Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ot: eagle scout, how many are there are in our midst?
markb
post Mar 23 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #21

914less :(

Group: Members
Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Life & then we moved to where there was no troop. Good times.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Mar 23 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I never made it to Eagle, but when a kid applies for a job at my business and I see Eagle Scout on the application, I know they have the ability to do a job if they set their mind to it.

I don't know if these kids understand that this means more to an employer than grades in school.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Mar 23 2009, 02:15 PM
Post #23

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

I never made eagle scout (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ..but i did eat a brownie once at a camp out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 23 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Another one here.

Was originally going to comment that you're not really 'spose to make a big deal about it, but am glad to see so many Eagles sound off to offset some of the negative comments.

I'm a fan of Boy Scouts. I think it does a lot for young boys and young men, and for their appreciation of nature and the environment. "Leave a place as -- or better than how -- you found it" is an ethic that still carries weight with me, and not just when I'm in nature. I think all the work to earn the various merit badges probably also served to make me appreciate many different subjects and the people who excel in them, even if I've forgotten most of the particulars. And then you have all the trips, time to socialize with other kids and their dads. Maybe a bit hokey to some, and it certainly CAN be with some, but being out in nature and depending on others in a way you just don't have to at home in the city or even countryside is instructive.

As to Eagles, Lifes, Second Classes, etc. I have a healthy respect for any kid who participated and grew as a result of Scouting, but especially those who pursued the higher ranks and achieved them.

It's easy to take potshots at Scouting, just as it seems to be with many of the few remaining "wholesome" activities out there, but that's just nuts if you stop to really think about it. A few non-PC issues with re: to Scouting aside, it's VERY hard to argue with the vast majority of what Scouting promotes.

Oh yeah: Congratulations!

pete
+Quote Post
6freak
post Mar 23 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #25

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

I was just trying to be funny kinda my sick sence of humar.I hope i didnt offend anyone that was not my intentions at all.I always leave it better then i found it,and i respect nature greatly and spend alot of time in it with my boys Hunting,fishing,hikeing,camping and all the like stuff.The scouts is not a hooky thing to me at all but its just not around(or safe) like it was when we where kids and with some of the people running the programs Molestors and petophiles its kinda scarey to want to send my kids off to a camp for days at a time.The things i teach my boys out in the woods is to respect nature and it will be a good host to you and i spend more time in the woods the your average bear and my boys could servive better then most adults in the woods .much more then todays scouts and i dont have to worry about them coming home with sad tale of some perv trying to molest them...No disrespect to anyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 23 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 23 2009, 02:12 PM) *

I was just trying to be funny kinda my sick sence of humar.I hope i didnt offend anyone that was not my intentions at all.I always leave it better then i found it,and i respect nature greatly and spend alot of time in it with my boys Hunting,fishing,hikeing,camping and all the like stuff.The scouts is not a hooky thing to me at all but its just not around(or safe) like it was when we where kids and with some of the people running the programs Molestors and petophiles its kinda scarey to want to send my kids off to a camp for days at a time.The things i teach my boys out in the woods is to respect nature and it will be a good host to you and i spend more time in the woods the your average bear and my boys could servive better then most adults in the woods .much more then todays scouts and i dont have to worry about them coming home with sad tale of some perv trying to molest them...No disrespect to anyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

No worries, and no offense taken!

Very funny (and yet very NOT funny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) ) about the "safety" of Scouts these days. Unheard of in my days (not that long ago, or am I kidding myself? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) ), but it's one more reminder to be sure I actually *go* to stuff if my kids ever join, rather than just sending them. How sad to think that happens, and has...but I can tell you it wouldn't go over well with me if I learned of it happening.

pete
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 23 2009, 07:20 PM
Post #27

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

My dad was actually at most of the events when I was younger because of that reason. WHen I was a cub scout and went into being a boy scout was when the first news of some Scout leader did some unthinkable things to another Scout down South. My dad always wanted to make sure all the other leaders , and other Scouts themselves, were above that. Plus, he always loved the camping and hiking and all. He's a true farm boy turned millionaire and loves his roots.

He and I actually took a 100 mile hike by ourselves that was a real adventure. We took five days and lived off the land.

I really don't want to do that ever again but it was a cool learning leason.
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Mar 23 2009, 08:48 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 3,061

The last Eagle Ceremony I attended I think the speaker was Newt Gingrich ( former Speaker of the House) and if I remember correctly he said that 80% of the astronauts are Eagles.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 29 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #29

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Mucho congrats! You have much to be proud of!!

I missed Eagle by two merit badges, and I look back and say to my teen age self "Idiot! You don't get that close and not close the deal". I did break my leg right at driver's license age. and that seems to change a lot of priorities for teen age boys.

I served in pretty much all the leadership aspects of scouting, as well as learning all the critical skills you get from scouting;outdoor, survival, and safety/first aid/lifesaving, and teamwork. I was tapped for OA, and went to a national Jamboree.

Scouting is an excellent program for growing boys. It teaches so much. I do find it a indicator of our social woes when a phrase like "what are ya some kind of Boy Scout" has a negative connotaton.
+Quote Post
ChicagoPete
post Jun 13 2009, 03:13 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 3,427

Kind of reviving an old thread.

As I was cleaning my home office recently I came across this which I had bought off eBay MANY years ago for the very reason that I am into Porsche's, and 914's, and more specifically 914/6GT's and am myself an Eagle Scout.

So, I remembered this thread and this has got to be the perfect place for this stuff. How strange, a Boy Scout topic on a Porsche 914 site and a Porsche article in a Boy Scout Magazine! And to top it all off alot of 914 content!

I didn't scan it, just took pictures with my digital camera. Not so qualified at scanning documents on my printer...only printing.

Peter

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 13 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #31

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

what year is that from?

cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
ChicagoPete
post Jun 14 2009, 06:54 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 3,427

That issue is August '71

I am too young to have gotten it myself. But most certainly my older brothers would have gotten that issue.

Peter
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 09:39 PM