Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hello from another new guy
STockShift
post Feb 26 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,676

Hi, just signed up on this site and wanted to say hi.

In 1986 (?) or so, my dad bought a red 1975 Porsche 914-4. It was in stellar condition (no rust, as far as I can tell) with only ~6,000 original miles on the engine. I didn't get to drive the car much but he taught me how to drive stick on it and let me drive it occasionally. By the time I left for college, it had just over 10,000 miles on it.

As my sister and mom never learned how to drive stick, my dad was the only one who could drive the car after I left. He neglected to drive the car and eventually the car just sat in the garage, unused for the last 14 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Fast forward to current day, and we decide to get the car fixed. The 914 has been in the garage all these years so the exterior remains in stellar condition. Again, no rust as far as I can tell but I didn't exactly rip the car apart. The interior needs a bit of work ... the leather has dried out over the years so it will need some repair.

Also, he tells me that the door locks don't work ... I don't know how that happened, seeing as in 1990 the locks worked. They are not electric locks so it is mind-boggling how they managed to break while sitting in the garage for the last 14 years???

Anyhoo, he took it down to the local service shop (probably not what I would have done ... there's a place nearby that specializes in 911s and 914s, according to the local PCA -- much better than the corner Sunoco). New fuel pump, new fuel injectors, all new hoses and some other assorted parts were used to get the car back on its feet.

The good news is that the car is operational again, although it will need new tires and I'm sure other repairs as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

We're continuing our efforts to get the car back up to snuff. No pictures at this time, but maybe in a few weeks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 26 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Welcome to the club! You're at the right place. We like stories like yours, too. Cars have history with people and that is cool. Post some pics when you get a chance!!
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 26 2004, 12:32 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

thats awesome....
welcome to the board..
sounds like a great time capsule car.

I've had door handles get real stubborn when the grease in them dried out...
the fix was to remove the door panel, remove the handles, wash well and regrease, then reassemble.

hopefully they didn't get pulled too hard and broken when they were stiff.....

brant
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Feb 26 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) Hi. Welcome. There's a wealth of knowledge to be had here. Not from me, I'm just here for the entertainment. But plenty of others here will be able to answer any questions you may have. And some you haven't even thought of yet.

Could the door not working be this stupid little plastic piece? If door handle doesn't work from outside, but does from the inside, this could be your guy.

Jen

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 26 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #5

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

and you said you're no help!

quit it! it's funny we all pick up a lot here from others and share it freely. You'll learn lots here, I know I have!!!
+Quote Post
Gint
post Feb 26 2004, 06:56 PM
Post #6

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Welcome to the board STockShift. That's cool that you and your Dad are working on this together. 30 year old cars that sit around unused have a way of getting revenge. Be thankful you don;t have to deal with that in the form of rust!

Don;t forget to post some pics of your car in the Members 914 Pics thread when you get the time.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 02:19 PM