Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Repainting my rear deck lid, Single stage vs base and clear...
retrofit
post Apr 14 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,943

After doing some repairs to my rear deck lid it is time to paint. The whole car has been repainted 9 (?) years ago by the PO to a different color. It was done in single stage paint. Would it make sense to finish off the lid with enamel like the rest of the car , or, go to base and clear? Right now cost is an issue. I know a can of single stage is going to be a lot less than base and clear. Do some of you guys use single stage in engine compartments and trunks and base and clear for the exposed areas of the car?
Retrofit
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 14 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I think you will have a easier time matching the texture and color with whatever it was repainted with. You did say single stage but then said enamel. I guess you could call enamel single stage but there is a urethane single stage and that is what most people mean by single stage. On daily driver type cars a option would be to use a single stage on the inside as it will not be exposed to the elements and will hold up well and means one less step.
+Quote Post
retrofit
post Apr 15 2009, 09:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,943

QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 14 2009, 06:24 PM) *

I think you will have a easier time matching the texture and color with whatever it was repainted with. You did say single stage but then said enamel. I guess you could call enamel single stage but there is a urethane single stage and that is what most people mean by single stage. On daily driver type cars a option would be to use a single stage on the inside as it will not be exposed to the elements and will hold up well and means one less step.

What I meant by "silngle stage" is using an acrylic enamel only. No clear coat. In
this case I'm using Nason acrylic enamel that I bought from a local auto paint store for chip touch up.
Retrofit
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Apr 15 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #4

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Single stage unless you like driving around with a coat of clear on the rear trunk.

The clearcoat will look different and you will spend a lot of effort to try to minimize the difference.

+Quote Post
rezron
post Apr 16 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

The product that you use would depend alot on your color match. If you have some of th original paint you will have a good match. If not, chances are you will not have a match if you are just going to "panel paint" the deck lid.... unless you have a black car! If you base/clear the decklid you can blend into the tops of the
rear quarters. You should'nt notice a more shiney decklid with clearcoat if the rest of your single stage is buffed and has a good shine.

Ron
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:36 PM