Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Researching 914 Ownership History & Condition Eval Pix, How to research original dealer & initial owner(s) of my `73 914-2
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:40 AM
Post #81

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:43 AM
Post #82

TMI....

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:47 AM
Post #83

TMI....

BATTERY TRAY CRUD TO R&R + CLEAN UP OTHER SURFAVE RUST AT HELL-HOLE

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 04:55 AM
Post #84

TMI....

PASSENGER SIDE FRONT FLOOR PAN RUST OUT JUST BEHIND STEERING RACK - 6" X 3"

Attached Image

WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM?
....SO I CAN FIX THE CAUSE TOO, SINCE THE NEXT FLOOR PAN SHOT INSIDE IS NOT RUSTED OUT

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 05:02 AM
Post #85

TMI....

BOTH JACK POINTS - TUBES & BASES TO REPLACE - THIS IS PASSENGER SIDE
...YET TO SEE CONDITION BEHIND ROCKERS....

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 05:07 AM
Post #86

TMI....

OE TAN LOOP / PILE CARPET AFTER 24 YEARS SINCE LAST CLEANED / VACUUMED

Attached Image

AND ALUMINUM THRESHOLDS OF EARLY `73s

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 05:12 AM
Post #87

TMI....

OEM/S "VW 4412" AM/FM/8-TRACK STERIO/MONO RADIO/PLAYER WITH OE BASKETWEAVE-LOOK FACEPLATE

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 05:15 AM
Post #88

TMI....

8-TRACK CARTRIDGE GOES IN HERE......

Attached Image

ID NUMBERS ON BOTTOM - ANY IDEA OF MAKER? E.G.: MOTOROLA, BLAUPUNKT, ETC.?

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 05:19 AM
Post #89

TMI....

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 05:20 AM
Post #90

TMI....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 05:28 AM
Post #91

TMI....

SEMPERIT "SST" "V1" 165HR15 OE SPARE TREAD PROD 2-1973 i THINK
...A REPLACEMENT TIRE, BUT I THINK IT WAS THE FIRST OEM TOO
....IT'S MOUNTED ON THE SILVER PAINTED PRESSED STEEL 5.5J X 15 WHEEL WITH THE "NEW MAG LOOK" CROSS DESIGN TO THE STAMPING

Attached Image

1983 KLEBER (MICHELIN SUSIDIARY) 165HR15 STEEL RADIALS - LAST / CURRENT TIRES ON RIVIERA MAGS AT 4 WHEELS - STILL GOOD TREAD BUT WELL PAST THEIR "SAFE LIFE" !!!!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 05:32 AM
Post #92

TMI....

LASTLY - OTHER ACCESSORIES - HARDT B14 BIKE RACKS FOR 914s
...ALSO HAVE SKI RACKS FOR 2 SKIIS ON 1 SIDE (CAN DO 2 ON EACH SIDE FOR 4 WITH 2 SETS OF RACKS), BUT THOSE PIX AREN;T TRIMMED DOWN YET!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 05:51 AM
Post #93

TMI....

BIKE RACK PARTS & BOX

Attached Image

BTHLA - BTHLA - THAT'S ALL FOLKS - FOR NOW! - (That's a Porky Pig Rendition for you Young-uns!)

BTW - the build date on this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg) was 9/72 according to the COA lady!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ALL THINK CAN BE FIXED, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

VS

WHAT NEEDS TO BE CUT OUT & "NEW" STRAIGHT PARTS WELDED OR BOLTED IN??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

97 degrees out here today, as we went thru my deceased brother-in-law's stuff on the 914 - trying to make a permanent clear-out a reality. That's just too stinky hot! yeah, yeah - I know -it's a "dry heat" - still hot as (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

OK - Now I'm DUN with (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) for now & really need to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)

///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 21 2009, 01:40 AM
Post #94

TMI....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) WUT - nobody looking at my post anymore - after I gave you all the Pix you asked for!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 21 2009, 08:26 AM
Post #95

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I know that I wouldn't want to be doing that repair work. But then, I can't do bodywork.

WRT the spares: It was evidently pretty common for dealers to replace the spare alloy wheel with a steelie. If they did that to four cars, they could then sell the alloys as a full set, or possibly swap them onto a car that was delivered withs steel wheels.

Sometimes people wanted the Rivs instead of the Porsche alloys (Pedrini, Mahle, Fuchs). The dealer would usually be happy to oblige (while charging for it of course!).

--DD
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 21 2009, 12:21 PM
Post #96

TMI....

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 21 2009, 07:26 AM) *

I know that I wouldn't want to be doing that repair work. But then, I can't do bodywork.

WRT the spares: It was evidently pretty common for dealers to replace the spare alloy wheel with a steelie. If they did that to four cars, they could then sell the alloys as a full set, or possibly swap them onto a car that was delivered withs steel wheels.

Sometimes people wanted the Rivs instead of the Porsche alloys (Pedrini, Mahle, Fuchs). The dealer would usually be happy to oblige (while charging for it of course!).

--DD

So I take it I should look for 5 Fuchs 2.0 Alloys then?

...yeah, then they could throw those other "steelies" into yet more "stripped 2.0's"!

BTW - I'm only going to do some of the more basic bodywork, rust work & maybe stripping & POR15 & priming, then turn it & the parts/parts car to the Paint & Body, Bumper/Re-chrome & unibody rack pro's! I can do maybe all but the F&R damage, & bottom & battery stand rust items - unless my buddy still has his welder - in which case we could take on the latter 2 items also.

I've done some less serious body work than the F&R above. A couple of weeks ago we finished up an inherited 88 Honda Civic for my kids use, doing minor chips, dings & rust areas, plus leading & bondo-ing the LF fender damage at the pic below. We got it to primer stage, then took it to MAACO for a quick urethane paint job, which we hope will last the kids 4-8+ years. That was a "practice car" for the 914 by my son & myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

`88 HONDA CIVIC HATCHBACK "PRACTICE CAR" FOR MY UPCOMING `73 914-2.0 PROJECT
completed April `09 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) next...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 21 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #97

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

That bike rack is very cool. Someone not too long ago made a post to see if they were ever offered for the 914. Good luck with the project. You came to the right place. Some very tallented people here which can point you in the right direction with body work.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 21 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #98

TMI....

QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 21 2009, 03:32 PM) *

That bike rack is very cool. Someone not too long ago made a post to see if they were ever offered for the 914. Good luck with the project. You came to the right place. Some very tallented people here which can point you in the right direction with body work.

Thanx for the support Tod! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Given my car's accident history rendering it probably not a CW candidate, I just want to try to resolve the rust issues, do the body work as cost effectively & efficiently as possible to get it street-worthy & looking good, such that it will last & maintain/increase in value over time. That will make my son happy to inherit a reasonably solid 914-2.0 one day! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

I'm not trying to make it into one that you can eat off of - like yours look/sound like, and those of others on here. I just cannot imagine owning a car like these for 35+/- years with only racking up 23k miles! I like to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) my cars. To each his/her own though!

I had a buddy who got an early 70-4 1.7 who rarely drove it and would probably be in that category! Last time I saw his in the early 90's, his red paint, interiors, trunks, etc. ALL were still showroom fresh! We called him "Mr. Perfect" because he was that way about everything! He bought a 70 Datsun pick-up at the same time & drove it as his DD (for the yung-uns here - that's a "Nissan"!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), and only took the 914 out to wash it tenderly & stroke it a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) , or to impress the ladies on a date! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) Don't know if he still has it though!? ...if so, he'd probably win just about any PCA Parade hands down with that one!

I guess I'll just "KISS" it, & get a bag of 50-100 of those white rivets @ 20 cents each from you for posterity's sake - unless they need to be rationed more for others? For $10-20 bucks + S&H - it can't hurt to have them on hand! PM me with the particulars for payment & mail? - check or credit card? How close to the ones in my pic on the rockers post are they? ....mine look like little white miniature "Dolly Parton Titties" - half-domed with a little extension on the top/cap probably to stabilize whatever tool they used to insert them.

Please do let me know if you ever run down the metal ones for the rocker tops & I'll get some of them too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Oct 27 2009, 07:20 PM
Post #99

TMI....

FYI - UPDATE ON RESEARCHING OWNERSHIP & RESTO

Cal DMV turned out to be a dead-end, since even their microfilm/microfische records didn't go back to 1972 to get the original buyer from the 11/9/72 "sold new" date on my first DMV reg. card for 12/76-12/77. Ergo, when I can get to my old dead file records, I'll have to check if I still have anything on the PO, then try to track them down - if they're even around anymore - here in OC or otherwise - let alone if they have any more info on the car......just wish I knew to ask more back then! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I suspect that when I let the registration lapse in 12/92 as the 914 continued to sit in the garage, that DMV canned the records, which MAY not have happened if I'd kept it on PNO. I'd planned to keep the PNO up at $5.00/yr., but they stopped sending the renewals after `92, & by the time I tracked it down they wanted $1000s & a smog test (car wasn't running at all by then), full registration, penalties & interest in order to reopen the registration. Hopefully they won't pull that BS now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

However, that Cal DMV info request at their website MAY be useful for those with Cali 914s which have been continuously registered in CA.

I also got a shed up & am in the process of getting the stuff out of the garage so I can actually get 'er off the blocks & out!....& the shell in too. I'll post pix from outside once that's done, but probably to a fresh post - probably at the Garage section, as well as focused posts on specific originality/resto questions here.

I'm still awaiting correction of the erroneous COA, and a PCNA Regional Tech. Mgr. is coming out to inspect the 914 for recalls, & I'll get him to weigh-in on that too! More to come on that front too......

As to the resto - well, I've collected about 80-90% of the parts that I know I'll need - including a former racer 74 2L shell (Thanx Barry & Mike!) with the body panels I'll need - to repair, restore & rejuvenate my ole 73 914 2L.

There will still be more to get as I go forward, at the time they're actually needed, such, as:
> Injectors, Sensors, ECU/Rebuild, Fuel Pump, etc. for the EFI to be fresh.

> PMB F&R Caliper Restorations & Porterfield R4-S pads from Eric @ PMB - Thanx for the recco guys!

> Tires - ohhhh, that's a whole long & still undecided story elsewhere here!

> Seals & Rubber, depending upon what turns out to be in bad shape on closer inspection once I can get it out & look closer - but I know that I still need: L&R inner door seals, L&R front tits & front topper for sure - hopefully Mark @ Mikie914 comes thru on the tits soon, he has the topper, & I'll probably use his superior rear topper over the OE one I already bought - another great recco!

Still on the hunt for:

> Front Chrome Bumper - got good 71 restorable DD level cores & can use the rear, but will need to trade/sell the 71 front for a 73-74 with holes for the tit-studs (I know, I know, all you guys are tit studs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) )
- anyone got a trade? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

> L&R Taillight Assemblies with VG-Excl USA Lenses - missed G&R Sunday due to work stuff, but will keep hunting
- any advantages of getting nice used/NOS over the AA repros for such lenses?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

> VG-Excl Driver & Pass. OE Loop Pile #503 tan & brown speckled Floor Mats, to match this carpet:
Attached Image

BTW - I will be going back to the OE L80E Light Ivory with #31 Beige Interior afterall, along with recreating all of the Appearance Group items originally on the car, but removed by the PO or dealer - incl.: fog lights/dash-switch, center console/gauges, & 5 Fuchs 2L alloy wheels - just got to clean them up & add them when she's ready to take them......but lotsa paint/body & mechanicals to do first! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ....hmmmm....let me know if I've left anything else unanswered or hanging here for now.
Cheers All!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 27 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #100

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 27 2009, 06:20 PM) *

FYI - UPDATE ON RESEARCHING OWNERSHIP & RESTO

Cal DMV turned out to be a dead-end, since even their microfilm/microfische records didn't go back to 1972 to get the original buyer from the 11/9/72 "sold new" date on my first DMV reg. card for 12/76-12/77. Ergo, when I can get to my old dead file records, I'll have to check if I still have anything on the PO, then try to track them down - if they're even around anymore - here in OC or otherwise - let alone if they have any more info on the car......just wish I knew to ask more back then! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I suspect that when I let the registration lapse in 12/92 as the 914 continued to sit in the garage, that DMV canned the records, which MAY not have happened if I'd kept it on PNO. I'd planned to keep the PNO up at $5.00/yr., but they stopped sending the renewals after `92, & by the time I tracked it down they wanted $1000s & a smog test (car wasn't running at all by then), full registration, penalties & interest in order to reopen the registration. Hopefully they won't pull that BS now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

However, that Cal DMV info request at their website MAY be useful for those with Cali 914s which have been continuously registered in CA.

I also got a shed up & am in the process of getting the stuff out of the garage so I can actually get 'er off the blocks & out!....& the shell in too. I'll post pix from outside once that's done, but probably to a fresh post - probably at the Garage section, as well as focused posts on specific originality/resto questions here.

I'm still awaiting correction of the erroneous COA, and a PCNA Regional Tech. Mgr. is coming out to inspect the 914 for recalls, & I'll get him to weigh-in on that too! More to come on that front too......

As to the resto - well, I've collected about 80-90% of the parts that I know I'll need - including a former racer 74 2L shell (Thanx Barry & Mike!) with the body panels I'll need - to repair, restore & rejuvenate my ole 73 914 2L.

There will still be more to get as I go forward, at the time they're actually needed, such, as:
> Injectors, Sensors, ECU/Rebuild, Fuel Pump, etc. for the EFI to be fresh.

> PMB F&R Caliper Restorations & Porterfield R4-S pads from Eric @ PMB - Thanx for the recco guys!

> Tires - ohhhh, that's a whole long & still undecided story elsewhere here!

> Seals & Rubber, depending upon what turns out to be in bad shape on closer inspection once I can get it out & look closer - but I know that I still need: L&R inner door seals, L&R front tits & front topper for sure - hopefully Mark @ Mikie914 comes thru on the tits soon, he has the topper, & I'll probably use his superior rear topper over the OE one I already bought - another great recco!

Still on the hunt for:

> Front Chrome Bumper - got good 71 restorable DD level cores & can use the rear, but will need to trade/sell the 71 front for a 73-74 with holes for the tit-studs (I know, I know, all you guys are tit studs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) )
- anyone got a trade? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

> L&R Taillight Assemblies with VG-Excl USA Lenses - missed G&R Sunday due to work stuff, but will keep hunting
- any advantages of getting nice used/NOS over the AA repros for such lenses?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

> VG-Excl Driver & Pass. OE Loop Pile #503 tan & brown speckled Floor Mats, to match this carpet:
Attached Image

BTW - I will be going back to the OE L80E Light Ivory with #31 Beige Interior afterall, along with recreating all of the Appearance Group items originally on the car, but removed by the PO or dealer - incl.: fog lights/dash-switch, center console/gauges, & 5 Fuchs 2L alloy wheels - just got to clean them up & add them when she's ready to take them......but lotsa paint/body & mechanicals to do first! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ....hmmmm....let me know if I've left anything else unanswered or hanging here for now.
Cheers All!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Yes...did you say that you had a picture of an aftermarket ski rack for teeners? I remember seeing plenty of them here in so-cal back in teh 70's......yes I am old enough!

Thanks if you have one or a picture.

Rob
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:23 PM