Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need to lower and add sway bars. What 2 do?, Up-Grade 2.1
post Mar 15 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,791
Region Association: Southern California

Need to get sway bars and lower the car. Nothing hard core, but solid and clean. I'm not going to be tracking it every weekend but I would like a streetable lower look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

What sway set up? What springs? Any more to it?

Roy.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 15 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Going to 140 pound springs in the back will lower the rear 1/2 inch, eliminate the need for a rear sway bar, and work well with a stock front sway bar.

Going to R50 tires instead of R65 will also lower the car a little.

There are LOTS of threads on lowering the front - 2 of them came up today counting yours. How low do you want to go?

Zach
+Quote Post
southernmost914
post Mar 15 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #3

KEY WEST/HAVANA Tunnel Authority

Member No.: 8,234
Region Association: South East States

How low you want to go and how stiff a ride can you bare. I running 180 rear springs no rear sway and a 23mm front sway, bumpsteer kit "A" arms adjusted level. It's bareable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) This puts my front jacking donuts at 3.5 inches of the ground with 205/50/15s.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
Steve
+Quote Post
post Mar 15 2009, 08:31 PM
Post #4

Just put new Kumho 195/60-15's on. The car has no sway bars but new Bilstein's. My guess was springs in the rear and torque down the torsion bars in front. What are the details of the "Bump steer" set ups? why and what is this?
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Mar 16 2009, 04:53 AM
Post #5

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112
Region Association: None

The bump steer setup corrects the geometry for the lowered front suspension. When you hit a bump with the geometry off (from lowering the vehicle) the chain reaction from the tire moving in an upward direction in relation to the body of the vehicle causes the tie rod to move inboard, thus causing the steering wheel to spin. bump->steer.

Basically the kit is really thick spacers and longer bolts for mounting the steering rack higher to compensate for steering arm on the strut going higher/the car going lower in relation to the steering arm.

+Quote Post
blitZ
post Mar 16 2009, 05:40 AM
Post #6

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

You might consider adjustable perches in the rear with coil overs. It's fairly inexpensive and will provide independent height adjustment in the rear so you can corner balance the car. The coil over springs are a bit cheaper and there is a large variety of loads to choose from.

I have a 22mm Weltmeister in the front with a bump steer kit. 175 pound coil overs in the rear, lowered and corner balanced.
+Quote Post
post Mar 16 2009, 08:12 AM
Post #7

Thanks guys. Learn something new every day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 16 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #8

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

One of the main things to consider with a suspension setup is balance. If the front is too much stiffer than the rear, the car won't turn (understeer). If the rear is too much stiffer than the front, the car will like to spin (oversteer).

Additionally, in the 914 there are other considerations. A lowered 914 with a stock-type rear sway bar setup can bottom out the sway bar in a really hard corner, which then goes to a near-infinite rate. Not so good. It can also unload the inboard wheel to the point where an open diff will spin that wheel. Also not so good.

There are ways to overcome either or both of those, but they're not necessarily that easy.

Usually 914s past "a certain point" do without rear sway bars. They use the rear springs for the rear roll stiffness.

I have 150 lb/in springs on the rear of my 914, stock torsions and a 19mm aftermarket sway bar up front. No rear bar. The bar is slightly too small, I am running out of adjustment and still do not have an understeering car. For a mild street car, I think that 100 lb/in springs and the 19mm front bar would be a good match.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 04:09 PM