Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Question about replacement of jack receiver tube and pyramid
Richard Casto
post Feb 10 2009, 08:07 AM
Post #1

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

The PO had removed the old jack receiver tube and pyramid due to rust. I am going to replace these (not interested in leaving them off). The rust included not just the tube and pyramid, but also the exterior layer of the double wall longitudinal behind the pyramid. I have removed all of the rusted metal, but all that is left is the interior layer which is recessed into the longitudinal. I need to fabricate the exterior layer. The exterior layer also needs to be recessed but I don’t know by how much. If I go too deep the tube will be recessed too much. If I don’t go deep enough then it will not be recessed enough. I know I could just be safe and cut the end of the tube off if it sticks out too much, but I would rather just do it right and recess it the correct amount.

Here is the current situation. You can see the interior layer, but I don’t think (not sure) that the exterior is recessed quite as far back as the interior layer is.

Attached Image

I have replacement tubes and pyramids, so I know their dimensions. If someone could measure how far the tube sticks out beyond the flat surface on the top of the pyramid on their car, I can calculate how far to recess my replacement exterior layer. So in the diagram below, I know “A” and “B”. If someone can give me “C”, I can calculate “D”. If you can’t easily measure “C” then a combined “B” + “C” measurement (total height of tube from longitudinal) will work as well.

Attached Image

Thanks for the help!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:04 PM