Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru 2.0 Turbo 300 horse GEARING, Can you guys help on gearing...got the trans apart
Matt Monson
post Apr 8 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,562
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Always glad to help. Also, let me know if you are still looking for that slider. Porsche gears and trannies are all I do these days and have a pile of those sliders as good used parts. Most of the builds we do get new ones, so we've got lots of extras that are perfectly good but aren't worth much to us. I'd sell it to you for not much more than shipping cost.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 8 2009, 09:48 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Matt what ecu will you use on the jdm ej20g? I have a 96 ej20h and was going to try to use wrx stuff on it as I have some extra 02 wrx ecus, intake parts and so on if I can. It came with the tt stuff and I have all those parts but it would be a nightmare to keep all the control stuff working. I might also try the tranny that came with it in the 914. It is the outback version.
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Apr 8 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,635

QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 8 2009, 08:48 PM) *

Matt what ecu will you use on the jdm ej20g? I have a 96 ej20h and was going to try to use wrx stuff on it as I have some extra 02 wrx ecus, intake parts and so on if I can. It came with the tt stuff and I have all those parts but it would be a nightmare to keep all the control stuff working. I might also try the tranny that came with it in the 914. It is the outback version.

just tore down the turbo from the block.....it is a TD04. I read that is the stocker subaru turbo and that it actually spools up the quickest. But is my horsepower actually lower now with the TD04 than with the 16g?
+Quote Post
Matt Monson
post Apr 9 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 8 2009, 07:48 PM) *

I am using factory 1995 WRX STi-RA ECU. Basically the one that came with the engine. There's about 6 options for the 1993-1996 ECU's and some of them are readily available. Others, like mine, are very limited in production.

You can also use a USDM EJ22T legacy turbo ECU. Even though they are only rated at 160hp with a boost controller and a fuel pressure regulator they will run an Ej20 just fine. I used that one on my 1991 swapped Legacy and it put down numbers on the dyno that suggested it was making 240 at the crank.

Whichever way you do the single turbo conversion, you'll want a new wiring harness because the Ej20H TT harness is the next generation and uses a 3 plug configuration that's different from the earlier 4 plug set ups.

Chris,
If that's got a TD04 on it, it's rated at 220chp. However, you are right that they spool a bit better than the td05. It's trimmed different than the USDM Td04 and can hold boost a bit higher in the rpm-band. It's the turbo I used on my Legacy because it was my daily driver. Plus, a Td05 can bring $400-500 on the open market and I needed the money for clutch and flywheel at the time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

However, all is not lost. The longblock itself is IDENTICAL to the ones with the bigger turbo. You've got the 440cc injectors, so you can really maximize the td04, run it around 16psi and not have it be outside of it's efficiency range.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 9 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

I guess there's no way I can use the tt ecu because of all the extra controls it came with. It sure would save a lot of swapping if I could use it and just use a wrx single turbo. I do have the tt turbos but they seem pretty small. I have some extra tdo4's that I bought for this motor. I know it has higher compression so that will be another hurtle to deal with. I have some good usdm motors but I wanted to use this motor for something as I kinda like the hyd lifters and the big ports.
+Quote Post
Matt Monson
post Apr 10 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 9 2009, 07:01 PM) *

I guess there's no way I can use the tt ecu because of all the extra controls it came with. It sure would save a lot of swapping if I could use it and just use a wrx single turbo. I do have the tt turbos but they seem pretty small. I have some extra tdo4's that I bought for this motor. I know it has higher compression so that will be another hurtle to deal with. I have some good usdm motors but I wanted to use this motor for something as I kinda like the hyd lifters and the big ports.

On second thought, go dig around on the Liberty forum downunder:
http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/
Those guys frequently convert over to single turbos on their cars. Because the twins are largely vacuum actuated, I suspect that you may be able to run that engine on the TT ecu as a single. It's a very very common conversion for those guys because of the VOD (valley of death) between the spool of the two turbos just shy of 5000rpms. Post back with what you find out.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 11 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

I've tried to get registered on two different aussie forums and it's like they don't want to bother with me. They never send the email sign on reply back to get started searching.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 05:10 AM