Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Long rust repair, To fill or patch
basaltblack
post Apr 13 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,221
Region Association: None

Hey guys. What should I do with these small holes in the longs? Should I patch with pieces of spare longs I have or try to fill the holes with molten metal. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Apr 13 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #2

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

step away a foot or 2 let me see more and I'll tell ya. is that the junction of eh long with the floor board?
+Quote Post
basaltblack
post Apr 13 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #3

Yes it is right where the floor pan get welded to the longs. Very small holes and I think the inner long has two sheets of metal. I heard you can stick a nail in the small holes then weld it in the hole and grind. Oh yah I took the pictures with my damn IPhone. Will take more pictures with actual camera tomorrow
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Apr 13 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #4

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

IMHO, pinholes like that mean it's much worse on the inside. But it's really had to tell from those photos whats going on.
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Apr 13 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,867
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Apr 13 2009, 09:38 PM) *

IMHO, pinholes like that mean it's much worse on the inside. But it's really had to tell from those photos whats going on.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Just cuz u see rust on the outside of something doesn't mean that there isn't any rust underneath. These cars a natorious for rusting. The longs r one of the areas that rust a lot. IMHO...You might want to look inside the longs to c if it's rusted on the inside. Especially since you have the parts to replace the rusted out longs when u find the ares that r rusted. Cut it open and have a look. You have the spare metal; might as well make sure 100% that the longs r rust free before you call it good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Apr 14 2009, 08:34 AM
Post #6

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

This is from my car...

Attached Image

Pinholes on the outside of the longitudinal

Attached Image

This is what was on the inside.

In my opinion how bad this section is depends a lot on how bad your hell hole is. pretty much all of this is due to drainage from the hell hole.

Regarding fixing it. It just really depends upon how "nice" you want your repairs to be and how deep you want to go. I could have just welded on clamshell reinforcements and sprayed down the interior with some type of rust treatment and it might have been just fine for a number of years, but I decided against that.

Here it is after a lot of work and just prior to welding back a new repo outer longitudinal...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
basaltblack
post Apr 14 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #7

Thank you for your input. There is no rust on the outside longs. This is all where water would pool in the floors. I have the floors off ready for replacement and want to fix all of the rust before I weld in the new floor. I might error on the side of caution and open up the long just to see. The hell hole is ok but I think is has been repaired before.
+Quote Post
veltror
post Apr 15 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,978

My pics show more rot outside then I expected and a lot more rot insde....
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Apr 15 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #9

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Here's a thought. Pick the worst area, of the long and cut out a small section (several inches long) that captures the worst area. Look at the inside of the small section and make your decision.

If it's rusty inside, that long rusted out from the inside out and needs fixing.

If it's not, then the long rusted from the outside in and might be patched.

After deciding that it's OK, then you weld the cutout piece back in.

However, if I'm reading the pics correctly. the rust looks to be in a line along the bottom of the long. That line of holes means that there is a local line of weakness in the metal and a tendency to break along the line. To fix it, you have a lot of pinholes to weld without access to the inside of the long. Pinholes tend to get bigger at welding without a copper backing plate, and it can be a real b*tch to weld upside down.

Do a search on sizzling droplets falling into clothing...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Ken
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:59 AM