Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Researching 914 Ownership History & Condition Eval Pix, How to research original dealer & initial owner(s) of my `73 914-2
Tom_T
post Oct 27 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #101

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 27 2009, 07:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 27 2009, 06:20 PM) *

Yes...did you say that you had a picture of an aftermarket ski rack for teeners? I remember seeing plenty of them here in so-cal back in teh 70's......yes I am old enough!

Thanks if you have one or a picture.

Rob

See below & next post for pix of it. I got it at Gyp Iverson (Chip Iverson) Porsche+Audi in Newport Beach (Now Power Porsche NB) for less than $50 back in `76, & used them every winter 76-85!

It sits with skis held flat a few inches above & parallel with the Targa top, causing less wind turbulence, than the type from the rear bumper (bolts into tow-hook hole) & up to the roll bar (as in the rear rack shown in the next post) - with skis held at angle. The latter type also blocks access to the rear trunk without removing the skis, while these allow you to get in there if you don't fully open the trunk deck lid (ends of skis limit travel just a bit, but can be strapped into rack far enough forward to open both trunks without removing skiis.

FRONT RACK - MOUNTS INTO TARGA TOP GROOVE IN WINDSHIELD TOP FRAME:
Attached Image

...continued next post....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Oct 27 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #102

TMI....

....and here's the rear rack of the set....

BTW - these can mount either on the driver's or passenger side, or both - if you want to bring along downhill + XC skis for 2!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

REAR SKI RACK - MOUNTS TO UNDERSIDE OF ROLL BAR AT THREADED ACCESSORY MOUNTING HOLES:
Attached Image

How's that!?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
JazonJJordan
post Oct 28 2009, 01:29 AM
Post #103

Member No.: 10,446
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Absolutely excellent study Tom, I think I will try to do mine.
I know mine is a wadering-lost from CA car.
Yours is a great project. It is nowhere near terminal; true or loose the rear lid. Replace the taillight steel section. True or replace the trunk rear portion of the floor. That's not but a few hundred and some weekend work, easy.
Work from there. The front is the same.
Eat a cow. You can do it. Just slice it, at one steak- at a time...ahhhh-good!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Oct 28 2009, 02:08 AM
Post #104

TMI....

QUOTE(JazonJJordan @ Oct 28 2009, 12:29 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Absolutely excellent study Tom, I think I will try to do mine.
I know mine is a wadering-lost from CA car.
Yours is a great project. It is nowhere near terminal; true or loose the rear lid. Replace the taillight steel section. True or replace the trunk rear portion of the floor. That's not but a few hundred and some weekend work, easy.
Work from there. The front is the same.
Eat a cow. You can do it. Just slice it, at one steak- at a time...ahhhh-good!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanx....

Nice thing is, I was donated a wrecked racer shell which folded under the rear suspension with console damage, but pretty much everything I need in terms of F&R deck lids, L headlight/inner fender area, rear face panel & trunk floor & even the passenger floor/steering niche area (where my mystery rust hole appeared while in storage) are all there for the cutting!

Most of this is well beyond my skill level & limited tool bin, so rather than my f***ing it up, I'll have a good shop familiar with 914 body & paint help me with that part.

All I've got to do is get my daughter;s & wife's "extra" furniture out of the garage so I can get to it & start. Unfortunately, I have to do some business stuff first, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) then start moving stuff out to the new shed my son & I built this summer!
+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Oct 28 2009, 07:17 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 10,598
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Alright...tell me what I'm missing here guys. The car has serious rust, and has been smacked in on both ends pretty nicely. It doesn't have sentimental value, and I had to look a few times to make sure it wasn't some rare 914-6 or special edition. He says he's going to do some preliminary work but have others do the body work. Seems to me it's going to take many thousands to make this car right, when much better examples can be had for far less than even the body work is going to take. Tell me where I'm "off" on this appraisal.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 02:19 AM
Post #106

TMI....

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 28 2009, 05:17 AM) *

Alright...tell me what I'm missing here guys. The car has serious rust, and has been smacked in on both ends pretty nicely. It doesn't have sentimental value, and I had to look a few times to make sure it wasn't some rare 914-6 or special edition. He says he's going to do some preliminary work but have others do the body work. Seems to me it's going to take many thousands to make this car right, when much better examples can be had for far less than even the body work is going to take. Tell me where I'm "off" on this appraisal.

... sentimental value at the least, and a drive train thoroughly overhauled a few 1000s miles before it was smacked, I'm the second owner for 35 years, is a matching numbers early-73 914S ...

Perhaps not "worth it" to you and others here, but I ate many a PBJ sandwich & lotsa Mac-n-Cheese to get her, spent $10,000+ between Dec 75 & May 85 when she was my only car & DD, met & dated my wife in her, etc., etc.

While I'm not a "hammer-head" like many out there, it's not a necessary aspect to presume sanity in undertaking the project, because I'll bet that most out there have spent way more time & money on their 914 projects.

... and then, what's your time worth in doing so, especially when others with more expertise & better equipment can do it more quickly & efficiently! If someone can make more money per hour than what it costs to send it to a high quality resto shop's hourly rates - & even a modest $30/hr. job pays $60 for your double overtime on those evenings & weekends - same as most shops today, & add in how many $1,000s for tools & power-toys.....I think you get my drift, & the "other better 914 out there" is certainly going to require work too........so then - who is the crazy one!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) ....... I'll maintain that we ALL are!

We do it - how ever & what ever it is that we do, because we want to do so.

However, there are many aspects of the work which I can & will do, & I'll see that it's done right & comes out looking like she did "as new" ... & I'll KNOW what's what, rather than buying someone else's problems & unknowns!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Anyway, enough of th soapbox - I'm doing it, so get over it! .... here are some new pix last Sunday befoer the "monsoon" hit us here in SoCal!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

... more .....
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 02:26 AM
Post #107

TMI....

... continued ....

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

... more ......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 02:45 AM
Post #108

TMI....

... continued ....

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

... more ......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 02:57 AM
Post #109

TMI....

... continued ....

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

... and "The Twins" in our tiny 18'-0" x 17'-6" garage - boxes at far left are the 914 parts collection, then the "Red Racer" courtesy of SOB Racing/"Sawyer or Brisco Racing" - Mike Sawyer & Barry Brisco, after the rear suspension folded under & damaged the consoles & center section of the car - but left me with usable F&R clips, decklids, floor section, etc. - my 73 914S is on the right - plus misc. garage "stuffage" throughout & above:

Attached Image

... more .......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 03:05 AM
Post #110

TMI....

... continued ....

Another shot of the Red (ex-)Racer parts shell -

Attached Image

... and of my interior -

Attached Image
Attached Image

... more .......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 03:09 AM
Post #111

TMI....

... continued ....

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

... more .......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 03:23 AM
Post #112

TMI....

... continued ....

Rust spots & bubbles top-side -

Attached Image
Attached Image

Note the white Bondo at the rust bubble below, which was supposed to have been ground-out & "Leaded" back in in the 1980 Rust-oration, for which I was charged, but obviously NOT done properly! .. also a small bubble under the sail vinyl which is hard to see - sorry for the quality, but I was using my Lo-Rez cellphone camera to get pic files small enough to post here, & was losing light & fighting time with the rain coming in mid-afternoon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image

... more .......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 03:34 AM
Post #113

TMI....

... continued ....

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

... more .......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #114

TMI....

... continued ....

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

... more .......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 03:45 AM
Post #115

TMI....

... continued ....

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

... more .......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 03:52 AM
Post #116

TMI....

... continued ....

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

... more .......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 04:07 AM
Post #117

TMI....

... continued ....

The nefarious & mysterious underbody rust holing on pass side - driver side OK -

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

... more .......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 04:13 AM
Post #118

TMI....

... continued ....

Attached Image
Attached Image

Prior Targa Top refinish has started to peel, so it will be stripped & redone -

Attached Image

... more .......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 04:22 AM
Post #119

TMI....

... continued ....

Attached Image

A couple of detail shots of the "original" Riviera Alloy Wheels on my 914 when I bought it, including the Riviera logo on the bullet center caps, & although they're dirty - they're not corroded, but a rare brushed aluminum finish. I purchased a set of 5 Fuchs 2L Forged Alloy Wheels & will have Al Reed restore them for me, to put on post-resto, along with new lug bolts (still available) & a set of NOS center caps.

Attached Image
Attached Image

... more .......
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 04:43 AM
Post #120

TMI....

... continued ....

OE Color, Chassis No., VIN & Build Date info.

Attached Image
Attached Image

BTW - the Gold or Bronze Metallic was the color it was when I bought it in Dec. 75, & a repaint by either the PO/OO or dealer, Copper Metallic was mine in 8/76 & current color in 5/80.

Through my research & examining the physical evidence on my 914, I've been able to confirm that it was in fact originally factory fitted with the full Appearance & Performance Groups' options, including the "mysteriously missing":

1. Fog Lights/dash-switch (wires cut behind horns, evidence of mounting bracket once installed, clean hole in dash & facing where switch was installed);

2. Center Console & Gauges (under dash & floor mount holes were used, screw inserts under dash, elec. harness connections at tunnel, taco plate with oil temp. sender & wiring still in place, etc.);

3. Fuchs 2L Wheels (BO Recall not performed & shown in PCNA's records as still outstanding, which applied specifically to the Fuchs 2L Alloys only).

Additionally, this Dec. 1972 "914S" Porsche+Audi (USA) advertisement clearly indicated all these were "included options", as did the early-73 MY Porsche+Audi 12 pg. sales brochure for the 914 model - both of which I have in hand.

Attached Image
Attached Image

... that's all for now! ///////
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 03:53 PM