Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stripped oil drain plug
SUNAB914
post Mar 15 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

Hey Everyone,

It's been a rough weekend. Long story short, I stripped the oil drain plug on the first oil chage of it's rebuild. I don't think much care was given to correcting it during the rebuild proccess. The bolt that was used in it, is 1/2 wide on the thread end, which is already bigger than a stock one. What is the best way to get my car back on the road. Tell me what I need to get and do to fix it.
Thanks

Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sww914
post Mar 15 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

You can buy a pipe tap and a pipe plug, re-tap the hole with a grease covered tap to keep the chips close. Wash out the crankcase by pouring several quarts of the world's cheapest oil through the engine and letting it drip out of the bottom, and install the plug.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Mar 15 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

If you use grease to keep the chips in one place, use a light grease and solvent to flush the case out. Oil will not flush the grease out until it gets hot.

I would put a few PSI air through the oil breather to have positive air flow as well.

Spiral flute taps do a way better job at pulling the chips out than a standard tap as well, but they will be twice the price.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2XTP3

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2XTR1
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:38 AM