the proimary time when we have the attention of everyone and can speak to teh group. The only opther time will be at the Farewell BBQ.

I am expecting ~50 914s and ~70 people.

Location: I have contacted several possible venues and intend to make a final selection by late next week. It could be a conference center or a country club, but I hope to make it the upscale moment of the event. The location will likely be in the South San Jose area.

Food: Breakfast buffet - Eggs, waffles fruit, coffee, rolls, juices etc.

Activities: Welcoming talk, introduction of key people, overview of the events schedule activities. Hand out goodie bags.

Review the Twisty Road Tour map and introduce chaperone teams. I am guessing we will need 3 maybe 4 teams of 2 person drivers knowlegeable of the tour route and Monterey. Still looking for people with their hands up for this role. Coordinate the group photo placements, so that everyone knows their role and timing.

Is this a good time to do the tech quiz? I am not sure where/when it would be a good time to do it otherwise....minds would be clear and fresh at this point too.

Then depart in smaller groups of 12-15 cars for Monterey. A box lunch will be included in the goodie bags, but dinner is on their own.

With a 9:14 start time and all that needs to be done, I bet we dont leave for Monterey until ~11am or later.

Comments?

I will edit this first post as it develops to include all plans for the 9:14 breakfast. Please be sure to check all the first posts for threads I have started from time to time for updates, because I do edit them to keep them current.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Feb 20 2004, 08:35 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Maybe we can arrange for a similar location at the end of the tour (hotel / motel)
Some place where we can leasurely hang out, swap tour and other stories and maybe welcome late friday arrivals
Have the tech quiz there
People can hang around for drinks and have dinner there on their own (none organised) if they choose so
That would be the best option to keep the group somewhat together after the first day's event and have the best chances for having a group dinner

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Feb 20 2004, 08:51 PM
Post #3

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

Do we have any information yet on hotels? Is there a team working on this? Is San Jose the location of choice? I was hoping for something a little bit scenic. Are hotels closer to the coast a lot more expensive?

Even though the events are spread out at a variety of locations, I think it would be more fun if we could find a 'headquarters hotel' or small town to take over with 914's.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 20 2004, 09:18 PM
Post #4

914 Wiring Harnesses

Do we have any information yet on hotels?

I have some info, but its not complete yet. I hope to have it finalized within the next week.

Is there a team working on this? Is San Jose the location of choice? I was hoping for something a little bit scenic.

The team is me. San Jose was chosen by me for several logistical reasons. The events are venues are Monterey, Candlestick and Hayward. 3 locations spread out in the lower half of the Bay Area. While I considered several main locations, SJ seemed to fit all needs of the event the best. Be patient though, I have some great locations - scenic locations - under consideration for the breakfast. I hope to get a main hotel for those that will be travelling from out-of town, or at least get a couple different hotels near to each other for people with different needs. I wont be able to please everyone, but I will do my best to make it a great event for everyone.

Are hotels closer to the coast a lot more expensive?

Yes.

Thanks for the input Vegas...what your name?
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Feb 20 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #5

ELVIRA

QUOTE(bowlsby @ Feb 20 2004, 07:18 PM)
Thanks for the input Vegas...what your name?

John Peterson is what it says on my drivers license. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Thanks X 1000 for all your efforts to make this thing happen.
I have not volunteered for any particular assignment yet.
Please feel free to ask if there is a specific job I can do from here.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 20 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #6

914 Wiring Harnesses

Hi John nice to meet you...I'lll keep you in mind. Keep thinking and fire those great ideas at us... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 21 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Feb 20 2004, 06:35 PM)
Maybe we can arrange for a similar location at the end of the tour (hotel / motel)
Some place where we can leasurely hang out, swap tour and other stories and maybe welcome late friday arrivals
Have the tech quiz there
People can hang around for drinks and have dinner there on their own (none organised) if they choose so
That would be the best option to keep the group somewhat together after the first day's event and have the best chances for having a group dinner

cheers,

Jeroen

I second Jeroen's suggestion for a ending location for a Friday night gathering. Maybe a hotel bar, a restraunt with a corner large enough for a gathering. Nothing too formal except we will need to bear in mind it will be friday night and people will be out on the town. we may have to call ahead as we approch the end of the tour for space.
+Quote Post
Carl
post Feb 23 2004, 01:47 AM
Post #8

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163
Region Association: Northern California

Hi Jeff,
Sorry to be a little slow to check in here but I'll add a couple of comments -
During the Tour 2000 (John will remember this) we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Monterey. It wasn't too expensive as I recall. The rooms were plain but clean.

The tour group also spent half the day at the Monterey Aquarium. I don't know if that's on your agenda but it could be if you want to spend some time there.

The following night we stayed at the Vagabond Motel at the SF Airport. It wasn't scenic, the rooms were fair, it was noisy but restaurants were close and so is the airport (that's good and bad ...). It would be close to Candlestick. There probably are other motels around San Mateo.

As for a place to meet in the evening - my sister and I own a shopping center in Los Gatos. A nice restaurant is located there (Viva Primavera) with entrees in the $15 - $20 range. They have a room on the side but I'm not sure it will hold 70 but can find out if you think it will work.

The restaurant is not regularly open for breakfast but I can see if special arrangements can be made if you want. Again, I'll ask if you think the general location works into the plans. This restaurant is a bit more upscale than where our 914 group typically meets.

Regarding the drives, on the Tour 2000 the entire group was broken up into "pods" of 3 to 4 cars. Each pod had its own set of maps and no local talent to help them out. Enough time was allowed for each pod to find its way to the destination. Each pod stayed together and sometimes 2 or 3 pods joined and drove together. This method worked out very well. It worked out much better, especially in traffic, than having fewer groups with more cars in them.

Carl
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Feb 23 2004, 04:35 AM
Post #9

ELVIRA

Hello Compodre Carl,

The hotels we stayed at in Monterey and S.F. were OK. Having a variety of eating choices near by was a good thing. I liked the one we stayed at the very first night of the tour the best. Hot tubing by the ocean. The place we stayed the final night was also very nice.

Traveling in smaller groups is the best way to get from point A to point B. Even with small groups, other motorist seemed eager to cut in to a line of 914's traveling in close formation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)

Could we set up the Friday tour as a F.A.Q. Rally or Poker Run? People could work together in small teams. Make the directions/clues very simple so nobody gets lost. Having several known check-points along the route would allow those who wanted to detour for personal sight-seeing the option of re-joining the tour. This format would also allow myself and anybody else who would be towing their cars the opportunity to have our own group that could leap-frog ahead to some of the pre-planned photo stops without having to try and keep up in the twisty parts.

Someone mentioned radios/walkie-talkies before. These work great for communication within a small group.

Having a final destination restaurant/photo spot sounds like a fantastic idea. This could also serve as a check-in point for those who have to work or can not make it to the breakfast.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 23 2004, 09:41 AM
Post #10

914 Wiring Harnesses

Hi Carl!

Please inquire about the availability and capacity of Viva Primavera. I am looking for an upscale place to hold the breakfast and if it would work to do it at VP all the better. We would just need to provide breakfast for the group. I imagine we would need the room from 8am to noon June 4.

I plan to make the final decision this week on the location, I am very close. I am also considering 2 golf club banquet facilities in the Coyote Valley. Both of those and VP would be good places to begin our Monterey trip.

Please let me know as soon as you can if VP would work, I would just as soon hold the breakfast at some place that benefits a club member...

We will definitely use the pod idea as well, for the very reasons you mentioned. A few weeks before the event I will get all teh local drivers (chaperones together and review/drive the the tour so there are non problems. I am hoping to put more than 3-4 cars in a pod...depending on the number of local drivers willing to help.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 23 2004, 09:42 AM
Post #11

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

What about the DoubleTree in Monterey? It's a nice hotel.
+Quote Post
Carl
post Feb 23 2004, 11:17 AM
Post #12

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163
Region Association: Northern California

Hi Jeff/John/Sean,

I'll check on June 4 for the restaurant.

I haven't read all of the threads closely but it seemed that the event was moving to the end of July. Obviously, that's not the case now. Is the decision final?

The pods worked well and FRS radios are a must. CB's are good, too as their range is better than FRS in the hills.

The plan is for a Friday drive to Monterey? Depending on what Keith has planned, Los Gatos isn't too bad a place to start since we can go up 17 to Summit, down to Corralitos to Watsonville to 101 to Monterey.

The Doubletree in Monterey is a nice hotel and close to the marina and the warf. I have no problem with that but my experience is, in general, 914 owners will opt for cheaper. Do we have any feedback from the members on budget constraints?

Carl
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 23 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #13

914 Wiring Harnesses

Hi Carl, Pay special attention to my first post of each topic...I edit it to keep it current...the reat are discussions only.

Jun 4-6 are the final dates.

We will not be staying the night in Monterey as discussed at one time. Keith Sammons is workign out the day trip stops to Monterey. We need to select group photo locations and finalize the route, but we are close.

There is no specific budget constraint...but cheaper is generally better and I am trying hard to keep it as reasonable as possible. Check the thread on Event Cost for details...there are still a few numbers to dial in, but we are including the AX in the registration fee.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 10:25 PM