Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Researching 914 Ownership History & Condition Eval Pix, How to research original dealer & initial owner(s) of my `73 914-2
Tom_T
post Apr 3 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #61

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 1 2009, 12:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 20 2009, 08:23 PM) *
...Back to a few of my orignial questions asked of all you experts out there: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Thanx!
Tom T
///////

Another couple of parts related questions:

1.) Can I use a pre-73 chrome front bumper & just drill out the holes to mount the 2 - 73/74 "rubber baby buggy bumpers" ("tits")?

2.) Will the front & rear body panels/bulkheads (behind & above the F & R bumpers) work from any year in my `73 ?? ...are they pretty much standard?

Thanx,
Tom T
///////

Okay - Thanx All for the input so far....

If we can finish up my son's 88 Civic in time this week end, I'll try to take some pix of the 914's bumpers, rubber tops & front "tits" to get opinions on straightening them all for re-use, since they're mostly all now NLA.

How can I post or insert pix into this dang post???
I tried to do one the other day, but it wanted a URL!? ....so does that mean I need to set-up & post them on my own home page or something? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

As I said before, I'm trying to collect the parts necessary to get my `73 2L back on the road after being dry stored in my SoCal garage since 5/85 (+/- 24 years!) - both Mech & Body, and my preference is to stay OEM/OES or close to stock.

So I want to post questions on various systems, components & parts here - IF this is the appropriate place, or should I look to other areas on this bbs???
Please let me know if not &/or where I might get more & better responses to a particular topic.

That said, I'm looking at brake stuff this week. - for STREET driving use, without any... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/new_shocked.gif)

A few Brake System Questions, so I can take advantage of Performance Products 15% off sale this week: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

1.) First & Foremost - are Performance Products prices typically good competitive pricing??
....& are their weekly specials & discounts are worth jumping at?

...or can I do better just shopping around? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Dr. 914 - George - feel free to weigh in on your Auto Atlanta stock! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

2.) Brake Pads - OEM or ???? by whom? - STREET use
> which for improved braking?
> which for best life?
> which for least "squeal"?
> which don't have asbestos? (a no-no in CA & PBR has it!)
> ratings for: ATE, Jurid, Textar, Pagid, Mintex, Hawk, PBR, others?

3.) Stainless vs OEM Rubber Brake Lines?
> worth the extra price?
> longer life? ...if so, how much longer lasting?
> what is "shelf life" for each in terms of rubber/teflon/silicone?
...I hope to get them installed in `09, but it might be next year, what with all of the other stuff to be done!
> whose are best? ...Weltmeister? ...others?

4.) Master Cylinders - 914-4's 17mm -or- 914-6's 19mm?? (OEM only)
> 19mm are straight bolt-in substitute - correct?
> any steel lines, connectors or anything else need to be changed with 19mm?
> how much improvement 17 > 19mm? ....& for $45 less @ 19mm!
> any issues, concerns & problems in using 19mm?
> what is "shelf life" in terms of their rubber/teflon/silicone "innards"?
...I hope to get them in 2009/2010, but don't want them deteriorating on my shelf!
> any external rubber lines/parts to also replace on MC's? ...any available in SS?
> safety issues & viability of rebuilding current MC which has sat 24 yrs.?
...for safety reasons - I prefer it OEM/OES new or reman. unit (in case of internal rust/pitting/etc.)

5.) Brake Fluids --
> Porsche OEM vs. which others? - for STREET use
> How much do I need for complete change-over & bleeding? - # of oz. or ml & # of cans/bottles?
> what is "shelf life" if left un-opened until rebuild? - +/- 09/2010?

6.) Disk Calipers -- (they're not on sale now for 914s, but for future Ref.)
> new vs remanufactured vs "rebuilt"
> are OEM &/or OES now NLA? ...or if still available - where?? Front? & Rear?
> best mfgr source(s) for OEM Re-mans?
> what & where are the retail sources for above alts?
...I hope to get them in 2009/2010, but don't want them deteriorating on my shelf!
> safety issues & viability of rebuilding current Calipers which have sat 24 yrs.?
...for safety reasons - I prefer it OEM/OES new or reman. unit (in case of internal rust/pitting/etc.)
> best caliper rebuild kits & mfgrs? ...& is the shelf life of the rubber parts 2009-2010 or more?

7.) 914 Proportioning Valves -- (they're not on sale now for 914s, but for future Ref.)
> are OEM &/or OES still available? ...&/or OEM/OES Remans?
> any better alternative p.valves to elim. "spongy pedal"?
> how are the adjustable ones (like JWest)?? ...& how ahrd to adjust to get right for STREET use??
...or are they more of a pain in the A than they're worth????
> what & where are the sources for above alts?
> I'm not interested in replacing it with a "Tee", cuz it serves the function to prevent real lock-up & resulting spin-out or swapping back-to-front when you have to brake hard!!

Any other Brake System Tips? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Note that I'll hold off on buying anything without a "safe" shelf life thru 2010, until the actual time I'll be doing the brake system - sale or not! ... just to avoid those (IMG:style_emoticons/default/new_shocked.gif) moments! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
Thanx in advance guys & gals!
Tom
///////

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 03:54 AM
Post #62

TMI....

QUOTE(Racer @ Mar 21 2009, 04:44 PM) *

If you included pics, it would have been the "posterchild" for first posts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

OKAY - So just to make you happy, last week I spent 20+ hours digging the crap out from on & around the 914, crawled over, under, in, around & through taking pix & assessing the work ahead - literally through, as the pass door is inop. & there's only about 12" clear on driver's side, so I used a broom to crank down the window & slithered in! Since this post process limits pix to 500kb & my camera took 1-2+ MB pix, I've had to crop down a few to give you the general idea of what I'm up against.

Hopefully you can then all weigh in on whether to fix or cut-&-weld-in "new" parts (probably from a donor junker 914)????

During that grueling overnight process, I also pulled off the front bumper/etc., grills, horns, valence, turn & marker lights (for safe-keeping ya know!), etc. In that process, I found the fog lights' wires just snipped off behind the dual tone horns (verified that: 375 & 400 MHz), and the mounting bolt receivers were hiding behind the tweaked bumper et al. Of course I've always seen the perfect hole in the dash & basketweave cover material where the switch once was!

I also found the center console's front & rear mounting brackets' holes under the dash & in front of the storage console/flip-up pcenter pad; & the wiring harness connectors under the tunnel carpeting - so apparently it was once there - pretty sure to positive also! Why it was removed??? ....maybe for more leg room, especially if the center flip-up cushion was often used for a 3rd passenger??

No idea on why the Rivieras instead of 2.0 Fuchs, unless it had to do with one of the speculations that either I or your responses posed. Another new speculation I have come up with in researching 914 recalls, is that there was a Porsche Recall regarding the Alloys being improperly installed, and maybe the Dealer took the easy out & just installed VW Rivieras instead of correcting the front hubs/rotors???? I'll have to pull the RF Riv & compare the Rotor on there with the new ones I just got, to see if it has that little centering bump-out thingy!? ...real technical I know, but I'm brain-dead about now I can't think of the name of it!

Wouldn't it be a hoot if I could force a dealer to correct that & do the proper rotors, hubs and go find & buy me some nice 2.0 Fuchs Alloys ALL AT THEIR / PORSCHE'S COST!? ...I know, I'm dreamin'!!!

However, along those lines, I had the COA gal refer my query about whether Porsche would still do the Fule Lines & Battery Recall Campaign on mine (to at least save me some of the cost to replace the old OEM lines). And they do and I even got an "official Porsche Case Number" to get it done at a dealer whenever I'm ready can get the 914 to them. Then they have to find somebody who knows how to work on a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (since the car is probably older than most of their mechanics today) & run down the parts! They apparently have to honor all uncompleted recalls!

But first, an update on the "History Quest"! The COA is on the way, which actually prompted my picture quest 'cuz they needed a pic of my GA engine number before they would list it as a 2.0!

Furthermore, I've tried to read the trunk chassis number stamp which is very faint after OE + 3 Repaints, and with the limited clearance at the driver-side door, I can't even see the front label, the rear jamb lable & the one on the Pass-headlite box were painted over & unreadable - ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO CLEAN OF THE PAINT WITHOUT DAMAGING THE LABEL????

I also verified Sway Bars F&R, and the "Red" Konis went on the rear - not front struts as I'd said before (that was only a fix for one upper F strut mount, per the service record). I know that my mechanic told me they were Bilsteins before, but back then the replacement OEM Bilsteins were 2x the Konis, and cash was tight then - so I went with Konis!? I haven't tried to look in to see the F strut inserts, but the struts appear to be black or dark grey where I wiped off the grime, which I think means their Boge Struts - yes / no?? So I feel that verifies the Performance Group Package was there "standard"

And I verified dual tone horns, I know I have the intermittent wipers 'cuz I've used them!; verified the center console/gauges were most probably there at one time, she has the mouse-fur targa top headliner & "textured" black finish on it outside, has the vinyl roll bar trim & chrome F&R bumpers, has the tan/"carmel" loop/pile OEM carpet & Tan/"Cinnamon" Leatherette/Basketweave upholstery, padded Leather(ette) covered Steering Wheel & Shifter Knob (with the "old colors" cloisonne Porsche badge), & leather(ette) shifter boot - all confirmed & per the pix.

So that all sounds like the "fully loaded" 914-2.0 / "914S" upgraded equipment, as described in the early 1973 Porsche 914 full 9 page marketing brochure which I recently acquired on=line from Bishko for this very purpose. Therefore, I feel fairly confident & comfortable in restoring my early 914-2.0/914S with all of the currently "missing" 2.0 AG/PG items: restoring the missing fog lights/chrome grills, center console/3 gauges, & 4 Fuchs 2.0 Alloys.

...or would it have come with 5 Alloys - including the spare???? (FYI - my spare in the pix is the "then new" for 73 steel wheel with the cross-pattern stamped design)

However, during several phone & e-mail conversations over the past 2 weeks with Kristen doing my COA at PCNA, I now know the following:

VIN 4732901954
Only Options listed: US Equipment & Tinted Windows
> she had nother for certain on "standard 2.0 AG/PG Eqpt."
Engine Case # GA000424 - matching
Trans Case # 914/11HA0042874 (I think it is a 74, cuz mine was too worn for the 12/83 overhaul & a used case purchased)
Chassis # 5649545 ? (based on hard to read trunk stamp)
> (1st 5 could be a 3, 2nd 6 could be 3 or 8, 4th could be 8, but pretty sure on rest)
OE Color Code L80E Light Ivory (as I suspected)
> But I'm still unsure if the Gold Metallic when I bought it 12/75 was a Dealer or First Buyer Requested Repaint by the Selling Dealership.

Is it better to go back to the OE color, or to the Dealer Repaint (if I can verify such), of would it be okay to do either if it was a point-of-sale request for the Gold????

Another correction to my initial post: I had a memory related brain fart, & when I looked at my California DMV Registration Cards, it indicated a first sold/registered date of 11/9/72, and my purchase/renewal cycle date as 12/26/75 - and not the early 1976 acquisition date that I was presuming from my earliest service record date! So I've actually owned my teener a few months longer than my decrepit mind had recalled, dating back 34+ years, and purchased her just past her 3rd Birthday!

Also - given that the Gold Metallic paint wasn't super fresh & new on 12/26/75 - like a recent accident repaint would be, since I had to do a repaint in 8/76, that lends credence to it either being a dealer/initial buyer requested repaint - or at least a very early accident repair/repaint to gold!

I also found out that Calif. DMV will do research into their microfilm records under an "Information Request" at $20 per yeaqr requested (11/9/72 - 12/26/75 is only 4 years & probably well worth the $80 to fill the gap! ....especially if I can recover the missing fog lights, center console/gauges & 2.0 Fuchs Alloys from the PO/OO!!!! ...or at least answer what happened to them & why, & why/how the Gold color!?

If you're in CA & want to get this research, just go to the dmv.ca.gov website & download the "Information Request" form, fill it out & send it in with your check! ...then wait.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)

Okay - now for some pix, but bear with me, since I have to upload them 1 at a time due to the posts' attachment size limit. After I can figure out how to upload the full 8-900 pix to a homepage - which I'll also have to figure out how to create, then I'll post a link back at the front on my first post here.

Starting with Rear End Work..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:00 AM
Post #63

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:01 AM
Post #64

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:02 AM
Post #65

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:06 AM
Post #66

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:07 AM
Post #67

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:11 AM
Post #68

TMI....

NEW VS OLD DAMAGED TOP STRIP - MINE DOESN'T LOOK SO BAD!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:14 AM
Post #69

TMI....

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:21 AM
Post #70

TMI....

Attached Image

2.0 MUFFLER NOT DAMAGED - JUST SURFACE RUST TO CLEAN UP -
...besides, I got it fom Midas back in `83 with a Lifetime Free Replacement Guarantee - paid exreee for it too!, so it's their problem when it goes! ...I just need to clean it up & repaint it for now!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:23 AM
Post #71

TMI....

NOW FOR THE FRONT END DAMAGE

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:25 AM
Post #72

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:27 AM
Post #73

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:28 AM
Post #74

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:29 AM
Post #75

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:31 AM
Post #76

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:33 AM
Post #77

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:34 AM
Post #78

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:36 AM
Post #79

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:38 AM
Post #80

TMI....

MY MASHED FRONT BUMPER HORNS/TITS

Attached Image
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:25 PM