Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> my 1st 914 purchase 2nd thread, Found another 914 but it's engine is blow and it's stored outs
sam quartermain
post Feb 5 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #1

The desire for glory is not a sin, TY COBB

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,011
Region Association: None

Found another 914 but it's engine is blow and it's stored outside

I went to check it out and it's body is straight , has major cob web in rear fenders.

is stored outside . Seller says engine is " Blow " that car has either a broken rod or engine is otherwise seized up . car will need to be towed away.

paint is not good .

interior is striped pretty bare , has 2 seats though

seller claims that all the car needs is engine , and that it will be ready to drive .

How much should i expect to spend on a stock 2-0 engine for this veh. approx of course . here is the add below w/ pict's

seller want s. 2k , i'm thinking about offering 1600 ???

'74'73-porsche 914 - $2000 (SFV)

Date: 2009-02-02, 9:52PM PST

PORSCHE 914
$2500 spent on trans and new clutch, one week later engine blows(2.0 w/webers)
lowered , empis, straight you can call me ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 5 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

What are you looking for? This looks like a project - and with 914s they are always bigger projects than they originally appear to be. The old adage - get the best you can afford definitely stands true here.
+Quote Post
sam quartermain
post Feb 5 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 5 2009, 11:41 AM) *

What are you looking for? This looks like a project - and with 914s they are always bigger projects than they originally appear to be. The old adage - get the best you can afford definitely stands true here.

Yeh it does look like a project - i'm looking for a solid driver that all right now.

The seller claims it's good to drive all it needs is the motor done. How much of a cost is that if that really is all it needs .

Also , seller said car has been sitting for 8 months , can you translate that for me .?
+Quote Post
orange914
post Feb 5 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #4

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 5 2009, 11:41 AM) *

the "blows" blown(?) motor right there thows the value away.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 5 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #5

there are all sorts of price points for motors, but they aren't all created equally. If you find a nice 2.0 from someone building a six you can get a decent price, or you can tear apart the motor you have and rebuild it unless it threw a rod through the case. There are guys here - lots of 'em that can build you anything from a mild street motor to monster motor. Your budget could be anything from 600-10k for a motor, depending on your wants and desires.

Without looking at that car in person, I'd say it needs to be disassembled and totally redone, anything else, well who knows. Also, you've got to take what the owner says with a grain of salt. There WILL be other work that needs done other than just popping a motor in. Oh, popping a motor in is really easy by the way. These cars are nice and easy that way.

I don't know your budget, but you might want to talk to Boxster, he always has some nice cars for sale. And, there are others here who have or know of cars, and buying from a member here, especially an active member is a sort of insurance. We all have our reputations to uphold and selling junk doesn't happen with our members - unless the other guy wants his junk - and there are a lot of us here who want others junk, it's true (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Anyway, save yourself time, money and heartbreak - buy a nice car! Don't worry, there will still be stuff you have/get to do to it, too.
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Feb 5 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #6

Dr

Member No.: 4,832

have you looked at this one? no affiliation, but might fit your bill
+Quote Post
sam quartermain
post Feb 5 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 5 2009, 11:54 AM) *

there are all sorts of price points for motors, but they aren't all created equally. If you find a nice 2.0 from someone building a six you can get a decent price, or you can tear apart the motor you have and rebuild it unless it threw a rod through the case. There are guys here - lots of 'em that can build you anything from a mild street motor to monster motor. Your budget could be anything from 600-10k for a motor, depending on your wants and desires.

Without looking at that car in person, I'd say it needs to be disassembled and totally redone, anything else, well who knows. Also, you've got to take what the owner says with a grain of salt. There WILL be other work that needs done other than just popping a motor in. Oh, popping a motor in is really easy by the way. These cars are nice and easy that way.

I don't know your budget, but you might want to talk to Boxster, he always has some nice cars for sale. And, there are others here who have or know of cars, and buying from a member here, especially an active member is a sort of insurance. We all have our reputations to uphold and selling junk doesn't happen with our members - unless the other guy wants his junk - and there are a lot of us here who want others junk, it's true (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Anyway, save yourself time, money and heartbreak - buy a nice car! Don't worry, there will still be stuff you have/get to do to it, too.

How do I find boxer . and my budget at the moment is like 4-5 k. approx

I would like something i can drive , and i'm not really seeing that in the 914 classifieds ? At the moment .
+Quote Post
sam quartermain
post Feb 5 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(George H. @ Feb 5 2009, 11:56 AM) *

have you looked at this one? no affiliation, but might fit you bill

Thanks for the heads up , it looks nice , not sure what 77 % restored means but i called and left a message , If the car is running and has a clean body ,

2999 is within my budget .
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 5 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #9

Camp914 Craig's shop - known as boxstr here
+Quote Post
sam quartermain
post Feb 5 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 5 2009, 12:33 PM) *

Camp914 Craig's shop - known as boxstr here

thanks , I guess you just need to know where to look .
+Quote Post
rjames
post Feb 5 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #11

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You should be able to find a decent driver for 3k.

Even if you got the one you're looking at for $1600 it wouldn't be worth it for that price with a bad engine unless the tub was in really great shape.

Keep looking.
+Quote Post
sam quartermain
post Feb 5 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(rjames @ Feb 5 2009, 01:14 PM) *

You should be able to find a decent driver for 3k.

Even if you got the one you're looking at for $1600 it wouldn't be worth it for that price with a bad engine unless the tub was in really great shape.

Keep looking.

Hi, thanks for the advise , the body is free of dent's but i've got a feeling it's rusty , it's been stored outside for the past 8 months with no car cover .
+Quote Post
ericread
post Feb 5 2009, 03:35 PM
Post #13

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with all of the above. Walk, no run away from the $1,600 car. It'll end up costing another $4,000 before you ever get to drive it. Probably more as you make it nice enough to be seen in public.

There are good deals out there. And with the economy, more of them all the time. As for the more money you spend the better car, I don't subscribe to that notion. Not all expensive 914's are worthwhile. Just like not all inexpensive 914's are going to save you any money in the mean time.

You really need to write out a list of requirements:

2.0 Liter engine
no significant rust in hell hole or in longs
Engine currently runs and sounds OK
Transmission shifts without external noises
Currently registered in California
Clean title
etc, etc, etc. Don't worry about color or interior so much. You can get a scratch and paint job for a few hundred dollars and it will work just fine for a year or so. The interior is almost all replaceable with parts from your friends on this BBS. Seat covers work just fine, etc.

Then compare what you see to what your list requires. It really helps in stopping the excitement of getting a Porsche from clouding your judgement.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can get a good DD that will work just fine at a pretty good price, but you have to work at finding the deal. All the bells and whistles can come later as you work on the car.

It took me three years before I had everything sorted out in my car and actually got a decent paint job. But I used the car every work day as a DD (and drove it on excursions quite a bit on the weekends. I budgeted for parts every month, and paid for my parts using cash. If I was short that month, the new parts had to wait. About every other weekend I was under the car, fixing shi_ that the PO had really buggered up. As you can imagine, the car wasn't all that pretty, but each month it got a little bit better mecahnically, until I was finally able to get paint last December.

Have fun, but be patient.

Eric Read
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Feb 5 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,604

I think if you get it for 1600 you could not go wrong. The webers are worth 400-500, You could sell the heads off the core engine for 300-400 ...

Find a used 2.0 for around 1000-1500 depending on condition and viola... However, you would still probably be better off starting with a nicer car

If you have 4-5K to spend you can get a fairly decent 914 for that.

QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 5 2009, 11:26 AM) *

Found another 914 but it's engine is blow and it's stored outside

I went to check it out and it's body is straight , has major cob web in rear fenders.

is stored outside . Seller says engine is " Blow " that car has either a broken rod or engine is otherwise seized up . car will need to be towed away.

paint is not good .

interior is striped pretty bare , has 2 seats though

seller claims that all the car needs is engine , and that it will be ready to drive .

How much should i expect to spend on a stock 2-0 engine for this veh. approx of course . here is the add below w/ pict's

seller want s. 2k , i'm thinking about offering 1600 ???

'74'73-porsche 914 - $2000 (SFV)

Date: 2009-02-02, 9:52PM PST

PORSCHE 914
$2500 spent on trans and new clutch, one week later engine blows(2.0 w/webers)
lowered , empis, straight you can call me ...
+Quote Post
sam quartermain
post Feb 5 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 5 2009, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(George H. @ Feb 5 2009, 11:56 AM) *

have you looked at this one? no affiliation, but might fit you bill

Thanks for the heads up , it looks nice , not sure what 77 % restored means but i called and left a message , If the car is running and has a clean body ,

2999 is within my budget .

Ok I heard from the seller of this link, and he said that car is currently getting engine work becasue it seized up and that he left his ad up even though car is in the shop ,

seller say's he will be tacking on an additional 1000 or more to the asking price once he gets the engine , sorted out .

+Quote Post
rjames
post Feb 8 2009, 09:43 AM
Post #16

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I still say keep looking. You're in Cali, and there's a ton of 914s there. Don't be in a rush. It still amazes me how many of these come up for sale every month. Find the best one for the $.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Feb 8 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #17

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

but i've got a feeling it's rusty

Run as fast as you can or when you get started you will feel like you just got (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) !

Is the car in Monrovia?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 07:16 AM