Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> early seat belt installation, or, how hard can this possibly be?
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Apr 19 2009, 12:16 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

Well, after 2 1/2 years, my 914 is back home. Now it's time to re-install some interior bits and do some detailing. First,.....put the three sets of belts in.

Uh-oh!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) How are they oriented? And what belt fastens under the left side of the (fixed) passengers' seat (I'm thinking one of the middle seat belts)?

And lastly, you will see I've included 2 pictures of the drivers' side belt.The long end fastens to the interior of the "roll bar" area, and naturally, the short end mounts onto the inside of the longitudinal (through the carpet).

BUT, the last picture shows the "adjustment loops" that are on the back side (against the driver). Since it has been so long since i've buckled up into this car that I've forgotten, but I thought the Open end of these adjustment loops faced outward. To do that, however, the "buckle" is backwards. Flipping the belts to the other side doesn't work either. I don't know if I have somehow hopelessly tangled them, or my memory of the adjustment loops is incorrect. Hopefully some of you early /4 and /6 owners can look and tell me how these belts go in.

Paul

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 19 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

The pretty part goes on the outside!

In regards to the buckle, you need to flip the belt over so the adjuster sliders face outward with the buckle.

The boltholes ON THE FLOOR near the center tunnel are for the center seat. The boltholes on the side of the center tunnel are for the driver/passenger seat belts.

Do you have the little plastic spacers? I don't see them in your pic. You need two for each bolt, otherwise the mounting tabs will sit lose on the bolts.

I can take some pics of my belts on the '70 car later ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Apr 19 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Thanks for info, the "pretty side" out is how I remembered it. But no matter how I flip, twist, invert, or orient the buckle, it is always in-side-out if the adjuster sliders face correctly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

BTW, I do have all the plastic collars, metal washers and collars to fit the belts into the car.

Paul
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 19 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #4

Resident German

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 19 2009, 12:26 PM) *

Thanks for info, the "pretty side" out is how I remembered it. But no matter how I flip, twist, invert, or orient the buckle, it is always in-side-out if the adjuster sliders face correctly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

You need to twist the belt over itself where it goes through the buckle, then gently pull and the buckle will end up facing the other way.
Kinda hard to describe, it's pretty easy, really.

Right where the belt goes through the first loop on the buckle, take one side of the belt and fold it over itself in about an 45 degree angle. Press the corner down firmly and pull the belt through the buckle. Once the folded over part is through the loop, the buckle will be on the other side where you want it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Andy
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Apr 19 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I've spent most of the afternoon and part of tonite screwing with these #*@&% belts. I twisted them so many ways I didn't think I'd ever get them unknotted. I think I've tried every variation of turning the belts inside-out and/or folding them over to reverse them through the buckle. I always end up back to the original configuration as pictured in the first post after I undo all the twists that result from trying to get the buckle and adjustable slider both facing outward.

Something that should be so simple surely is confounding me. I'm stuck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 19 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #6

Resident German

I'll take some pix tomorrow, too late now.

It's really simple.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Apr 20 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 19 2009, 10:33 AM) *

The boltholes ON THE FLOOR near the center tunnel are for the center seat. The boltholes on the side of the center tunnel are for the driver/passenger seat belts.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy

And as I look at all six pieces of belt, I'm remembering that the middle passenger belt mounting tabs are angled, whereas the release end for driver/passenger is a flat mounting tab that bolts to the side of the center tunnel.

It's sure good to have my 914 back, but it's a little daunting to realize how much I've forgotten about the hardware details. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Thanks for the help, Andy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 20 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Well, what do you know ...

I just went out to my car and my seatbelts are just as yours, ugly side out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

And the folding over doesn't work either because both belts are actually closed loops ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Apr 21 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Thanks for checking Andy, now I won't lose any more time trying to make them conform to a non-existent standard.

Paul
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 07:58 PM