Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> car trailer question
Joe Ricard
post Mar 31 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #21

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

I use the transmission ears for the rear, they cross to the back eyes on the trailer.

fronts go around the front A arm. leave the car in nuetral.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 31 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Big reason to buy a longer trailer - tire racks for race tires and storage for gas.

I think mine is 18 or 20 feet; whatever, but it had plenty of room to weld in tire racks and holders for gas cans. At night when on the road I just cover the entire trailer and car up with a tarp. I also have a (lockable) bar through the wheels and I use chains on the gas cans.

Also room for a nitrogen tank below the tires.

If you have the option try to get a trailer with a removable fender on the drivers side. This will eliminate a lot of frustration when you end up banging the door on the steel fender.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Mar 31 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #23

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

The bed of my trailer is 16ft steel deck, flip up fenders, hidden ramps, brakes on both axels. I bought it used for $800 3 years ago and it was one of the best things I ever bought. If I was to replace it I would go with a 20ft one just for the extra room for a open trailer and a 24ft for enclosed. I like the wheel holddwon straps. I got them from ebay.

My setup

Attached Image

With a 74 911 loaded

Attached Image

And my 914 when I brought it home from paint a few years ago.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Mar 31 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #24

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

One of our member vendors sells these very reasonably for tie down points.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-4-1126325088.jpg)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Apr 1 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #25

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Get this trailer - the car comes with it

T.C.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Apr 1 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

Today I took off from work and went to look at a 18 foot steel deck trailer. From the time I called the guy saying I was leaving to the time I arrived ( 45 minutes ) the trailer was sold for $700.00 ! Just wasn't meant to be I guess. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the feedback guys.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 1 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #27

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Heres mine. 12' nice and low. I've pulled this all over the country and back several times. I built it about 15 years ago. I had way too much money in it when I built it but it pulls so nice I would do it again.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sww914
post Apr 1 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

Mine is absolutely minimal. It's 12' long and about a foot wider than the front of a 914. It has no axle, the monkey who built it welded 2 different F suspension knuckles from some random old cars to the sides of the trailer. It's too low to clear a 40 oz beer bottle laying on the freeway. It's really light, super easy to tow, and I spent more on the wires, connectors, chains and lights than I spent on the trailer. It doesn't use ramps, I just crank up on the electric tongue jack until the back of it hits the ground and drive the car on to it. It's the biggest POS at every race but I wouldn't trade it. Nobody, ever, can get their car on and off as fast and easy as me. $200,000.00 car, $50,000.00 trailer and it takes them half an hour to get the car out. It's so tough that some brain dead immigrant in LA ran over the corner of it on the freeway, tore the bumper off of his mini-van, my trailer was fine.
The nice thing about a large enclosed trailer is that you can put all your crap in it.
The bad thing about a large enclosed trailer is that you will put all your crap in it.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Apr 1 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #29

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

QUOTE(sww914 @ Apr 1 2009, 08:10 PM) *

Mine is absolutely minimal. It's 12' long and about a foot wider than the front of a 914. It has no axle, the monkey who built it welded 2 different F suspension knuckles from some random old cars to the sides of the trailer. It's too low to clear a 40 oz beer bottle laying on the freeway. It's really light, super easy to tow, ...

Pictures????

Would love to see it.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 2 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

One time a friend asked me to move a 62 4x4 chevy truck for him that a body shop had started on. It didn't have a seat but would run. We went and got it and it loaded ok but it had been setting and was a little rough running. When we got to my house and started to unload it he was setting on a 5 gallon can. It didn't want to stay running so he was revving it up a little and got it in granma low instead of reverse. Before he could recover and kill it, it didn't have any brakes, he was up on top of a big tool box I have in the front to hold all the stuff. I was pulling it with a harley truck and he thought he bought the back of the truck. All that happened was he ran over my koozy that was setting on the box. The tool box is really big but aluminum. It's powdercoated black. I got it from tractor supply. Both front tires were on it's top. It didn't bend it, I couldn't believe nothing was bent. You should have seen the look on his face while he was mashing on the brakes that didn't work.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 08:13 PM