Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bilstein rear shock questions
rfuerst911sc
post Mar 12 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

Last night I worked a trade and now own a pair of rear yellow Bilstein shocks. I believe they are " sports " and there is a sticker that says they are # B46 179. So what do I have here? They have the adjustable clips that adjust height but nothing else like springs,perches or mounting hardware. My thoughts are to buy threaded collars and springs so I really would have adjustability for height. Any suggestions on who to purchase the collars and springs from? I currently have Konis on the car with 140 lb. springs but my car isn't running yet so I don't know how good that setup is. Car will be street driver but leaning towards autocross / DE weapon. And is it true that most aftermarket springs that fit the adjustable collars are smaller in diameter than OEM or the springs I have on the Konis? Feedback from the experts is appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Derek Seymour
post Mar 12 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,151
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Mar 12 2009, 02:54 PM) *

Last night I worked a trade and now own a pair of rear yellow Bilstein shocks. I believe they are " sports " and there is a sticker that says they are # B46 179. So what do I have here? They have the adjustable clips that adjust height but nothing else like springs,perches or mounting hardware. My thoughts are to buy threaded collars and springs so I really would have adjustability for height. Any suggestions on who to purchase the collars and springs from? I currently have Konis on the car with 140 lb. springs but my car isn't running yet so I don't know how good that setup is. Car will be street driver but leaning towards autocross / DE weapon. And is it true that most aftermarket springs that fit the adjustable collars are smaller in diameter than OEM or the springs I have on the Konis? Feedback from the experts is appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

You can get them from this guy
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/1428/ (that link goes to the coil over kit but he sells the parts separately)

you can also go to this guy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sQ5fAccessories

If you want to go all Koni ( and sell me the Bilsteins (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )
Lavanaut has these 185# Koni Springs that were on a koni setup
http://66.220.104.38/914Noob/show_topic.pl...&maxPics=10

And finally yes some springs are smaller but the Weltmeister springs should be the same diameter.. I honestly don't know on the Koni springs.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 12 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #3

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You need a specific Lower collar that fits over the shock body of the Bils then you can run any of the various springs of OE dimensions. The top mount is just the stock setup. Your correct that when you switch to the coleman style perchs they require a smaller diameter spring.

BTW go here for those Lower perches (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:33 PM